UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck

This is a discussion on UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If it's as reported ... You want to unjustifiably attack someone, so violently that another fears serious harm, then you get what you get....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck

If it's as reported ...

You want to unjustifiably attack someone, so violently that another fears serious harm, then you get what you get.
    jumpwing, 40Bob and Gun Bunny like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Don't need to leave the scene...just roll up your window and lock the door and call 911.
    If leaving the scene is not an option, this would be a good second. If they managed to break the window it also makes for good castle doctrine evidence.
    Edit (follow up):
    You want to unjustifiably attack someone, so violently that another fears serious harm, then you get what you get.
    For the record, this is one of the reasons why I have a real problem with the idea of "just a fist fight", which to me assumes that one would willingly get into such an event and attempts to down play the significance. If it were up to me, being physically attacked would not be such a minor offense, not to mention the whole issue of "just a fist fight" becoming deadly in a seconds.
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
    Most bicycle riders don't follow the law of the road.
    Idiotic, unsubstantiated, and immature post. I've nearly been hit twice. Interestingly, my worst case involved being run off the road by a huge SUV, while the driver shouted obscenities about how bikes have no business being on the streets. Interestingly, there was a biking "share the road" sign within a couple hundred yards. Even more interesting was his license plate - RT2BEAR.

We called the cops, who said that they've had a couple reports of the same guy.

That's not you, is it?
    ParaSig likes this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    How about this one:
    Many bicycle riders don't follow the law of the road.

How about this: some cyclists don't follow the rules. Some motorists don't follow the rules. And in many, many places, it's completely legal to ride 2 or 3 abreast. Thus, the need for states to post signs reminding motorists that they are supposed to SHARE the road. Not just the shoulders. Not just the right 2 feet. THE ENTIRE ROAD. It's really not that difficult of a concept.

My two bits:

Don't really get all the discussion on the bikes. Article clearly stated it was witnessed that biker went against crossing light and was at fault. Not sure what there is to debate.

I agree that my gun should be a last resort. Avoid the conflict if at all possible. But I wasn't there so I can't say what this guy might have been able to do. I will also add that anyone who thinks a 'fist' fight is nothing to be concerned about might want to do some homework in that area. If properly trained a person can deal a fatal blow with minimal effort.
    I don't know if I could have avoided the need to draw my weapon in this case. None of us know until we are the guy sitting in that truck getting pounded.

IMHO I think he will get a clean shoot if he only talks to his lawyer.
    Gun Bunny likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

How many of you carry a non-lethal alternative. I carry Fox Labs pepper spray for such things. Nasty stuff!
    WHEC724 and oneshot like this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
    Most bicycle riders don't follow the law of the road.
    THIS^^^^^^ I see it here ALL the time. Stop signs, you name it, the bicyclists here do not follow the rules of the road. I will go as far as to say that NONE of the cyclists I see out and about follow the rules of the road. This doesn't mean that no one does--I just haven't seen any who do where I live.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    How many of you carry a non-lethal alternative. I carry Fox Labs pepper spray for such things. Nasty stuff!
    Yes. Kimber pepper Spray.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Were this to happen to me, I might have done the same. Can't say for sure. I will say that I drive with my window down pretty often, so if this guy managed to start raining blows on someone with a window down, it'd make it hard to roll it up. As for driving away, nothing says you can't move the vehicle 20 yards to get out of the way of traffic and batton the hatches against the assailant. That's not fleeing the scene.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    I have a small canister in the sunglasses holder in the overhead of my console for just such an occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I have a small canister in the sunglasses holder in the overhead of my console for just such an occasion.
    Is it safe to leave a pressurized can of pepper spray in your vehicle all day in the sun? I would hate having one explode in my car if it was parked out in the sun all day. The outside temps here get to around 115 now and then.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Is it safe to leave a pressurized can of pepper spray in your vehicle all day in the sun? I would hate having one explode in my car if it was parked out in the sun all day. The outside temps here get to around 115 now and then.

Michael
    Good question, Michael. Mine has been up there for two years (need to check expiration date). We don't get up to 115 here, but it's pretty toasty.

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    Idiotic, unsubstantiated, and immature post. I've nearly been hit twice. Interestingly, my worst case involved being run off the road by a huge SUV, while the driver shouted obscenities about how bikes have no business being on the streets. Interestingly, there was a biking "share the road" sign within a couple hundred yards. Even more interesting was his license plate - RT2BEAR.

We called the cops, who said that they've had a couple reports of the same guy.

That's not you, is it?
    Hmmmm it seems quite a few people here agree with my post. Do you find that odd? I sure don't. And notice I gave my opinion without calling you idiotic, nor immature. So maybe these words better describe you in this matter. Nicely done hypocrite.
    40Bob and bigdogtx like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links