good-Man fires shot at robbers in his southeast Wichita home

This is a discussion on good-Man fires shot at robbers in his southeast Wichita home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They told him they wouldn’t hurt him if he just stayed out of their way, Nolte said. They wanted to know where he kept his ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mnmbrewing

Thread: good-Man fires shot at robbers in his southeast Wichita home

They told him they wouldn’t hurt him if he just stayed out of their way, Nolte said. They wanted to know where he kept his pain medications, and helped themselves to cash, a 42-inch Samsung flat-screen television and other small electronics.

The resident had returned to his chair, and when the robbers were distracted, he fired a shot at them. One of the robbers yelled that he had been hit, Nolte said, and they fled the house.
    too bad he didn't kill any of them. Those are some corn fed boys because the all were over 240 lbs. Or the old man had the wrong glasses on

Man fires shot at robbers in his southeast Wichita home | Wichita Eagle

If one of the BG's was hit it will just be a matter of time before they find him. Eventually he will turn up either dead from the infection of the GSW or on his way. Talk about your cowards. Thought they had an easy mark. Think again boys. Wonder how they knew the old guy? The had information on his condition but their Intel was not complete.
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    Corn fed?

Sounds like these bums got thrown out of the local gym for using steroids, and now they have some free time to go on looting forays in which to bolster their drug habits.
    Glad he sent them packing, hope they don't return for some payback.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

To me, sounds like the man is going to have some issues. There are two laws .... one works in his favor, if someone breaks into your home while it's occupied it is "assumed" they mean you seriously injury and you can defend yourself accordingly. However, the other is.... you can't shoot someone you are not in fear of serious injury or deadly force from..... nor to protect property.

So, which is it ? If they did not harm him, and were just stealing things when he shot them.... this may fall into that 'gray area'. The present DA would probably go after him .... as she's on an anti-gun campaign.... however, she's retiring and won't be the DA after the elections are over and the new one takes office in Jan. That DA is more pro-2A, and may lean the other way.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    To me, sounds like the man is going to have some issues. There are two laws .... one works in his favor, if someone breaks into your home while it's occupied it is "assumed" they mean you seriously injury and you can defend yourself accordingly. However, the other is.... you can't shoot someone you are not in fear of serious injury or deadly force from..... nor to protect property.

So, which is it ? If they did not harm him, and were just stealing things when he shot them.... this may fall into that 'gray area'. The present DA would probably go after him .... as she's on an anti-gun campaign.... however, she's retiring and won't be the DA after the elections are over and the new one takes office in Jan. That DA is more pro-2A, and may lean the other way.
    I think the information in the article is woefully inadequate for determining good shoot/bad shoot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

They were in his house - he was concerned for his safety. Good shoot, unfortunately none were DRT.

This would be based upon the hope that the criminals were telling the truth when they said they wouldn't hurt him.....

The resident had returned to his chair, and when the robbers were distracted, he fired a shot at them. One of the robbers yelled that he had been hit, Nolte said, and they fled the house.

The resident feared for his safety, Nolte said.

Read more here: Man fires shot at robbers in his southeast Wichita home | Wichita Eagle

To me, sounds like the man is going to have some issues. There are two laws .... one works in his favor, if someone breaks into your home while it's occupied it is "assumed" they mean you seriously injury and you can defend yourself accordingly. However, the other is.... you can't shoot someone you are not in fear of serious injury or deadly force from..... nor to protect property. So, which is it ? If they did not harm him, and were just stealing things when he shot them.... this may fall into that 'gray area'. The present DA would probably go after him .... as she's on an anti-gun campaign.... however, she's retiring and won't be the DA after the elections are over and the new one takes office in Jan. That DA is more pro-2A, and may lean the other way.
    He uses a walker to get around, needs oxygen from a tank to help him breathe, and sleeps in a recliner in the living room of his southeast Wichita home.
    You think there is a jury that would convict him?

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    You think there is a jury that would convict him?
    Around here, yes .... possible. It would depend upon a lot of things..... that aren't known from the article.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The guy wanted the mans pain medicine, so homeowner gave him a reason to get his own meds. Nothing to see here.

They were comitting an armed feloney while trespassing. Lethal foce is typicaly justified in these situations.

No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    They were comitting an armed feloney while trespassing. Lethal foce is typicaly justified in these situations.
    How do we know that the perps were armed? Based on the OP's link, this is a fact not in evidence. I hope that KS has a castle doctrine and I do think it was reasonable that the man feared for his life. 3 on 1, all, presumably bigger or at least in better shape than the HO, and commiting a criminal act, so their veracity is highly questionable. Sounds like a reasonable shoot from what I see, but there is much we don't see.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    How do we know that the perps were armed? Based on the OP's link, this is a fact not in evidence. I hope that KS has a castle doctrine and I do think it was reasonable that the man feared for his life. 3 on 1, all, presumably bigger or at least in better shape than the HO, and commiting a criminal act, so their veracity is highly questionable. Sounds like a reasonable shoot from what I see, but there is much we don't see.
    My mistake. I had assumed they were armed, but the article only says they made a threat.

I would still think that this was a justified shooting given forced entry, feloney burglery and making a threat.

No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry.

Links