The Empire State shooting: I can't believe I agree with Bloomberg - Page 2

The Empire State shooting: I can't believe I agree with Bloomberg

This is a discussion on The Empire State shooting: I can't believe I agree with Bloomberg within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bullet1234 BLOOMINGIDIOT I like that, can we make that his official DC name???...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Empire State shooting: I can't believe I agree with Bloomberg

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    BLOOMINGIDIOT
    I like that, can we make that his official DC name???
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by CIBMike View Post
    A better question would be,why in the world were those people hanging around in the general vicinity where 5 shots have been fired in a murder before the police even arrived.Anyone that wasn't in the fight that had half a brain would have left the area or at least gone to cover.
    You realize all those people didn't know there had just been a shooting, right? It happened inside and the guy was attempting to get away when the police caught up to him. It wasn't like everyone saw it and stayed around watching from the sidewalk.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Yea...I guess the cops should have let the guy continue walking down the street waving the gun around.
    By the way, 6 of the 9 were hit with fragments.
    Shooting at an armed moving target on a busy sidewalk while you are also moving isn't like shooting at pie plates. I'm fairly certain these 2 cops were pumped on adrenaline, had tunnel vision, etc.etc. I'm giving them a pass on this one.....
    I wonder if one of the nine innocents was you wife or kids you would feel the same way?

The point is one of these innocents could have died because of the ineptitude of the officers & the panic that ensued because of it. These officers weren't pump on adrenalin. The were stricken with FEAR and panicked; praying & spraying!

I don't know how it is in NYC. But, where I live now & back in the day when I patrolled the streets, an LEO was expected to have the courage to face death & the willingness to die to order fulfill his duty. These officers didn't "protect & serve" they made things worse!

-

How many times have we discussed potential shooting scenarios? I'd lose count probably.

NO shooting scenario is perfect, there are some, granted, better than others, but with the myriad amount of possibilities I'm surprised that people only were wounded in the collateral damage. Any one of us put into a shooting situation will have to make nano second decisions and perhaps at that time, it was the best they could do under the circumstances.

Police are humans just like we are. They are subject to, no matter how much training they recieve, to fail in some areas. That doesn't make them any worse than other ordinary citizens. They give it their best but sometimes they fall short of the mark.

Sometimes that results in death or injury of not only innocent bystanders, but the cops themselves.

Look at my recent threads of the West Virginia State Troopers killed in the line of duty to be reminded of how badly things can go in even the routine episodes.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I wonder if one of the nine innocents was you wife or kids you would feel the same way?

The point is one of these innocents could have died because of the ineptitude of the officers & the panic that ensued because of it. These officers weren't pump on adrenalin. The were stricken with FEAR and panicked; praying & spraying!

I don't know how it is in NYC. But, where I live now & back in the day when I patrolled the streets, an LEO was expected to have the courage to face death & the willingness to die to order fulfill his duty. These officers didn't "protect & serve" they made things worse!

-
    I'm sure they were fearful, anybody that claims they wouldn't be is either a complete fool or a liar.
    Insinuating that the officers were cowardly is a bit of a stretch. They didn't run and hide behind parked cars, they engaged and killed the shooter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Yea...I guess the cops should have let the guy continue walking down the street waving the gun around.
    By the way, 6 of the 9 were hit with fragments.
    Shooting at an armed moving target on a busy sidewalk while you are also moving isn't like shooting at pie plates. I'm fairly certain these 2 cops were pumped on adrenaline, had tunnel vision, etc.etc. I'm giving them a pass on this one.....
    His gun was in a bag. The BG was hit 10 times out of 16 shots, that's 6 misses or 38% from 8 ft. While three had complete bullet holes, the other 6 were grazed - some of those may have been with concrete fragments. The LEO on the right never bothered to get a decent grip on his handgun. If one of us hit even one person in the same scenario, we'd be charged; they hit 9. I wouldn't give the guy shooting with one hand a pass.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I'm sure they were fearful, anybody that claims they wouldn't be is either a complete fool or a liar.
    Insinuating that the officers were cowardly is a bit of a stretch. They didn't run and hide behind parked cars, they engaged and killed the shooter.

Where did I say they were cowardly?

I said they panicked. There is a huge difference! (If they were cowards they would have ran away & not engaged.)

They did engage; but, they panicked & almost killed 9 innocent people. I think one of the officers may have done ok. But, the other may need to rethink his career. Being a afraid is OK. Going into "panic" mode is NOT!

-

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    His gun was in a bag. The BG was hit 10 times out of 16 shots, that's 6 misses or 38% from 8 ft. While three had complete bullet holes, the other 6 were grazed - some of those may have been with concrete fragments. The LEO on the right never bothered to get a decent grip on his handgun. If one of us hit even one person in the same scenario, we'd be charged; they hit 9. I wouldn't give the guy shooting with one hand a pass.
    I went back and looked at the video again and it looks like he drew his weapon and fired at the officers. A couple of other reports also claim he shot at the the officers as they approached him. Remember, these guys are street cops not seal team 6.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Don't expect them to be and not saying I expect them to not defend themselves, but this guy was not walking down the street waving a gun around. However, I do expect them to take reasonable measures to ensure public safety, especially when their backstop is a crowd of people. Failing to utilize a proper grip on a firearm does not amount to taking reasonable measures.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Don't expect them to be and not saying I expect them to not defend themselves, but this guy was not walking down the street waving a gun around. However, I do expect them to take reasonable measures to ensure public safety, especially when their backstop is a crowd of people. Failing to utilize a proper grip on a firearm does not amount to taking reasonable measures.
    Ageed.... Maybe urban police departments need additional training or new tactics on how to take down a shooter on a crowded street. I don't have an answer, but having experienced a nut case putting a loaded gun in my face, I know what it feels like to think it's game over.

tcox4freedom likes this.
    Ronald Reagan

Nor would I give him one.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    You realize all those people didn't know there had just been a shooting, right? It happened inside and the guy was attempting to get away when the police caught up to him. It wasn't like everyone saw it and stayed around watching from the sidewalk.
    Nope ddin't know that, none of the short internet stories i read mentioned that ,they were too busy talking about how NYC police shot bystanders.
    The easy way is always mined.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links