UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck - Page 6

UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck

This is a discussion on UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by LibertyAndJstic My information comes from his attorney. I would say that its safe to say that it is his position in the ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyAndJstic View Post
    My information comes from his attorney. I would say that its safe to say that it is his position in the matter.
    If his attorney is okay with you taking the case to an internet forum where his character (Myers') is put out there then I'd say his attorney sucks. That is not to say in a week they won't say the shoot is justified but in the off chance they proceed with a prosecution having this out there is not good. Just my two cents.

I'm new to this forum business and I know that on this forum that, for the most part, I'm going to be preaching to the choir.

I've been reading some media accounts and I want to set some things straight for the record. The victim of the attack, Ed Myers, who was beaten by the degenerate homeless man, is an acquaintance of mine. He is 110% of a family man, a solid Christian, an EXTRA hard worker, and there is not one element of evil in him. He has not had one ounce of alcohol or been in any sort of fight in a decade. Some of you might have seen video of him after being released and might have came to some conclusions - yes he is a big guy and an ex-Marine. None of that helped him out in this tragic incident with the exception of his survival instinct to not give up.

To be clear, I have not had a chance to communicate with him or his family yet. If anything, I'm going to send him money.

Here are the "facts" of what happened as gleaned from his attorney, video, and common sense. He was hit by the homeless man on the bicycle. The damage is substantial according to photos and video. Myers stopped, put his hazard flashers on, and put his vehicle transmission in park. According to witnesses, the homeless man immediately approached Myers (still wearing a seat belt), opened the door, and started to punch him violently. Knowing Myers, and how much he loves his family, I know damn well that he tried to get out of the area. With some crazy eyed homeless degenerate beating his face in and him bent over into the passenger seat, there is no way that he could have shifted his transmission into gear to get out. At that point, realizing that he could not get away, he had no choice but to defend himself while locked into the driver seat.

I know for a fact that virtually ALL homeless carry a pile of Shivs, Knives, and sharp objects on their person. They live a tough life and are constantly getting robbed and attacked. This is pure factual information that cannot be argued. If some crazy homeless degenerate comes onto you what do you do? Yeah you try to push them away but what if I belt you down into a seat and then have him dominate you? You have no choice but to defend yourself in the quickest possible way.

I can't stand how some of the comments read, "oh he should have just driven away" or "he is a giant compared to some weak homeless guy", blah blah blah...
    Not gonna try to defend every post made on this forum. And as I already stated I think it will go down as a clean shoot.

But try to understand why the majority of us are here in this forum. First, we aren't here to hand out judgement calls. Second, it's derogatory to jump out and call everyone here the 'choir'.

For the most part, IMHO, we are here to learn from other experiences and input how to be a responsible and law abiding gun carrying citizen. Just because we carry a gun doesn't mean that we defend every instance where one is used.

No one can really know just how they will react in a given situation. But we all hope that we do so in accordance with the law and good conscience. You made the statement "You have no choice but to defend youself in the quickest way possible."

We as citizens are only allowed to use a gun to defend ourselves. But when you're sitting in a courtroom the Prosecutor is using every means at his/her disposal to prove you could have done something 'other' than resorting to using a gun. And they will present many, many other plausible 'others' to prove you used your gun when you didn't have to. If they present just one that you could have done, and it doesn't matter that you didn't think of it, you go down for manslaughter.

I hope I never have to use my gun to shoot another person. I read the threads in this forum so I can be as prepared as possible if I find myself in a situation like your friend. I feel that I would have done the same as your friend did. So what have I learned from reading the postings in this thread?

1) Train for better situational awareness.

2) Don't make assumptions based on altruistic tendencies.

3) Secure my vehicle if someone approaches. (ie...roll up window/lock doors).

4) Know the laws concerning what constitues leaving a scene.

5) Obtain and train with less lethal means of defense.

6) Speak only with my lawyer.

7) Train to draw and shoot from a restrained sitting position.

I also noticed you are new to this forum. Welcome aboard. I would hope that you stick around and contribute. If all of our opinions and views were the same we would never learn anything.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

My information comes from his attorney. I would say that its safe to say that it is his position in the matter.
    Do you know the attorney? Or is he making more statements in the news that we have not heard.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    In Colorado, cyclists are EVERYWHERE. I really can't stand it, myself. So many of them don't stay in the bike lanes or they ride two or three abreast, making it so that cars have to swerve into the other lane to avoid them. Not all cyclists are so annoying, but I've seen my fair share of those who believe that they own the road. They are the first to yell at someone in a car and say "share the road!", while they ride a couple feet into the road, slowing down traffic.
    let me guess, they all ride fixed sprocket bikes and are covered in tattoos...

mlr1m likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

as far as reaching inside a vehicle, i had a guy do it to me once. he grabbed my throat, i rolled his arm up in the window and damn near broke his elbow when i wrenched his arm backwards. luckily while my wife called 911, there happened to be a cop driving down the road. i would not have shot. but i am able bodied, 32, and very capable in hand to hand combat. it would not be a clean shoot for me with my background.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    as far as reaching inside a vehicle, i had a guy do it to me once. he grabbed my throat, i rolled his arm up in the window and damn near broke his elbow when i wrenched his arm backwards. luckily while my wife called 911, there happened to be a cop driving down the road. i would not have shot. but i am able bodied, 32, and very capable in hand to hand combat. it would not be a clean shoot for me with my background.
    What does that mean?

i have a martial arts background.

it means i have the ability to neutralize the situation without killing the person. while it may be a clean shoot as far as the law is concerned it would not be a clean shoot for me, in my mind.

i am not saying this wasn't a clean shoot for this guy, just putting myself in his place.

The lesson that has been taught in this matter is, you just can’t go around beating on someone and think nothing is going to happen to you. There are consequences for your actions, it may cost you your life.

If the door was open it makes it very difficult to do much, in order to re start the vehicle, either the brake or clutch pedal must be pressed, if manual transmission clutch must get near the floor before it will start.

I have been in both of these situations when I was a younger man and being in the car is not a good place to try to defend yourself. Not that it can’t be done, but the one outside has considerable advantage over the one trapped in the vehicle.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links