good -Police Kill Chicago Man's Dog During Raid, Jury Awards Family $330,000

This is a discussion on good -Police Kill Chicago Man's Dog During Raid, Jury Awards Family $330,000 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Chicago Tribune reports that the police department had a warrant to search two apartment units in the 9200 block of South Justine Street in ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mlr1m
  • 1 Post By rammerjammer
  • 2 Post By HotGuns

Thread: good -Police Kill Chicago Man's Dog During Raid, Jury Awards Family $330,000

The Chicago Tribune reports that the police department had a warrant to search two apartment units in the 9200 block of South Justine Street in February of 2009 as part of a drug investigation. They reportedly entered the second floor apartment of Thomas Russell, who was 18 at the time, with their guns drawn.
    The office refused to let the man put up the dog and then shot the dog when it appeared. Cops shooting a family dog have gott’in out of control

Aside from the $330,000 in damages awarded to the family, the officer who shot the dog was ordered to pay $2,000 in punitive damages, NBC Chicago reports. His supervisor had to pay $1,000.

The man that shot the dog should have been fired at the very least.

Michael
    Spade115 likes this.

I have a friend who is a SWAT team leader. They have orders to shoot dogs on sight during a raid if they perceive them to be threats.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
    I have a friend who is a SWAT team leader. They have orders to shoot dogs on sight during a raid if they perceive them to be threats.
    Yup and its easier to just shoot the hound even if they are not a threat.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
    They do the same to people and, based on recent news stories, don't seem to need much in the way of an excuse. Lots of folks here are quick to excuse it. Why the outcry over dogs?

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Good for the dog owners
    minimalbrat likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

What sucks is the taxpayers of Chicago are now on the hook for something that d-bag did. As a dog lover with two dogs that every bit a part of my family, I would tell them to shove the cash, I want his badge and his gun.
    @Fitch-- I'm sorry, guess I haven't heard of any egregious and excusable LEO shootings. What are you referring to?

VIP Member
    I'm not sayin' nothing .
    There is no link to a story, no original story to get what happened.

$330,000 in damages??

What else could they have damaged besides the dog.
    No dog is worth $330,000.
    I love dogs, ain't too crazy about cats, but my daughters just had to have one, and so far we're on our third, but I digress.
    I could see $20,000 but this is rediculous, w/o hearing what actually went down.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I love my dog, but for $330,000...

It all depends on how it actually went down ... whether the dog attacked or the owner drove it to do so; whether it was a deadly dangerous sort with a bad temper (vs merely a yap-yap); whether the officer leaped to assumption. Can't see how $300K equates to the value of a dog lost, though, no matter how preemptive an action was claimed to be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sorry I don't just see this as "just a dog", this is a wrongful action lawsuit. Bad info and not knowing the target along with shooting the dog= damages. Police informants get paid to pass along info but the cops have a responsibility to research that info before destroying someones life and just writing it off as a mistake

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I'm not sayin' nothing .
    There is no link to a story, no original story to get what happened.

$330,000 in damages??

What else could they have damaged besides the dog.
    No dog is worth $330,000.
    I love dogs, ain't too crazy about cats, but my daughters just had to have one, and so far we're on our third, but I digress.
    I could see $20,000 but this is rediculous, w/o hearing what actually went down.
    Jury awards $333,000 to family after cops shoot their dog. - Chicago Tribune
    Not exactly breaking news.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    one of the problems with the internet is there are a lot of people rerunning info and the article I viewed was dated last month. when I run something I try to get a second view to make sure of the date but evern the best made plans can have flaws

Senior Moderator
    And so that this one dosent turn into a fiasco like the rest of the dog threads...this one is closed.
    Rock and Glock and Spade115 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links