Good: Armed citizen stops stabbing outside school

This is a discussion on Good: Armed citizen stops stabbing outside school within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Boy, that temporary restraining order sure kept her safe, didn't it?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Good: Armed citizen stops stabbing outside school

Boy, that temporary restraining order sure kept her safe, didn't it?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Isn't there a Federal law out there that covers firearms within a 1000 foot limit of schools?

Michael
    Reference for it:
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5310-1.pdf

specific exemption for those who are licensed by the state (and the license must require that the person's background be checked before issuance). The law as listed there (it gives a general layman's terms first and then the actual law quoted) as quoted shows 7 items and each stand on their own as written.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Isn't there a Federal law out there that covers firearms within a 1000 foot limit of schools?

Michael
    There is a state law that says you can carry on school property BUT not in the buildings. IF you have CHL you can carry the grounds. Physical premises is the building or structures but not on the grounds when a scholastic event is being held

PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution

PC §46.11. PENALTY IF OFFENSE COMMITTED WITHIN WEAPON-FREE SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), the punishment prescribed for an offense under this chapter is increased to the punishment prescribed for the next highest category of offense if it is shown beyond a reasonable doubt on the trial of the offense that the actor committed the offense in a place that the actor knew was:
    (1) within 300 feet of the premises of a school; or
    (2) on premises where:
    (A) an official school function is taking place; or
    (B) an event sponsored or sanctioned by the University Interscholastic League is taking place
    (b) This section does not apply to an offense under Section 46.03(a)(1).
    (c) In this section, “institution of higher education,” “premises,” and “school” have the meanings assigned by Section 481.134, Health and Safety Code.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Interesting about the interstate commerce. I notice it doesn't cover a gun that is manufactured and sold in the same state and has never traveled out of the state for reasons of commerce. Typical!

It was the sight of the handgun that prompted the bad guy to drop his knife and cease his deadly attack. What further justification would you need to draw your weapon.

Michael
    I feel that this use of the weapon can lead to a bad place, where you are drawing your weapon, not intending to use it.

I guess that is my questions, after he stops his attack and puts down his knife, you say "lay down on the ground!", and he says "screw you" turns and walks away, what is your response?
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    I feel that this use of the weapon can lead to a bad place, where you are drawing your weapon, not intending to use it.

I guess that is my questions, after he stops his attack and puts down his knife, you say "lay down on the ground!", and he says "screw you" turns and walks away, what is your response?
    I let him walk. I have stopped the threat and now I become a good witness.

EDIT: My actions assume that he is not attempting to harm others.

Michael
    barstoolguru likes this.

I let him walk. I have stopped the threat and now I become a good witness.

EDIT: My actions assume that he is not attempting to harm others.

Michael
    In the state of Texas you can't shoot a fleeing felon UNLESS they are fleeing with property. Once the threat is stopped you can't shoot unless you are in fear for your life or life of others. Once he drops the knife the threat is over BUT you can make a citizen’s arrest in which case you can deadly force if necessary to detain the subject. I believe the CHL holder made a citizen’s arrest when he stopped the threat because he was there and witnessed the attack
    How To Make a Citizen’s Arrest | The Art of Manliness

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I'm sorry, but in this situation, I was not in mortal danger. My gun would remain concealed and I would be a good witness after the LEO's arrived. If the threat was directed at me, all bets are off.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I'm sorry, but in this situation, I was not in mortal danger. My gun would remain concealed and I would be a good witness after the LEO's arrived. If the threat was directed at me, all bets are off.
    And that is your choice and, if you can live with that, then that's great. Some people will step up to help others without regard to themselves. Others won't. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it is what it is. Not everyone has the same thought process or concerns.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

This is one of those situations I hope to never find myself challenged with as it can go sideways really fast. But I guess I'm just one of those type of guys that can't stand there and watch it happen. Even if I didn't have my gun on me I would step in to help that woman. Stupid I know...but I could never live with just watching that and choosing to do nothing to save her life.

And if the BG decides to leave the scene? I am prepared to shoot him, but if he withdraws then he is no longer a threat and I have no justification to shoot him. Holster my gun and render aid to the victim.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Held on a $450.000 bond and he has already bonded out of jail. The guy should have shot him so he could feel the pain she does (still in the hospital)

Armed bystander stops stabbing outside school|WOAI: San Antonio News

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    ... and the victim would have likely died before your eyes.

No.. I believe in that situation I would have drawn and fired on the assailant... no warning, no hesitation. Anyone who is obviously murdering an unarmed victim is a hot target in my book.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Michael
    You can carry on school grounds, or even buildings , if you have a State license to carry that includes a background check, and it is "legal" in the State in which the school is located and that you live. That is the "exception" in the Federal law.
    http://trac.syr.edu/laws/18/18USC00922.html

Here, you can carry on school grounds/property and it cannot be prohibited. You can carry in any school "building" if it's not posted with the approved AG signage. The schools where I live, are not posted with the AG 's approved signs.

So, it depends upon Texas laws in this incident.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Was surprised this hadn't hit DC yet.
    I'm surprised you didn't scroll down the page a bit more. It's discussed here.

GOOD: Texas CHL holder saves stabbing victim's life

I'm also surprised at how many of you armed citizens here would let a woman be stabbed to death infront of your very eyes and do nothing about it other than be "a good witness". Apparently, you ******* don't have sisters, mothers, or wives. Say what you will about the legal ramifications, but if I see a guy stabbing a woman in the neck, I'm gonna kick his #$^&ing ass.
    SA MC Operator
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    G26
    Sig P238

I've have had a hard time just standing by and not getting involved. Especially if the Bad Guy was still stabbing the woman in front of other kids.

My wife is a Teacher and I've gotten into some really heated arguments at school parties with her piers over the subject of having a concealed handgun on me when I'm in the parking lot. Some just cannot be convinced even when I show them the law in black and white. Something about "I'm the TEACHER, and I know everything better than you!"

Good for this guy for doing what is right and not getting hot by the LEO's in the process.
    I would have to be on the phone talking to the dispatcher and making sure the responding offivers knew the Guy holding the gun was the Good Guy and the bad guy was on the ground already.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links