Good: Armed citizen stops stabbing outside school

This is a discussion on Good: Armed citizen stops stabbing outside school within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Was surprised this hadn't hit DC yet. Woman and boyfriend/husband get in argument outside school. Man starts stabbing woman. Bystander with CCL draws and holds ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Good: Armed citizen stops stabbing outside school

Good: Armed citizen stops stabbing outside school

Was surprised this hadn't hit DC yet.

Woman and boyfriend/husband get in argument outside school. Man starts stabbing woman. Bystander with CCL draws and holds him for LEOs. No shots fired.

Armed bystander stops stabbing outside school|WOAI: San Antonio News

Good on the citizen.

Good thing for him that in TX, "school premises" restriction doesn't extend outside the building.
    ArmyMan likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good story to read.

I'm glad it worked out, but I generally cringe a bit when I read those. A risk exists in that tense moment when LEO rolls up, and perhaps due to misinformation, or whatever, shoots the GG with the gun. An innocent mistake can happen, but dead is dead.

The GG has to keep his wits and do the right thing at the right time.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Good story to read.

I'm glad it worked out, but I generally cringe a bit when I read those. A risk exists in that tense moment when LEO rolls up, and perhaps due to misinformation, or whatever, shoots the GG with the gun. An innocent mistake can happen, but dead is dead.

The GG has to keep his wits and do the right thing at the right time.
    That can be easily defused -- if you're holding the gun when LEO shows up, put up your hands.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I've always thought that ordering the BG to lie on the ground and having him cross his legs and interlock his fingers behind his head would both ID me as the GG and save a few steps for the LEO. Any thoughts on that from a LEO?
    Last edited by tricolordad; August 30th, 2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Stupid ipad

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    That can be easily defused -- if you're holding the gun when LEO shows up, put up your hands.
    Suit yourself but I wouldn't care to be holding a gun, and start moving it (even upwards) when the police show up.

Each interaction with the first responding police will likely be different. Different agencies, different officers protocol, different settings and situations. First and foremost do exactly everything the nice officer is instructing you to do, and do it promptly.
    accessbob and RichB70 like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Did the person who prevented the stabbing open himself up to possible Federal gun charges by taking the actions he did?

Michael

Not sure this meets my justification to use my weapon. Generally if you see my weapon, I am going to shoot. HAd the knife guy had put the knife away and turned to walk away, what then? Shoot him in the back?
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Did the person who prevented the stabbing open himself up to possible Federal gun charges by taking the actions he did?

Michael
    NO, in the state of Texas you can carry on school grounds BUT not in the building IF you have a CHL

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Not sure this meets my justification to use my weapon. Generally if you see my weapon, I am going to shoot. HAd the knife guy had put the knife away and turned to walk away, what then? Shoot him in the back?
    It was the sight of the handgun that prompted the bad guy to drop his knife and cease his deadly attack. What further justification would you need to draw your weapon.

Michael
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I've always thought that ordering the BG to lie on the ground and having him cross his legs and interlock his fingers behind his head would both ID me as the GG and save a few steps for the LEO. Any thoughts on that from a LEO?
    Good call on the keep the bad guy on the ground fingers crossed, legs crossed. Cop shows up you should create a safe distance from the BG 5-10 yards. Put the gun down on the ground, hands up but be aware of the BG the whole time. When the LEO approaches identify yourself as the caller (911) and point at the bad guy and identify him. Or you can call out "he stabbed her" identifying the BG and victim.

Tunnel Vision and Tunnel Hearing gets the best of us. When I show up on a serious assault, stabbing or shooting I prone everybody out to determine who is the BG who is the GG who is the Victim etc. So even if you are the GG expect to spend a minute or more on the ground or in cuffs before the cops sort it all out.

But be glad you were there to stop the BG and remember you are more valuable as a witness than as cold forensic evidence.
    JoJoGunn, bigmacque and bootslxa like this.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Why would you do that, encounter is over.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    NO, in the state of Texas you can carry on school grounds BUT not in the building IF you have a CHL
    Isn't there a Federal law out there that covers firearms within a 1000 foot limit of schools?

Michael

Isn't there a Federal law out there that covers firearms within a 1000 foot limit of schools?

Michael
    In WI, you can be within 1000ft, but you cannot be on school grounds or in the school itsself. There are two vague exceptions that I will not pretend to understand.

Taking WI law into mind, would it be a Class I felony (without CCW, it's a Class I felony to possess within 1000ft of a GFSZ) to intervene with your firearm in this same situation ON the school grounds if you felt it was needed to save somebody from grave bodily harm or death? Is the sidewalk running past the school on the school side of the street considered school property?

Michael
    Amen to that!

I must say that becoming involved in a domestic dispute is a very tricky situation. Good story here but be aware if your ever the witness that both the victim and their signifigant other can turn on you.

I was out with two "freinds" one night. They started arguing. I wouldnt side with her so they both came at me together. Ive seen this while working as well. Its actualy pretty common.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links