good-Congress Passes Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests

This is a discussion on good-Congress Passes Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Congress Passes Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests, Delivers Blow To Westboro Baptist Church According to "The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: good-Congress Passes Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests

Congress Passes Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests, Delivers Blow To Westboro Baptist Church

According to "The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012," which is now headed to President Barack Obama's desk, demonstrators will no longer be allowed to picket military funerals two hours before or after a service. The bill also requires protestors to be at least 300 feet away from grieving family members.
    Even though this is a month old I didn't see a post in a search but I thought it was of some interest

Congress Passes Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests, Delivers Blow To Westboro Baptist Church
    ArmyMan and msgt/ret like this.

I'm Disappointed our Congress took this long to do 'something'........ but at least they finally did it. 300' isn't enough space IMO but it'll help those counter protesters for sure!
    The Patriot Riders are still needed though....... God Bless those people for being there still!
    gottabkiddin and msgt/ret like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Nothing good about this. The first amendment must be as fiercely protected as the second. I detest the Westboro clowns as much as anyone, but free speech for all means free speech for them as well. This legislation is blatantly unconstitutional and will give Phelps another court victory and publicity. The best way to deal with them is to ignore them. They feed on attention.

OD*
    I despise those jerks that do this sort of thing, but the First doesn't protect just the speech we want to hear.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    I'm Disappointed our Congress took this long to do 'something'........ but at least they finally did it. 300' isn't enough space IMO but it'll help those counter protesters for sure!The Patriot Riders are still needed though....... God Bless those people for being there still!
    ++ Amen to this...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I despise those jerks that do this sort of thing, but the First doesn't protect just the speech we want to hear.
    This. What's the old saying? "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it"?

But understand I loathe those Westboro morons and probably wouldn't waste my spit if one were on fire...
    torgo1968, OD*, Herknav and 1 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    There is a limit to free speech. You can't walk into a movie theater and yell "FIRE" just as you stand there and threaten to kill someone. Free speech has its limits and when free speech "breaches the peace" then there must be rule to govern it. The first amendment was not written to destroy good will but to be able to talk against tyranny and to be heard. These people are going out of their way to rub salt in an open wound and using the first amendment to do it. majority rules is the basic for a democracy and the majority thinks that there should be limits on this type of protest for everyone’s safety
    sigmanluke, msgt/ret and Ionracas like this.

While I am with you guys on the Westboro folks being piles of human garbage....this is how rights get eroded.

Congress slowly chipping away at something in the name of popular opinion. We now have less free speech in this country than we used to...some of you might feel like this is a good thing but I would caution you against feeling that way.

At first they came after funeral protesters...I wasn't one so I said nothing...then they came for......

I think you get the point.
    Herknav and pfries like this.

An anti-wacko law that was looooooong overdue.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

But wait, can't we all agree that there should be "reasonable, common-sense speech-control laws"?
    torgo1968, OD*, Herknav and 2 others like this.

Personally, if I were attending a military funeral and a radical fringe group was disrespecting the family / friends of a veteran. I would probably be the one going to visit BUBBA after all was said and done. There's no reason to disrupt or disrespect a funeral period, much less people who are grieving.

Those people need something better to do like, "take time off to heal".
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

NMB
    You have to protect the rights of citizens who you absolutely despise.

I dont think this is a good thing. There are ways to drown out these losers besides passing more laws.
    torgo1968, OD*, Herknav and 1 others like this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

How long will it be before politicians add themselves to the list of things that cannot be protested until two hours after their term is over. Or the local KKK group demands equal protection.

Michael
    torgo1968, OD* and pfries like this.

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    Nothing good about this. The first amendment must be as fiercely protected as the second. I detest the Westboro clowns as much as anyone, but free speech for all means free speech for them as well. This legislation is blatantly unconstitutional and will give Phelps another court victory and publicity. The best way to deal with them is to ignore them. They feed on attention.
    Exactly, I don't like that they do this but I don't like the government taking away their 1st amendment rights. Some have to show restraint because it's your right doesn't mean you should. It's like Open carry, just because its legal to OC doesn't mean you should OC an AR-15

Yes you can yell fire in a theater, as was the example by the Supreme Court, however you deal with the consequences. This is bad IMO. Limiting the amendments will lead to more limits. Look at the 2a!!!
    Gunnutty, Herknav and pfries like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links