UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck

This is a discussion on UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bicyclist shot after colliding with pickup truck in Taylor; Later dies during surgery | News - Home Need to get a lot more details, but ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck

UGLY:Bicyclist-shot-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck

Bicyclist shot after colliding with pickup truck in Taylor; Later dies during surgery | News - Home

Need to get a lot more details, but it sounds like a clean shoot (assuming the guy had CPL). Sounds like he did.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds clean to me as well. Must have been a .45.
    OD* likes this.

VIP Member
    What a stupid way to die.

Most bicycle riders don't follow the law of the road.

As a very conscientious cyclist who rides with many other very conscientious cyclists I have to disagree. Cyclists generally, in my experience, break driving laws about the same as do regular drivers. Driving last night after work I lost count at how many people failed to stop completely at stop signs and who drove WELL above the legal speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
    Most bicycle riders don't follow the law of the road.
    ParaSig and atctimmy like this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    In Colorado, cyclists are EVERYWHERE. I really can't stand it, myself. So many of them don't stay in the bike lanes or they ride two or three abreast, making it so that cars have to swerve into the other lane to avoid them. Not all cyclists are so annoying, but I've seen my fair share of those who believe that they own the road. They are the first to yell at someone in a car and say "share the road!", while they ride a couple feet into the road, slowing down traffic.

IRTT: I hope the driver of the truck was physically smaller/weaker than the cyclist or that they thought they were in serious danger of life and limb, because I don't think the guy wailing on him is enough to use lethal force unless it was a brutal onslaught by a physically-superior person doing some real damage.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    From a witness:
    he just started pounding on this guy. He hit him ... maybe seven times or so, and then the driver shot him (snip) He is being held pending any charges
    I would like more details on this; was there sufficient justification for the use of lethal force. Sounds like there may be some question.

they are holding the shooter just to be sure he be let go because he was not the aggressor and didn't even get out to the truck... so it's clean, passed the smell test

VIP Member
    For the novice reading this thread, driving away is a far better option if possible.

^^^^This!^^^^
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    As a very conscientious cyclist who rides with many other very conscientious cyclists I have to disagree. Cyclists generally, in my experience, break driving laws about the same as do regular drivers.
    Doesn't seem to hold true to bicyclists in Portland, Oregon though. They are bad. Constantly blowing through intersections without stopping for the light, riding where they shouldn't be riding (i.e. downtown sidewalks instead of in the street).
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

From a witness:
    he just started pounding on this guy. He hit him ... maybe seven times or so, and then the driver shot him (snip) He is being held pending any charges
    I would like
    more details on this; was there sufficient justification for the use of lethal force. Sounds like there may be some question.
    How much beating would he have to absorb before being sufficiently justified in using lethal force? I think I would have concluded this thing long before our Cyclist made it to punch #7.

WHEC742 hit this one center-mass......

If at all possiable, drive away a safe distance and call police then. If not....well, one in the chest will definatly squash the attackers sense of stupid.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Driving away makes one guilty of leaving the scene of an accident. Reaching inside a vehicle to put hands on someone is a particularly bad plan in Castle Doctrine states.
    wmhawth, oneshot, darbo and 4 others like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Once again an example of the pitfalls of using your own weapon in self-defense. Our law in SC says deadly force can be used if a reasonable person would've felt threatened to the point that their life was in danger. So the problem is, the cops don't have a video of what went down, only the shooters word, so no matter how "guiltless" he may be, his lawyer can probably expect a nice payday and worst case, we got a Zimmerman deal. I certainly don't see that in this case, just saying. That's the risk you take if you ever pull the trigger on an attacker. For me, I won't be shooting unless my life is actually in danger so I don't end up buying my mouthpiece a new vacation home. I'll use the gun as a deterrent to be sure. I have no idea how this guy got "punched repeatedly" before drawing his weapon. It actually sounds a little fishy you ask me. Hope he has strong witnesses.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links