Bad: Call 911 and then get shot by police

This is a discussion on Bad: Call 911 and then get shot by police within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Going to be interesting on how this one plays out..... San Diego Police Under Fire After Accidentally Shooting Jennifer Orey, Who Called 911 Over Night ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bad: Call 911 and then get shot by police

Bad: Call 911 and then get shot by police

2. Remove Ads

[San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore] said the deputies thought Orey’s open gate looked suspicious, so they went into her backyard. The deputies ran into Orey, and one of them had a “spontaneous reaction.”
    A person that jumpy could just as easily have shot his one of his partners.

Michael
    Spade115 likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Doesn't sound good at all. Must have been a reactionary shot. I wonder if the cop was new.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Will, or should, this incident be investigated the same as it would be if it was the homeowner that had the “spontaneous reaction”? Should the outcome of the investigation be different depending on who was shot?

Michael
    W9HDG likes this.

Assuming the facts are as told, which appear to be so given the quote about the police even indicating she was not carrying anything, the officer who shot this woman should be fired and brought up on appropriate charges.
    W9HDG, Secret_Storm and RichB70 like this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    That'll teach her.
    pocketgroove and tricolordad like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Dressing up as a deer in deer season can be dangerous. When awaiting the inbound cavalry, it's easy to be mistaken for a likely-armed, unknown person on your property if you do everything to appear as a likely-armed, unknown person on that property.

Seems simple to me, but I'd think it's far better to either (a) stay inside until they've arrived and made contact, or (b) stay on the phone with dispatch until they've arrived and made contact. Either that, or don't call them while you head out to "clear" your own property, as is typical with folks in the boondocks on their own farms/ranches.

As for being shot, I wonder what the actual perceived threat was, or whether the mere appearance of another person was the trigger.
    W9HDG and beararms like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Spontaneous reaction is what happens after eating a burrito,Sounds like the LEO had his booger hook on the bang switch and shot an unarmed homeowner.
    I've been out on suspicious person calls back in the day,and even ran into a few homeowners that called it in,we surprised them and not the other way around,since we moved slow and methodical and kept our fingers off the trigger while looking and listening for any perps.
    This is the kind of guy thats gonna end up shooting his partner because he may want to be a Cop,but is deep down inside scared to death that he may get injured or killed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

So the home owner calls reporting a man wearing a ski mask and they shoot her? This definitely sounds like a cop who shouldn't be a cop and also sounds like a cop who could very well kill his own partner.

I have nothing against competent officers but cops like this guy are the reason many do not have faith in or trust LE.

He needs to be fired and brought up on the same charges any civilian would be if they committed the same CRIME.

Sent from my palm device
    Sig 210 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    This is the kind of guy thats gonna end up shooting his partner because he may want to be a Cop,but is deep down inside scared to death that he may get injured or killed

^^^^^THIS^^^^

AND, was this guy afraid of the dark or what?
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

VIP Member
    OK, going outside was not the best move, but do we really need cops that shoot anything that moves??? And then make false statements to the press - well we shot her, but only in the arm. When the facts are they shot her in the chest and a fragment hit her hand. Sounds like more than one officer here screwed up.

Tangential subject - what was the female anchor wearing. It looked to me like one of those foil rescue blankets...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Wow! There goes a career in Law Enforcement. I hope she recovers and collects some well earned coin for her suffering.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Not defending the LEO, but there are common-sense things we can do to protect ourselves from an over-zealous responder.

A couple years ago, my neighbor's (who are also my parents, who were out of town at the time), alarm went off and I got a call from our local dispatch that officers were en-route. I said "great", I'm going to stay here in the house while ya'll check it out. When your officer is ready to speak to me, have him give me a call, and I'll meet them. 15 minutes later, after investigating, the officer called and asked if I could come out. I told him that I'd be coming out the front door and that I'd be turning on the front porch light prior to coming out.

Nobody taught me to do that. It just seemed like common sense to take every precaution to ensure that I was not mistaken for the prowler.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

This is why it is better to shoot the burglar yourself, then call the cops to haul the body off, while you are safely inside your house with the lights on.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

There are alot of commits going through my head. Best to keep them to myslf.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links