UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck

This is a discussion on UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 Driving away makes one guilty of leaving the scene of an accident. Not if the circumstances warrant it. You can drive ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Driving away makes one guilty of leaving the scene of an accident.
    Not if the circumstances warrant it. You can drive down just enough that the other party can't get to you. And, if they come running after, you continue until they can't reach you and then contact the police. You are not forced by any law I know about to stay at the accident scene if you are in danger.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Driving away makes one guilty of leaving the scene of an accident...
    You're kidding, right?

"Yah, I didn't want to leave the scene of an accident, so I shot him".

suntzu and ParaSig like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    As a very conscientious cyclist who rides with many other very conscientious cyclists I have to disagree. Cyclists generally, in my experience, break driving laws about the same as do regular drivers. Driving last night after work I lost count at how many people failed to stop completely at stop signs and who drove WELL above the legal speed limit.
    I must disagree. I have biked all over the country and cyclists (especially the ones in cycling clubs) are inconsiderate. They ride two to thre abreast even if they are holding up traffic. Ride the white line even though there is a 5 foot well maintained shoulder.

Just in the last 6 days I have seen this:
    1)I was running and a group of cyclists were coming toward me. No sidewalk or shoulder to speak of. They did not move out of the way (not traffic on the road at the time. I had to move into a ditch. If those were cars that would be assualt or negligence. BTW:I run that road a lot and drivers give me a wide berth. (except a LEO last week but that is another subject LOL)

2) Riding to Austin with my wife on Saturday on a back road. Group of cyclists 2-3 abreast spilling over into the roadway impeding traffic.

Happens all the time.....
    Sig35seven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I must disagree. I have biked all over the country and cyclists (especially the ones in cycling clubs) are inconsiderate. They ride two to thre abreast even if they are holding up traffic. Ride the white line even though there is a 5 foot well maintained shoulder.

Just in the last 2 days I have seen this:
    1)I was running and a group of cyclists were coming toward me. No sidewalk or shoulder to speak of. They did not move out of the way (not traffic on the road at the time. I had to move into a ditch. If those were cars that would be assualt or negligence. BTW:I run that road a lot and drivers give me a wide berth. (except a LEO last week but that is another subject LOL)

2) Riding to Austin with my wife on Saturday on a back road. Group of cyclists 2-3 abreast spilling over into the roadway impeding traffic.

Happens all the time.....
    While it is not how I ride in most states cyclists have the right to be on the road to the left of the white line as do cars. There is a common misperception that they must ride the shoulder (of course if there is a designated bike lane they are required to use it).

I ride between 8 to 10k miles a year but at the times I ride there aren't large groups out.
    ParaSig likes this.

While it is not how I ride in most states cyclists have the right to be on the road to the left of the white line as do cars. There is a common misperception that they must ride the shoulder (of course if there is a designated bike lane they are required to use it).

I ride between 8 to 10k miles a year but at the times I ride there aren't large groups out.
    I know that....point is when there is busy traffic you should out of courtesy move to the right for the safety of all. I am not talking about laws...about courtesy. Riding the white line on a two lane road is idiotic when two semi-s are approaching each other. They can only move over so far.

I'm in agreement. I guess I've just been away from large groups of cyclists so long that my frame of reference is skewed. In either case it's not how I ride. I give all vehicles wide berth as I am no match for them.

Many of these folks believe the same about motorcycles. That it is fine and allowable for them to use the portion of the lane you are not in.

Michael

I am not sure of laws in all states and all roads but is it not illegal to impede traffic? NotMallNinja says that cyclists have the right to be on the left of the white line. That is only if they are not impeding traffic in that lane.

No matter which way you cut it is rude and not courteous. I swear, next time that group tried to force me into a ditch I am going to stand there. i have a right to be there also. I will fair much better than they would once they try to swerve out of my way. Not being a jerk but I did everything I could to move to the side as much as I could, they had the entire raod with no traffic in either lane.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    For the novice reading this thread, driving away is a far better option if possible.
    Unless/until more details come out, I am with you on this one.

As a bicyclist. I bike to work 3 days a week. Most cyclist around here ignore stop signs/lights, I do not. But, you must keep in mind, regardless of if a cyclist is right or wrong, care must be taken around them.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    My first reaction would probably have been to move my vehicle, but this assumes I have room to immediately do so without running into another vehicle behind me or into cross traffic ahead of me. That aside, however, I have a general tendency to fault the person who initiates the assault. Don't want the risk of getting shot? Then don't open the door to the possibility by physically assaulting someone.

I don't know you and I'm not the Man of Steel. How hard do you hit? How many hits before you stop? Are you the kind of person to immediately escalate the situation with a weapon if I fight back? Your assault is already evidence that you don't manage anger very well. It only takes one solid punch in the right spot to put a person into the wide, wide world of hurt for a LONG time. I'm supposed to trust your finely-honed fighting skills and sense of compassion that you'll avoid ringing that bell? Not happening. Keep it verbal or take your chances.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I am not sure of laws in all states and all roads but is it not illegal to impede traffic? NotMallNinja says that cyclists have the right to be on the left of the white line. That is only if they are not impeding traffic in that lane.

Cyclist are part of traffic, and carry no responsibility to provide any thought to faster traffic. Keep in mind, your car is registered and licensed because it is a dangerous and destructive device. THere is no second amendment for automobiles, but courts have in the past found that human powered transportation is a right.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

No matter which way you cut it is rude and not courteous. I swear, next time that group tried to force me into a ditch I am going to stand there. i have a right to be there also. I will fair much better than they would once they try to swerve out of my way. Not being a jerk but I did everything I could to move to the side as much as I could, they had the entire raod with no traffic in either lane.
    In Texas:

Persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast. Persons riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane. Persons riding two abreast may
    not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway. Persons may not ride more than two abreast unless they are riding on a part of a roadway set aside for the exclusive operation of bicycles. Sec. 551.103(c) TRANSPORTATION CODE**CHAPTER 551. OPERATION OF BICYCLES, MOPEDS, AND PLAY VEHICLES

It comes down to what is considered impeding traffic: does the vehicle have the ability to legally pass perhaps?

So you are saying it is perfectly acceptable for 80 year old lady to be riding in the middle of a road that is marked 55 mph?

I also do not know all the laws. Outside of posting a minimum speed limit how would you work it? And if you did have one would it apply to farm equipment and those folks who drive their cars at 20 mph when the speed limit is 45?

Michael

So you are saying it is perfectly acceptable for 80 year old lady to be riding in the middle of a road that is marked 55 mph?
    Acceptable to me? No. Legal in Texas (and many other states): Yes

Would I do it? No. As I said, I give vehicles wide berth -- they are bigger than me and I will lose.

Sec. 551.103. OPERATION ON ROADWAY. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway,

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links