Armed man wearing military camo, ballistic vest arrested near Martinsburg schools

Armed man wearing military camo, ballistic vest arrested near Martinsburg schools

This is a discussion on Armed man wearing military camo, ballistic vest arrested near Martinsburg schools within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; August 20, 2012|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD | matthew.umstead@herald-mail.com William Everett Alemar, 23, is charged with committing terroristic act, other offenses; bond set at $50,000 MARTINSBURG, W.Va. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Armed man wearing military camo, ballistic vest arrested near Martinsburg schools

August 20, 2012|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD | matthew.umstead@herald-mail.com

William Everett Alemar, 23, is charged with committing terroristic act, other offenses; bond set at $50,000

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — An Army National Guardsman who was carrying a training rifle and wearing military desert camouflage and a ballistic vest was arrested Monday morning after he was spotted running near two Martinsburg schools, police and military officials said.

Monday was the first day of classes for the 2012-13 school year in Berkeley County.

William Everett Alemar, 23, of 1013 S. Raleigh St., Apt. 3 in Martinsburg, was charged with committing a terroristic act and wearing body armor while committing a felony offense, according to police and court records.

Alemar was being held Monday night in Eastern Regional Jail on a $50,000 cash-only bond set by Berkeley County Magistrate Sandra L. Miller, according to court and jail records.

http://articles.herald-mail.com/2012...-schools-rifle
    =======
    What was this guy thinking? I know soldiers will run with full rucks, etc for training, but running with the rifle in public? He wasn't thinking about the trouble it would create IMHO! If you see his Mug shot. it makes the old sarge in me frown. It appears He has a three-week of beard growing and he was out in public in uniform running around. Just a pet-preeve.
    In the report, LEO found military equipment in his house! OMG! a National Guardsmen with his TA-50 secured in his home? Who would think such a thing could happens? Really? Sad.

Now what is the Left leaning media agenda going to make of it? Can we actually trust the National Guard now? Really? Jeez! My2cents

West Virginia ... He was "charged with committing a terroristic act and wearing body armor while committing a felony offense."

IANAL, but it looks like WV Code 61-7-11a is fairly clear, regarding no carry at "educational facilities." Though, the article suggests he was running on the public roadway with a couple of schools nearby, and the code doesn't seem to dictate that an exclusion zone exists around education facilities:

Quote Originally Posted by WV Code 61-7-11a
    WV Code 61-7-11a. Possessing deadly weapons on premises of educational facilities.

(b) (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess any firearm or any other deadly weapon on any school bus ... or in or on any public or private primary or secondary education building, structure, facility or grounds thereof ...

(3) Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a felony ...

As for body armor, it looks like WV Code 61-7-15 is also fairly clear:

Quote Originally Posted by WV Code 61-7-15
    WV Code 61-7-15. Persons prohibited from committing violent crime while wearing body armor; penalties.

(a) A person who wears or is otherwise equipped with body armor while committing a felony offense, an element of which is force, the threat of force, physical harm to another or the use or presentment of a firearm or other deadly weapon, is guilty of a felony ...

(b) As used in this section, "body armor" means a jacket, vest, or other similar apparel or device constructed to provide ballistic resistance to penetration and deformation and intended to protect the human torso against gunfire ...
    NotMallNinja likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wheres the link to the story,IIRC just copying and pasting the story without pasting the source is considered Copyright Infringement
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Armed man wearing military camo, ballistic vest arrested near Martinsburg schools - Herald-Mail

Sorry, I don't post often. First paragraph and then link with comment, correct?

More information here.
    Man with armor, training rifle arrested - journal-news.net | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal
    I was trying to find out what they were calling a training rifle when I came across this.
    Swartwood said the training rifle Alemar was found with fires small pellet projectiles and not bullets, similar to an airsoft rifle. He said the rifle is used for training purposes, but looks exactly like a real AR-15.

"It's heavy and it looks completely just like an AR-15 other than that red tip on it," Swartwood said.
    I can not fault anyone for stopping the man. What sounds odd to me is that in the article the OP linked to it was reported that the person calling in the report said the man was carrying a training rifle. Not how most ordinary folks would identify a rifle being carried by someone.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by baren View Post
    Armed man wearing military camo, ballistic vest arrested near Martinsburg schools - Herald-Mail

Sorry, I don't post often. First paragraph and then link with comment, correct?
    Yeah, basically. I try to post a brief synopis/thoughts about what I'm posting, as well, so that folks needn't necessarily read the full story without understanding why they're doing so. That, plus the link and a snippet of relevant elements from the article, and you're good to go.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Looks like a Soldier made a poor decision to train as he did. Absent substantially more evidence than what's in the article I'd say the Soldier will have charges dismissed well before trial. Hopefully the kid doesn't accept some kind of plea deal to gain dismissal after diversion, etc.

He should have learned the rule of "Stupids". Do stupid things...win stupid prizes.
    baren likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member
    I thought W.Virginia was an open carry state...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    My initial take on this is that he's a relatively young kid (had a tour in Iraq if I remember correctly), and was out for a PT run, thinking that he's Hooah and going to wear a vest for the weight and training value---he knows he's carrying a lousy pellet gun--also for the weight and hooah factor, and he probably never even gave a thought to running past a school--he probably didn't even know it was the first day of school. (if you don't have kids or grandkids--how many younger folks give a real thought to things like the first day of school).

How many of us, if we CC during our runs give a lot of thought to merely running past a school--we are often focused on simply getting through the run........
    NotMallNinja, Eagleks and joker1 like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This thread reminds me of the one about what would you change about the judicial / legal system in this country. I am really starting to believe that doing something stupid by accident shouldn't be a crime as crimes should necessitate criminal intent. I read stories like this and it becomes clear just how far down the wrong track this country has gone. In regards to this guy's actions, stupid maybe, but felony, my foot.
    CIBMike, Eagleks, ccw9mm and 5 others like this.

Some of the guardsman here make a run in full gear but I have yet to see them carrying a training rifle. Even when they do that one or two times a year, it makes such a spectacle, traffic stops, horns honking, cops standing around watching, high school girls are screaming bleh...

As for the guy calling in identifying it as a training rifle...set up maybe? lol I played lotsa lotsa pranks on the new guys...like hiding uniforms and sewing his insignia on inside out and crooked lmao nothing that ever got anybody in real trouble though. Our Cpt. thought the uniform trick was some funny stuff ACUs ruined it

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    I thought W.Virginia was an open carry state...
    That may be, but he wasn't charged with illegal carry.

He would've been fine except for the cadence he was calling ....

Model A Ford and a tank full of gas ...
    CIBMike and baren like this.

I can't believe the responding cops didn't just say "Dude, next time don't carry a real looking rifle while you're doing PT" and leave it at that. I really can't believe he is getting the book thrown at him over this.

I've ruck marched on the back country roads around my home town while on leave with body armor and a ruck on before....granted I had on a reflective belt, didn't have camo on, and didn't have a rifle (toy or otherwise). Oh, and it wasn't close to schools on the first day back from summer vacation.
    Eagleks likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links