22LR Can Be Lethal

This is a discussion on 22LR Can Be Lethal within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Verona man, 92, shoots robber at home | NKY.com | cincinnati.com First, good for the old guy to nail one of the dirt-bags, but my ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: 22LR Can Be Lethal

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

22LR Can Be Lethal

Verona man, 92, shoots robber at home | NKY.com | cincinnati.com

First, good for the old guy to nail one of the dirt-bags, but my interest is more about the 22 rifle. While I would not carry one for self defense, it can obviously do the job. My wife was a trauma nurse in the 80's and saw a lot of 22 wounds, they are really messy because the bullet fragments so badly.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

22LR as a defensive round has seen plenty of air time (or screen time) here. What's an argument and what's effective? Ask some and 9mm isn't good enough. Go figure.

My gun is my brain rah rah rah i just got blasted, though not directly towards me (go figure) for my choice of pocket rocket which is a .22lr pistol. I know the weapons capabilities very well. .22lr has and will continue to be the most often picked weapon and gets a bad rap from the same people who praise the FN 5-7, which is basically a 22. They are deadly, period.
    mr.stuart and RichB70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    My gun is my brain rah rah rah i just got blasted, though not directly towards me (go figure) for my choice of pocket rocket which is a .22lr pistol. I know the weapons capabilities very well. .22lr has and will continue to be the most often picked weapon and gets a bad rap from the same people who praise the FN 5-7, which is basically a 22. They are deadly, period.
    Nobody was dogging your choice of caliber...I didn't realize it was a 22 you were talking about. Throwing away good money on training ammo when you already know what kind of carry ammo your gun likes to eat to me seems like a waste of money. you can get more training rounds in with the same amount of money and still have confidnece in your more expensive carry ammo.
    atctimmy likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Any bullet can be deadly.
    That doesnt make it the best choice for defense though.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

So can a rock,A 22 or 25 is better than nothing,It all comes down to shot placement and the mindset of your adversary
    tricolordad likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Shot placement is key. Caliber is irrelivant unless youre talking about shooting outside the maximum effective range of a smaller caliber..Id rather be shot in the arm with .460 rowland than hit in the intestines with .17hmr.

Oh lord, hear we go again.... Poor choice of caliber, there's better Yadda Yadda Yadda.... I'll just say, good for the home owner. I'm glad he came out on the winning side of this one.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Shot placement is key. Caliber is irrelivant unless youre talking about shooting outside the maximum effective range of a smaller caliber..Id rather be shot in the arm with .460 rowland than hit in the intestines with .17hmr.
    A shot in the intestines by many calibers may not stop the threat. What is your point? Carry a .22 if you want. Not going to get into what ifs here. Just it is the consensus that a .22 it is not the best SD round. Carry what you can afford and comftorable with. But when folks try to say or allude to that a 22 is as good as a larger round I just have to bow out of the conversation and disagree.
    sparkykb likes this.

I could couldn't care less about the caliber the old guy used.
    He was ready to defend his castle and did so successfully.

With one of three dirtbags dead, the other two should be tried for his murder during the commission of a burglary.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    A shot in the intestines by many calibers may not stop the threat. What is your point? Carry a .22 if you want. Not going to get into what ifs here. Just it is the consensus that a .22 it is not the best SD round. Carry what you can afford and comftorable with. But when folks try to say or allude to that a 22 is as good as a larger round I just have to bow out of the conversation and disagree.
    And I will agree with you.

The old man in the story used a rifle not a pistol.No one ever said the .22 could not be lethal. As for the 5.7 and 5.56 yes technically they are a .22, but with a hell of a lot more powder behind them.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

92 year old Air Force veteran shoots burgler

Boone County homeowner shoots, kills intruder | Northern Kentucky - WLWT Home

VERONA, Ky. - —

One man is dead and two more are behind bars after an attempted home invasion Monday morning. Police said a man broke into the basement of a Boone County home in the 15000 block of Violet Road in Verona just after 2 a.m.

Donnie Inabnit
    Donnie Inabnit

Donnie Inabnit, 20, of Dry Ridge, Kentucky, is charged with Burglary 2nd degree (complicity) and Tampering with physical evidence. More info here.
    View Large

Ryan Dalton
    Ryan Dalton

Ryan Dalton, 22, of Dry Ridge, Kentucky, is charged with Burglary 2nd degree (complicity) and Tampering with physical evidence. More info here.
    View Large

The homeowner, Earl Jones, 92, was awakened and grabbed his .22 caliber rifle. Thieves targeted Jones’ farm at least three times recently, stealing guns, money, even cattle. This time, Jones woke up when he heard intruders in the cellar.
    When the intruder came through the door from the basement, Jones fired a single shot, police said.
    Jones immediately called his neighbor, who then called 911. When deputies arrived, they said they found the outside basement door ajar but no one other than Jones at the home.

Police say the wounded intruder was carried off by two other accomplices. They say those accomplices, Ryan Dalton and Donnie Inabnit, put him in their car and took off. They got about a mile when they stopped on Courtney Road to call 911.
    When Kenton County Police responded to the call they found a deceased male, along with Dalton and Inabnit in a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. The deceased male has been identified as Lloyd (Adam) Maxwell, 24, of Richmond, Kentucky.
    Dalton and Inabnit were taken to the Boone County Sheriff's Office for questioning. Police said they admitted they were involved in the burglary on Violet Road.

Ryan Dalton, 22 and Donnie Inabnit, 20, both of Dry Ridge, Kentucky, are charged with Burglary 2nd degree (complicity) and Tampering with physical evidence.

Jones is a 92-year-old Air Force veteran who worked on planes, including the Enola Gay that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. He will not be charged.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member
    Good for him. Took care of business and will live to see tomorrow.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Bravo Earl Jones.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Already running here:
    22LR Can Be Lethal

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links