Norway killer Anders Breivik - Page 2

Norway killer Anders Breivik

This is a discussion on Norway killer Anders Breivik within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Justice is about receiving a punishment fitting of the crime committed. His sentence doesn't qualify as justice in my opinion, even if that is what ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Norway killer Anders Breivik

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Justice is about receiving a punishment fitting of the crime committed. His sentence doesn't qualify as justice in my opinion, even if that is what the law demands. The law is unjust.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    But if you kill them all the recidivism rate would be......? And the 52% reincarceration accounts for what percent of our current population? If we execute drunk drivers and substance abusers and kids stealing snickers bars we would reduce our prison populations to a small fraction of what they are today.
    I was just making the point that we might not agree with the punishment he is getting but what ever Norway is doing it is working for Norway. Now they do not have very much racial diversity and much smaller gap between rich and poor than we do. These (and mandatory military service) might contibute to the lower levels of social strife there.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

...as always with these things, the devil is in the details

Reading the ruling, Judge Wenche Elisabeth Arntzen said that "in a unanimous decision ... the court sentences the defendant to 21 years of preventive detention."

However, such sentences can be extended under Norwegian law as long as an inmate is considered dangerous. Experts have said Breivik is likely to spend the rest of his life behind bars. Norway doesn't have the death penalty.

Norway massacre gunman Anders Breivik declared sane, gets 21-year sentence - World News

I added the emphasis since some people apparently overlooked it. I doubt this fellow will ever walk free, even in Norway.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I was just making the point that we might not agree with the punishment he is getting but what ever Norway is doing it is working for Norway. Now they do not have very much racial diversity and much smaller gap between rich and poor than we do. These (and mandatory military service) might contibute to the lower levels of social strife there.
    Oh I agree that what works for them works for them. I don't think we would ever have a system as draconian as what I was proposing, but there are many alternatives that could work. There are systems around the world that deal with such things as drug use in what we would call extreme and brutal fashion. While such methods are clearly prohibited by our constitution there is no doubt that they work where they are used.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    We have the highest rate of incarcerated folks per capita of any country in the world.

There's still crime.

What are we doing wrong?
    All the Tupperware parties, probably. The recidivists can't abide 'em.

Seriously though, it's clear the incentives to avoid crime just aren't there. It's seen as either paying, or as a more-viable alternative to an upstanding life. IMO, part of the solution's got to be to improve education and "connections" with the upstanding lifestyle; and part's got to be to ensure disincentives against crime are actual disincentives.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Seriously though, it's clear the incentives to avoid crime just aren't there. It's seen as either paying, or as a more-viable alternative to an upstanding life. IMO, part of the solution's got to be to improve education and "connections" with the upstanding lifestyle; and part's got to be to ensure disincentives against crime are actual disincentives.
    Very poignant observation. Thinking about this, what if I was a person that was just out for me? Now what if I was already a convicted felon? Heck, I've got a free pass to try to get away with whatever I can, because even if I get caught, I'll do a little time (no rent, no grocery bills) and I bounce back out no worse than when I went in! Then it's time to roll the dice again.

Yup, there is very little risk and consequence for the professional dirtbag.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

I am definitely not a bleeding heart liberal type but the reality is for some segments of our population incarceration results in better living conditions than they have on the outside. There are two ways of dealing with this situation. While some would say we should make their situation on the outside significantly better, I think the more realistic solution is to make the conditions on the inside even less appealing. Ask the guests of Joe Arpaio how they like things there. Every interview I have seen the residents of his tent city say they are getting out of his county as soon as they can. This does not necessarily mean they are giving up a life of crime, just that they don't want to end up back in his jail. The net result for the residents of Maricopa County is pretty much the same.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links