Stupid: Professor to Cancel Class if Students Carry

This is a discussion on Stupid: Professor to Cancel Class if Students Carry within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hmmm... I wonder who's class the deranged gunman will choose to shoot up? Professor defies campus concealed carry laws with threat to cancel class | ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Stupid: Professor to Cancel Class if Students Carry

Hmmm... I wonder who's class the deranged gunman will choose to shoot up?

Professor defies campus concealed carry laws with threat to cancel class | The Daily Caller
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

How is he going to know if someone is carrying concealed? He sounds like a guy with more mouth than thought process.
    WHEC724, W9HDG and GoldwingElf like this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    . I know it's beating a dead horse, but...

"Concealed means concealed"
    Dutch1951, W9HDG and GoldwingElf like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    How is he going to know if someone is carrying concealed? He sounds like a guy with more mouth than thought process.
    'Reminds me of most of my professors.
    mano3 likes this.

Hmmmm, doesn't "concealed carry" imply concealed? And how would this idiot liberal gun hating pointy headed intellectual nerd professor know that any of his students were carrying if they carried concealed?

Just cause ya got a PhD doesn't mean ya got any common sense!!! Sounds like this egghead has a totally irrational fear of an inanimate object. Sounds like a psychological problem to me! Maybe the school ought to have him evaluated to see if he is competent to be teaching young minds!! He doesn't sound too logical or rational to me! Maybe he is suffering from mental illness and could snap at any moment an reek havoc in his classroom with some of the implements in the physics lab! OMG, some of those things can be dangerous!
    BigStick likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Easy resolution, cancel professor peterson’s contract to teach and replace him with a professor willing to teach without discrimination.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sounds like the college should give this Prof his walking papers! Yeah, like that will happen.......
    W9HDG likes this.

Fool. Proving once again that education is not a direct relative of intelligence...
    Dutch1951 and GunGeezer like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

As I have often said about some of my fellow administrators, there is a big difference between intelligence and wisdom.

http://vspages.com/intelligence-vs-wisdom-3535/
    ppkheat and GunGeezer like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This sums it up good for me

“It’s concerning that a member of CU-Boulder’s respected faculty would display such a personal and professional contempt for the law. The issue has been resolved in the Colorado Supreme Court; tenure doesn’t give anyone the right to rule otherwise. For the most part, we’re pleased with the conduct of the college itself, but the lack of maturity or professionalism on the part of a few is disturbing.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/22/pr...#ixzz24IlzpgmL

Took a quick look at Professor Peterson's picture - unless he has a hidden superpower I don't think he could protect his class or even himself in a Virginia Tech shooting situation. Yet he wants to assume that responsibility.

It's ironic that Peterson's research area is nuclear physics. If there was ever a smoking gun in the room.... A nuclear physicist who expects society to trust him and others like him with the knowledge of nuclear power and weapons but fears a student qualified to defend themselves with a pistol. Really?

Poor thinking indeed. This doesn't happen very often, but I find myself embarrassed to be a physicist.

cj
    Wife works for a college and the Colorado policy was discussed. As the people around her squirmed uncomfortably, my wife pointed out their choice: Have people who are going to carry illegally anyway in their class, or have people who have some training and background checked also there. She indicated a few people around her had a, "Gee, I hadn't thought of THAT" moment.

Sounds like this prof would cause a lot of problems for the university if he somehow tries to go through with his stance...lots of people forget in a university setting that students are paying for a service, unlike high school, and not providing the service that was agreed to because of a personal opinion would cause some problems. Imagine stating that you wouldn't teach students who had had an abortion and see how far you'd get.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Not surprised by this at all. What I am surprised with is that there aren't other professors at CU doing the same thing.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would never wish for an innocent to get shot, but this guy might be stepping out of the innocent role, and into the role of facilitator. Would it be justice for his class to be attacked? Well, not fair for his students I guess, but maybe then he could actually be teaching them something of value.
    Walk softly ...

If he cancels class that means more time at the range!
    mano3 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links