watch you're back at the pumps- man held up while pumping gas

This is a discussion on watch you're back at the pumps- man held up while pumping gas within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Surveillance video shows a man gassing up his car at a pump when a man and a woman approach him. Police say the male suspect ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: watch you're back at the pumps- man held up while pumping gas

watch you're back at the pumps- man held up while pumping gas

Surveillance video shows a man gassing up his car at a pump when a man and a woman approach him.
    Police say the male suspect pistol-whipped the man on the back of his head, then helped the female suspect rifle through the victim's pockets as he lay on the ground.

As the woman distracts him the guy comes from behind and assaults him

Police seek 3 suspects in violent gas pump robbery - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

2. Remove Ads

That's tough. Somebody approaches me in that manner, they are getting a gasoline shower.
    Bubbiesdad and VBVAGUY like this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    One wants to try and know what is going on around them in a 360 degree circle. But to those who say they are S/A 24/7 I have to say your better than I am. And I think everyone has their down moments when it can and will be the time it happens. We then have to hope we have trained and prepared and are ready and able to defend ourselves.

It did not look as if the GG was knocked out just drug to the ground after a short time of struggle. So there was an opportunity to have fought off the attack. The question is could you have done it.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

NMB
    Pumping gas, especially at night is one of those times when im on higher guard for sure.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    One wants to try and know what is going on around them in a 360 degree circle. But to those who say they are S/A 24/7 I have to say your better than I am.
    Yup.

It's hard. I look around as I'm approaching the place; maintain visual as much as possible while at the pump; continually scan and listen for anomalies. Yet I've still on a couple occasions been approached closely by someone who sneaked in under the radar. Tough to do perfectly, as you say. Harder still, if they're working in tandem and doing a perfect imitation of another customer heading toward a pump.

Be safe out there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

the place is harry Hines Blvd. and walnut hill st (not to far from here) in an industrial area mixed with junk shops and bars so late at night traffic is scarce and easy access to the hwy and a multitude of apartment complexes not too far away. Trash looking for an easy mark to hit
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Pumping gas, especially at night is one of those times when im on higher guard for sure.
    From all the jokes Ive heard from Dallas natives Harry Hines is a bad bad place. It supposedly is an area known for drugs and prostitution. So you would think you would be even more aware in an area like that.
    NMB and Rock and Glock like this.

VIP Member
    One wants to try and know what is going on around them in a 360 degree circle. But to those who say they are S/A 24/7 I have to say your better than I am. And I think everyone has their down moments when it can and will be the time it happens. We then have to hope we have trained and prepared and are ready and able to defend ourselves.

It did not look as if the GG was knocked out just drug to the ground after a short time of struggle. So there was an opportunity to have fought off the attack. The question is could you have done it.
    I am definitely more cautious and alert in that environment than the victim was.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Map @ Google, showing the pumps at that station: click.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    That's tough. Somebody approaches me in that manner, they are getting a gasoline shower.
    My aunt (well, my mom's niece, but Arkansas kinship traces are weird) was held up at a gas station many years ago. That was exactly what she did -- sprayed the gasoline in their eyes, and then said "I have a lighter, too...."

They ran -- they were a bunch of unarmed punks thinking they could take advantage of who they thought was a helpless woman. (This is the same aunt that encouraged me to carry a roll of dimes to school when I was dealing with bullies as a makeshift weapon.)
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Maybe this thread should be titled "Don't Gas Up At Midnight".............
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    The problem with that is crack heads don't sleep so their night is your day.

Yes, but certainly NOT when getting gas in the 'dark' hours...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Map @ Google, showing the pumps at that station: click.

Not tying to derail the thread but, Look at them gas prices. Geesh!

On topic: Since he wasn't aware of his surroundings, not sure he'd of had an opportunity to draw if he had a concealed weapon. He is lucky that gun didnt go off because Im sure that thug was using caution as to not cause an ND.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post

One of the best reasons to have plenty in the tank ... to avoid such places, times.

Same logic as making camp well before sundown. (Potholes, cliffs, unseen nocturnal predators, etc.)
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links