Canadian Shooting

This is a discussion on Canadian Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How can this happen? We all know how the gun laws of our Canadian neighbours to the North have saved them from a tragedy such ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tricolordad
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By GunnyBunny
  • 1 Post By oakchas

Thread: Canadian Shooting

Canadian Shooting

How can this happen? We all know how the gun laws of our Canadian neighbours to the North have saved them from a tragedy such as this. In all honesty, no gun law stops things like this.

I'm suprised Gunny Bunny (one of our Canadian D.C. members) has not seen and posted this.

Gunman kills 1 at rally for new Quebec premier - Yahoo! News
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

I wonder if the shock the third man was treated for was caused by criminals not obeying laws.
    Secret_Storm likes this.

VIP Member
    AP news -Breaking Story!!!!!!

There has been a shooting in the Capitol city of Canada today as the new Premier was beginning to speak.

They(the Canadians) have tough gun laws to thank , as only one person died and one injured.
    They do not know at this time if the shooter bears any resemblence to Elmer Fudd, and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside, but thank goodness for tough gun laws!

Updates to follow.

Sarcasm off!
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    How can this happen? We all know how the gun laws of our Canadian neighbours to the North have saved them from a tragedy such as this. In all honesty, no gun law stops things like this.

I'm surprised Gunny Bunny (one of our Canadian D.C. members) has not seen and posted this.

Gunman kills 1 at rally for new Quebec premier - Yahoo! News
    Oh I saw it all right. It's been plastered all over CBC TV and the other networks all day long.

And JoJo, congrats on spelling "neighbour" properly.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    There has been a shooting in the Capitol city of Canada today as the new Premier was beginning to speak.
    Two correction OS.

It took place in Montreal, not Ottawa. Granted the winning party would like Montreal to be the capitol of an independent Quebec.

Secondly, she's not the premier, yet. Give it a week or so until she's sworn in.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I have spent some time in the Toronto area recently. Some of the hotel bar conversation turned to the gun violence in the area. Being from teh Detroit area I tried to explain to them that not every crime with a gun made the national news in Canada. Gun crimes rarely makes even the local news in Detroit unless there is some form of creatitivity involved. A simple drive by or gang related shooting rates about 10 seconds on the morning news. Now kidnap a 9 month pregnant woman. Torture, shoot her and leave her for dead only to have her make it to a hospital on her own, now we have front page stuff.

Needless to say I am making light of a very serious crime that actually happened in Detroit but it does illustrate how paranoid the Canadian press is when it comes to fire arm use. Each episode is quickly followed by another call for tighter gun control laws and the need to outlaw all guns in Canada. I am not sure they will ever get it over there. By outlawing all guns you are only taking the guns from the law abiding citizens. The crooks will always have access to them and the police can't be everywhere all the time.

My wife lives in Montreal,the Party that won not only wants a seperation of the province from Canada,but are totally against anything english,According to my wife a guy was attacked for speaking English in Montreal by some of the Pro French goons.When I was up there all the street signs and any warning/detour signs are in French.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Oh I saw it all right. It's been plastered all over CBC TV and the other networks all day long.

And JoJo, congrats on spelling "neighbour" properly.
    Thank you Gunny! I have some distant cousins in Alberta and the Brit spelling of some words comes from an Episcopal priest we had at our church. Always liked that way.

My Canadian cousins explain to me that Quebec is kind of like the red-headed step-child of Canada. They want French-only language and separation, but when it comes down to actually leaving Canada, it always gets voted down. Many Canadians outside Quebec are secretly hoping they do separate. They also believe Quebec will fall flat on it's French face once they do and then beg to re-join Canada. Many western Canadians really do not like Quebekers, period.

I have had some run-ins with them and they do appear arrogant, self-righteous and downright rude, but that's just me. They remind me of the U.S. Puerto Rico. Once in awhile they feel the need to put on the ballot a bid for Spanish speaking independence.

This shooting demonstrates just how vile the political landscape can be, not only just here in the U.S.A., but other places as well. No matter how much firearms are restricted, the event like this one still happens. If we lived in a perfect world, there would be no need for firearms or weapons at all, but that is for another discussion. It is a tragedy no matter where it happend, and the shooter needs to be punished to the full extent of whatever law he is under.

By the way, I do know that Ottawa is the Canadian Capital. Montreal would be Provincial Capital.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Gee, In Quebec, wouldn't the CORRECT spelling of neighbour be voisin?
    Mike1956 likes this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Links