UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck

This is a discussion on UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm new to this forum business and I know that on this forum that, for the most part, I'm going to be preaching to the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck

New Member Array LibertyAndJstic's Avatar
    I'm new to this forum business and I know that on this forum that, for the most part, I'm going to be preaching to the choir.

I've been reading some media accounts and I want to set some things straight for the record. The victim of the attack, Ed Myers, who was beaten by the degenerate homeless man, is an acquaintance of mine. He is 110% of a family man, a solid Christian, an EXTRA hard worker, and there is not one element of evil in him. He has not had one ounce of alcohol or been in any sort of fight in a decade. Some of you might have seen video of him after being released and might have came to some conclusions - yes he is a big guy and an ex-Marine. None of that helped him out in this tragic incident with the exception of his survival instinct to not give up.

To be clear, I have not had a chance to communicate with him or his family yet. If anything, I'm going to send him money.

Here are the "facts" of what happened as gleaned from his attorney, video, and common sense. He was hit by the homeless man on the bicycle. The damage is substantial according to photos and video. Myers stopped, put his hazard flashers on, and put his vehicle transmission in park. According to witnesses, the homeless man immediately approached Myers (still wearing a seat belt), opened the door, and started to punch him violently. Knowing Myers, and how much he loves his family, I know damn well that he tried to get out of the area. With some crazy eyed homeless degenerate beating his face in and him bent over into the passenger seat, there is no way that he could have shifted his transmission into gear to get out. At that point, realizing that he could not get away, he had no choice but to defend himself while locked into the driver seat.

I know for a fact that virtually ALL homeless carry a pile of Shivs, Knives, and sharp objects on their person. They live a tough life and are constantly getting robbed and attacked. This is pure factual information that cannot be argued. If some crazy homeless degenerate comes onto you what do you do? Yeah you try to push them away but what if I belt you down into a seat and then have him dominate you? You have no choice but to defend yourself in the quickest possible way.

I can't stand how some of the comments read, "oh he should have just driven away" or "he is a giant compared to some weak homeless guy", blah blah blah...
    Bad Bob, OD*, 383 and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Are you reading the same thread as me? Sorry if you can't stand some comments the people make based on the facts that are reported. No one is saying the gentleman is at fault for defending himself. People on this forum bring up alternatives in case somebody finds themselves in a similar situation.

Many of us advise to carry or learn other than lethal means to defend oneself also so you do not have to resort to a shooting.

As far as your facts...you list common sense...that is not a fact or a set of facts but an opinion on what someone would do from past experience. Common sense for me would have to anticipated the attack as I watched the dereanged person approach and be prepared to either move my vehicle and if I did not have time to use pepper spray if available.

Oh....welcome to the forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    How many of you carry a non-lethal alternative. I carry Fox Labs pepper spray for such things. Nasty stuff!
    How often, and how realistically do people train with their pepper spray?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How often, and how realistically do people train with their pepper spray?
    How often and how realistically do people train with their EDC?

I dunno...seatbelted in place, the door opened... Even if he had pepper spray, you ever discharge that stuff in a closed space? The driver would have effectively been spraying himself too. If it was ineffective against the attacker, it could have left himself completely out of option. Further, I've carried several types of canisters at times, and it's easy to spray in the wrong direction and/or be stuck fumbling with the safety. How many of us practice with our oc so we know the spray pattern? I don't it's place is for close-up, when you're trapped already getting your face punched in.

As for driving away? The victim (in this case, I'm calling the driver the victim) leaning over and away couldn't see over the dash. Putting the car in drive and when you can't see where you're going may well be suicide...especially at that intersection. Jump to the conclusions you want but the more fact I hear, the more I'm leaning towards believing that the driver acted quite reasonably.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyAndJstic View Post
    Here are the "facts" of what happened as gleaned from his attorney, video, and common sense. He was hit by the homeless man on the bicycle. The damage is substantial according to photos and video. Myers stopped, put his hazard flashers on, and put his vehicle transmission in park. According to witnesses, the homeless man immediately approached Myers (still wearing a seat belt), opened the door, and started to punch him violently. Knowing Myers, and how much he loves his family, I know damn well that he tried to get out of the area. With some crazy eyed homeless degenerate beating his face in and him bent over into the passenger seat, there is no way that he could have shifted his transmission into gear to get out. At that point, realizing that he could not get away, he had no choice but to defend himself while locked into the driver seat.
    Above you state that the homeless guy opened Myers' door but just so you're aware this article Action News uncovers exclusive details in road rage incident involving bicyclist, pick-up driver says otherwise (according to witnesses).

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyAndJstic View Post
    He is 110% of a family man, a solid Christian, an EXTRA hard worker, and there is not one element of evil in him. He has not had one ounce of alcohol or been in any sort of fight in a decade.
    Look, no one says it does not seem to be a clean shoot. And all of the other stuff about him being a 110% family man, solid Christian, etc... is for a jury if it were to go that far and although I'm not an attorney mentioning that "he has not had one ounce of alcohol or been in any sort of fight in a decade" is not something I would want to have out there. But that's just me.

According to the Attorney he was bent over being punched and was unable to get to the gear shift lever to drive away. This sounds like he would be bent over the center console. How was he able to get into the center console to get his gun and not be able to get to the gear shift lever?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

So you think you would have chosen to blindly drive into an 8 lane, 50mph superhighway?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

sgb
    Good shoot
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    Above you state that the homeless guy opened Myers' door but just so you're aware this article Action News uncovers exclusive details in road rage incident involving bicyclist, pick-up driver says otherwise (according to witnesses).

Look, no one says it does not seem to be a clean shoot. And all of the other stuff about him being a 110% family man, solid Christian, etc... is for a jury if it were to go that far and although I'm not an attorney mentioning that "he has not had one ounce of alcohol or been in any sort of fight in a decade" is not something I would want to have out there. But that's just me.
    You must be reading something not there. It sounds like a clear case of self defense.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    Idiotic, unsubstantiated, and immature post. I've nearly been hit twice. Interestingly, my worst case involved being run off the road by a huge SUV, while the driver shouted obscenities about how bikes have no business being on the streets. Interestingly, there was a biking "share the road" sign within a couple hundred yards. Even more interesting was his license plate - RT2BEAR.

We called the cops, who said that they've had a couple reports of the same guy.

That's not you, is it?
    If I called the police every time I saw someone on a bicycle do something illegal and or dangerous the county would have to hire three new deputies to handle the paperwork.
    skew12 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    You must be reading something not there. It sounds like a clear case of self defense.
    No, I'm refuting what the guy was saying as being the truth was not being corroborated by the fourth estate via interviews they seem to have conducted with witnesses. Point is that attempting to justify a shoot based on a friendship and disputed facts over the internet is not a away to help one's friend (a shoot which I believe was justified based on the limited information available at this time).

I dont have any experiance with concealed carry. Just applied and the process will take 6 months. I'll still give my opinion on this mater as I have some experince that is relavent.

One of my reasons for getting a CCW was because over the last 5 years I have witnessed the after math of many senseless acts like this as I work as an X-ray technologist in a Trauma ER. I have dealt with the worst of society and seen many homeless people. Most have mental issues and many are violent. There perspective on life can not be fathomed by us. Who knows how he even got that bike? He might have beat down a teenage kid that got in the way of his drunken stumble.

As carriers of CCW all we can do is try to have the best SA as possible. I don't see how I would have done much different in this case. As a motorist if you hit a cyclist you are inclined to stop. Issues over right away don't mater, even if the cyclist runs into your vehicle as was the case here you should out of courtesy try to assist them. The victim here had little time to see that he was dealing with somebody from the deapths of society.

The victim being strapped into his vehicle was unable to defend himself physically or extricate himself from the situation. Situations like this is one reason I'm trying to become profiecent with my CCW. I'm 36 y/o and the soul income provider for my family. It's to late for me to dedicate the time for training to become profiecent to physically defend myself.

I've seen many people with seriously injured from beat downs. The most dangerous people are not the highly trained but the ones with nothing to loose and a lose screw such as the assailant in this situation. What would have been even scarier is if this guy had his wife and kids in the car with him. If he was beat unconscious or to death would it have extended to others in the car? Kids strapped to car seats.

If you can't use a CCW in a situation like this when are you supposed to use it? I know I would have acted the same as the victim. At the same time I would expect to be pulled into the police station and have to post bail. Before I get my CCW I will find a good attorney versed in the issues and give him a retainer. If I find myself in a situation like this a want good representation from the start to hopefully head off a potentially costly criminal/civil case that could cost all my financial wealth. Still I would not hesitate to use deadly force if I fealt my life was threatened. My family would be better off loseing our home than me. I seriously doubt any jury would convict this guy if an over zealous DA decides to prosecute.

Forums and threads like this are great for SA but I can't believe how many people think the victim handled the situation wrong. Maybe things could have turned out better but I think the victim did well under the situation especially considering it all went down much quicker than in has taken me the type this post.

New Member Array LibertyAndJstic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    My information comes from his attorney. I would say that its safe to say that it is his position in the matter.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    How often and how realistically do people train with their EDC?
    It is bad form to answer a rhetorical or loaded question with another rhetorical or loaded question.
    suntzu likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links