Stupid: Professor to Cancel Class if Students Carry - Page 2

Stupid: Professor to Cancel Class if Students Carry

This is a discussion on Stupid: Professor to Cancel Class if Students Carry within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Stupidity 2 Professor. The Professor cannot see what is concealed though it might prove useful one day. In scientific terms, a concealed weapon in your ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Stupid: Professor to Cancel Class if Students Carry

Stupidity2 Professor. The Professor cannot see what is concealed though it might prove useful one day. In scientific terms, a concealed weapon in your classroom is analogous to scientific realism while ignoring its utility denies instrumentalism. Wake up and smell the coffee Jerry.

PhD = Post Hole Digger or Piled Higher and Deeper

I've worked with many and I've only met a handful that had any common sense. My wife keeps pushing me to get mine and I tell her that won't because I don't want to spend thousands of dollars just to lose my mind...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    I've worked with many and I've only met a handful that had any common sense. My wife keeps pushing me to get mine and I tell her that won't because I don't want to spend thousands of dollars just to lose my mind...
    My dept. Chair (whom I have tremendous respect for) encouraged me to stay and join the faculty. I asked "why, so I can hang out with all these morons that we both can't stand"? With his blessing, I ran to the private sector and never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    My dept. Chair (whom I have tremendous respect for) encouraged me to stay and join the faculty. I asked "why, so I can hang out with all these morons that we both can't stand"? With his blessing, I ran to the private sector and never looked back.
    I like your Department Chair!

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    How is he going to know if someone is carrying concealed? He sounds like a guy with more mouth than thought process.
    I think this is the same university that recently decided they would establish "special" dorms for those that are 21 and have concealed carry licenses. So I can just see it now concealed carry will be an admission question and if you CC you will be segregrated into these dorms so everyone will know who CC's. I hope their enrollment drops to zero and they go out of business with their chicago/D.C. style of complying with the law.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    This guy is a Professor of Physics. I would turn this whole situation around and relate it to something he should know about. The first day of class I would walk in and go all Issac Newton on this guy with the Laws of Motion.

First law: An object at rest, stays at rest unless acted upon by another force or object.
    Meaning my gun stays in my holster and will not fire until I take it out of the holster and pull the trigger.

Second law: The acceleration of an object is proportional to force applied to the object and inversely proportional to the mass of an object.
    Okay, I would have to give that one some thought.

Third law: Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
    Meaning if a BG comes in and starts shooting, I pull out my gun and I start shooting back.

I am sure a man with his vast education would be able to apply it to this situation.
    JoJoGunn and mano3 like this.

VIP Member
    The school needs to give him a choice. Either follow the law and fulfill your obligation to the school, or lose tenure.
    surefire7 and mano3 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    This guy is a Professor of Physics. I would turn this whole situation around and relate it to something he should know about. The first day of class I would walk in and go all Issac Newton on this guy with the Laws of Motion.

First law: An object at rest, stays at rest unless acted upon by another force or object.
    Meaning my gun stays in my holster and will not fire until I take it out of the holster and pull the trigger.

Second law: The acceleration of an object is proportional to force applied to the object and inversely proportional to the mass of an object.
    Okay, I would have to give that one some thought.

Third law: Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
    Meaning if a BG comes in and starts shooting, I pull out my gun and I start shooting back.

I am sure a man with his vast education would be able to apply it to this situation.
    Don't hold your breath. He's the professor, he teaches and cannot be taught.
    mano3 and JDE101 like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The school needs to give him a choice. Either follow the law and fulfill your obligation to the school, or lose tenure.
    In today's Daily Camera (Boulder newspaper) the University Pres basically said that the class would not be cancelled or the prof would be terminated should he decide to cancel class. Maybe there are some sane folks there at the "Republic of Boulder" campus??
    NotMallNinja and msgt/ret like this.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Lets see if I'm a student that means I paid tuition and entered into an agreement with the College that for my tuition I would be taught in the classes I signed up for.If the professor decided he would not teach me just because I am lawfully carrying a concealed weapon then I think you would have a pretty good breach of contract case,or if he decided to flunk you even tho you did the work and should have received a good grade sounds like another lawsuit.
    I think the "Nutty" Professor needs to go teach at some Southern Cali school if he wants to feel good about not having a buncha people exercising their rights around him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    In today's Daily Camera (Boulder newspaper) the University Pres basically said that the class would not be cancelled or the prof would be terminated should he decide to cancel class. Maybe there are some sane folks there at the "Republic of Boulder" campus??
    I'm delighted to hear that. Need to have some sanity in Boulder.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    I read the article: CU-Boulder: Profs have no right to cancel classes over gun-carrying students - Boulder Daily Camera

I do not come away with the same reading of it as you. From the article are the following quotes:

"University of Colorado Chancellor Phil DiStefano notified the Boulder campus faculty Tuesday afternoon that professors "do not have the right to shut down a class or refuse to teach" should they learn that one of their students is lawfully carrying a gun under a concealed-carry permit."

"DiStefano added, any faculty members who do so will be in violation of their contracts and face disciplinary action."

"Hilliard declined to speculate on what type of disciplinary actions professors could face if they cancel classes to keep guns out of their classrooms, saying such cases would be handled by department chairs."

The online was posted at 5 in the afternoon yesterday which correlates to today's print edition. Am I missing something?

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bliss_137 View Post
    Took a quick look at Professor Peterson's picture - unless he has a hidden superpower I don't think he could protect his class or even himself in a Virginia Tech shooting situation. Yet he wants to assume that responsibility.

It's ironic that Peterson's research area is nuclear physics. If there was ever a smoking gun in the room.... A nuclear physicist who expects society to trust him and others like him with the knowledge of nuclear power and weapons but fears a student qualified to defend themselves with a pistol. Really?

Poor thinking indeed. This doesn't happen very often, but I find myself embarrassed to be a physicist.
    This is happening to me all too often lately, I find myself embarrassed to have been an Educator (retired now).

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Don't hold your breath. He's the professor, he teaches and cannot be taught.
    I know I was just being facetious about the whole thing. All the logic in the world isn't going to turn this guy around.

Here is his page on RateMyProfessor.com

Jerry*Peterson - University of Colorado - RateMyProfessors.com

Feel free to give him low marks and comments. I know I just did.
    SA MC Operator
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    G26
    Sig P238

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links