Bad: Shooting in Doddridge Co WV

This is a discussion on Bad: Shooting in Doddridge Co WV within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Teenager shot and killed his parents and sister. No motive or anything yet. Why are we seeing so many shootings as of late? Makes me ...

Thread: Bad: Shooting in Doddridge Co WV

Bad: Shooting in Doddridge Co WV

Teenager shot and killed his parents and sister. No motive or anything yet.

Why are we seeing so many shootings as of late? Makes me wonder if people are just going nuts all of a sudden.

Teacher among three killed in Doddridge County shooting* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Why are we seeing so many shootings as of late? Makes me wonder if people are just going nuts all of a sudden.
    You phrased the question correctly. There really aren't any more shootings than usual, but since the Aurora episode if there's more than one person shot, the news media hypes it up as a "mass shooting." Seems to be common after any Stockton, Columbine, or VaTech type incident.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Are there more shooting lately or is it the way we hear of them getting faster and more advanced; bad newd sells papers!

^exactly^. the bad is reported ten times more than the good

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Very similar thing happened here in Albemarle County a few nights ago. A 19 year old man shot and killed his mother, his sister, his brother and himself. The gun (a .22LR rifle) was bought that same day. I know the gunshop where the gun was bought and the guy who sold it to him. I can say absolutely that if the gunshop seller had any idea this would happen the 19 year old would have walked out empty handed. Further investigation indicates that the 19 year old may have been involved in some sort of statanic organization.

Why so many? It's 2012. The Aurora mess is in people's minds. The economy's down. "If it bleeds, it leads" media mentality. Recent reprinting of Led Zeppelin wax ("Freddie is dead" types, if spun backwards). It's also an election year (media, voting). And, greater publicity can help put it into the mind of someone who's vacillating and on the edge. Who's to say. For a given perp, take your pick of influencing factors. Everyone's different.

There are some, sure. But the USA has a population of 311M+, so there's going to be some. For many years, now, the overall number has continued to fall, as has the rate.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links