Ugly: Little Rock Police Officer charged with manslaughter of 15-year old car thief

This is a discussion on Ugly: Little Rock Police Officer charged with manslaughter of 15-year old car thief within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Was this Officer just over worked, under paid and frustrated at the criminal element doing their trade unimpeded? Perhaps. Probably has seen too much revolving ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ugly: Little Rock Police Officer charged with manslaughter of 15-year old car thief

Was this Officer just over worked, under paid and frustrated at the criminal element doing their trade unimpeded? Perhaps. Probably has seen too much revolving door stuff where the perp is arrested and then bonds out to continue unabated and perhaps graduating to more serious crime.

I talk to cops where I live and they are frustrated beyond belief. They busted drug dealers in the garage apartment across the alley from my detached garage one Sunday morning in March of this year. One of them, guy named Jerry Westmoreland, had been busted in January for the same thing and then, in August, I saw his lovely face in our local newspaper busted again for the same thing. Sad to say but the only cure for Jerry is to get capped by someone and cease to exist. He doesn't appear to want to stop selling drugs and when I mention his name to Police, Sheriff Deputies or others, the just roll their eyes and laugh, they all know him and what he does. I really don't want to know what they really want to do about Mr. Westmoreland, but I have the suspicion it involves gunfire.

This 15 year old sad to say has had his career ended early in life. He didn't have to be shot and killed, but the circumstances behind it are many. We shouldn't have a revolving door to criminals and our Police Officers should not have to be so frustrated that they resort to something like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Seems like all the information is lacking in the description of the current case. But the thing that's most disturbing to me is that is the delinquent kid hadn't been committing a serious adult crime, he'd still be alive and the cop wouldn't have his career at risk. Where does the 'original sin' lie?
    Once someone starts the ball rolling with some criminal activity, its hard to stop, and the results that follow are not always proportionate. The kid committing an adult crime, may not have got what he deserved, but did start the ball rolling.
    The lawyers will make sure the cop's days as an officer are over, if not worse.
    jumpwing likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Once someone starts the ball rolling with some criminal activity, its hard to stop, and the results that follow are not always proportionate.
    This.

Breaking into my home in the middle of the night doesn't "deserve" the death penalty but the intruder has just created a situation that could easily end in his death. I wish people would stop framing the outcome of an event like this with a "didn't deserve" perspective. "Deserve" has nothing to do with it. It's called "enabling the possibility."
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    These are definitely dangerous times. Recently, in Florida, a policeman approached a teen in the early hours of the morning under suspicious circumstances, and asked him for some identification. The teen pulled a gun and shot and killed the cop. This Little Rock kid could have just as easily run the cop over and then the cop would be dead, or the kid could have pulled a gun and shot the cop. A split second is all that separates a dead teen punk from a dead cop with a family. Disarm the police and see how many cadets you have at the academy next year. There's two sides to every story. Only a gun-grabbing liberal would condemn this cop until he has his day in court. Being a cop is a tough enough job without the fear of prosecution delaying a decision that might well cost a cop his life. This smells like another Zimmerman case.
    oneshot likes this.

Whether or not the person got what they deserved or not should not be part of deciding if what happened was right or wrong. The only thing that matters should be the law. We do not want the Government deciding what people deserve. They should follow the law . Was it a justified self defense shoot or not?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post

This.

Breaking into my home in the middle of the night doesn't "deserve" the death penalty but the intruder has just created a situation that could easily end in his death. I wish people would stop framing the outcome of an event like this with a "didn't deserve" perspective. "Deserve" has nothing to do with it. It's called "enabling the possibility."
    jumpwing likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Do the Crime accept/expect the consequences IMO.

In this case I'm on the LEOs side since their was an actual crime being committed. I don't get it, when a LEO actually abuses their position they routinely have nothing happen but when a LEO actually stops/prevents an actual crime he is charged with a crime.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links