Ugly: Little Rock Police Officer charged with manslaughter of 15-year old car thief

Ugly: Little Rock Police Officer charged with manslaughter of 15-year old car thief

This is a discussion on Ugly: Little Rock Police Officer charged with manslaughter of 15-year old car thief within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Little Rock Police Officer charged with manslaughter - FOX16.com Little Rock, AR LITTLE ROCK, AR (AP & KLRT) – Officer Josh Hastings has been charged ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ugly: Little Rock Police Officer charged with manslaughter of 15-year old car thief

Little Rock Police Officer charged with manslaughter - FOX16.com Little Rock, AR

LITTLE ROCK, AR (AP & KLRT) – Officer Josh Hastings has been charged with manslaughter in the death of a 15-year-old boy, FOX16 has learned.

According to police reports, Hastings shot 15-year-old Bobby Moore after Moore and two friends were allegedly caught trying to break into cars at the Shadow Lake Apartments on Markham around 5:00 am on August 13.

According to the charging affidavit, autopsy indicated Moore’s head was turned to the right, looking over his shoulder, when he was shot. Moore was killed instantly by a single shot to the head.

Police Chief Stuart Thomas said in a statement that evidence shows the car stopped several feet from Hastings and that the driver was starting to back up when Hastings fired.

Thomas says prosecutors agreed that the use of force wasn't justified the night of Moore's death.

-----

Called this one ugly because it's just plain ugly for all parties... grand theft auto isn't a death penalty offense, but at the same time the officer might not have realized the car was reversing at the time he fired -- it may have been that the car was coming toward him as he was drawing, and "draw, sight, and shoot" was all reflex for him. Dunno how this one will come out, but they did elect to file charges so the physical evidence must be pretty convincing.

VIP Member
    From officer Hastings perspective,

According to Officer Hastings, the fleeing vehicle came directly towards him as he identified himself and shouted for them to stop and fearing it was about to hit him and having no time or safe avenue to retreat, he fired his service weapon at the vehicle.

Again, according to Officer Hastings, the vehicle continued past him a short distance up a slight incline, then rolled backwards some distance and collided with a parked car on the parking lot. Two of the individuals in the car fled the scene on foot at this point and were later apprehended. The driver of the vehicle, a 15-year-old male suffered gunshot wounds and was deceased at the scene.

According to the investigative findings,

The evidence development during the course of the investigations indicates that the vehicle approaching the officer had in fact stopped several feet from him and that the driver was in the process of reversing direction when the shots were fired. Medical opinion provides that the driver was immediately incapacitated by his wounds. There is no evidence to support the officer's claim that the vehicle continued past him, and significant indication that the vehicle would necessarily had to have been in reverse at some point to reach the location of its collision with a parked car.

I'd say its going to be perhaps confusing sitting on the jury for awhile.
    One side or the other is going to have persuasive evidence to the contrary on this one.

As for the deceased punk, its unfortunate these street urchins find it more lucrative to involve themselves in a violent life of crime, as he apparently carjacked a woman at gunpoint previously, and had numorous other infractions.
    Gonna be interesting to watch.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I don't know .... first indication to me is , the officer was justified in shooting. So, I'm assuming there is more to this story than is being told, or it's some PC .... BS.
    A vehicle can definitely be used a weapon.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

How sad! The young Gangster got an early Criminal Retirement Medal at the age of 15.
    I'm sure the other participants will tell a damaging story against the Officer.
    So he can kiss his Career goodbye.

But, let's face it. He stopped a crime wave and probably prevented a lot of future crimes.
    This young man was already on his way to Prison or an Early Grave. He just hadn't committed the right crime and got caught yet.
    Let's hope his retirement means some innocent life was spared by the eradication of this young gangster. Sounds like he alrady had a good foothold on his chosen profession to me!

His family can celebrated his "Celebration of Life" at his Granite Plaque Award Ceremony.

What you want to bet he learned his lesson about "Cause and Effect" now?

Too bad his parents weren't able to teach him sooner!
    GunGeezer likes this.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I hope the officer did the right thing, and is proven innocent in court.... no matter what it's going to cost him and his family a bunch of money
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

"He is disappointed. He believes he is innocent of these charges. He was simply protecting the citizens of this city. Sometimes when you protect the city, you have to protect yourself and that's what he did. He is disappointed. But he knows in the long run, he is going to be proven innocent," said attorney Bill James.
    Did he make a mistake? After all the youth was going to back up? 7 WHOLE FT....he might have jumped the gun but this is questionable!
    Police Chief Stuart Thomas said in a statement that evidence shows the car stopped several feet from Hastings and that the driver was starting to back up when Hastings fired.

The officer involved

Well one thing for sure I think his career as an officer is over. Probably sued and might get Jail time over punks stealing. A police officer can make a mistake and he can be toast in a heartbeat. Very sad for all involved.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Happened out here in the Phoenix area a few years ago. Off-duty motorcycle cop gets a call as he's pulling into his own driveway, and elects to respond. Drugged-out, white, suburbanite woman is passing a fake Rx in a Walgreen's drive-through; staff calls the cops. He attempts to arrest her, she guns the car at him, knocking over his bike and he fires. Woman is killed, infant child in the back seat is unharmed. Cop got hung out to dry by his own department and county, but the state refused to revoke his POST ticket. Charges were filed and prosecuted and he was found innocent, but his career is toast.

Seems like all the information is lacking in the description of the current case. But the thing that's most disturbing to me is that is the delinquent kid hadn't been committing a serious adult crime, he'd still be alive and the cop wouldn't have his career at risk. Where does the 'original sin' lie?
    bmcgilvray, WHEC724 and oneshot like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If kid was shot in side of head then he was looking to backup and try to flee,I will bet money if he would have surrendered when he was under the gun he would be alive to continue being a thug.The LEO may have made a bad decision to shoot,but what if the kid had taken off and run over and killed a kid down the block,then people would be crying about why he wasn't stopped sooner.That 2000 Lb weapon with a 15 yr old driving at high speed can cause a lot more damage than a bullet from a gun.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I can remember a time or two, in my youth, a few fellas hot wired cars and took off in them. What happened? Their fathers beat the tar out of them and they are still around to tell the story. They weren't shot in the head. Those same fellas turned out to be law abiding citizens with good jobs and family's. Lets not jump the gun and say every kid that does something stupid is off to a life of crime.

If the police officer was in the right then leave the man alone he was doing his job. If, on the other hand, the police officer could have used less than deadly force. That has to be looked into also.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Being from Arkansas myself....I'm well aware of what's going down here on a daily basis. Quite frankly....it's been embarrassing for several months now including those who have been sentenced in the Delta Blues case, and the Jonesboro ordeal. I honestly don't know what's going down in the home state now....but like I say......not looking good and an embarrassment that's become nation wide news. I keep thinking to myself that these sort of things have always happened in other places and I was appalled in those instances. It never hits closer to home than when it happens at home. Our state has been violated in so many ways here of late. I still wouldn't wish to live anywhere else in the US. There's no virgin territory anywhere.....anymore. The many wear the sins of the few. I'm from Arkansas and I always will be. I'll be proud to say that until the day I die.
    tacman605 likes this.

VIP Member
    This will all come down to who can prove "The direct, immediate, threat at that time".

If the vehicle was in fact headed toward the officer being used as a weapon he could/would be justified. If the vehicle had stopped, backed/backing up the threat was in fact done. As stated this all happened in the blink of an eye. I truly hope the truth comes out for all concerned.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    I can remember a time or two, in my youth, a few fellas hot wired cars and took off in them. What happened? Their fathers beat the tar out of them and they are still around to tell the story. They weren't shot in the head. Those same fellas turned out to be law abiding citizens with good jobs and family's. Lets not jump the gun and say every kid that does something stupid is off to a life of crime.

If the police officer was in the right then leave the man alone he was doing his job. If, on the other hand, the police officer could have used less than deadly force. That has to be looked into also.
    I agree. I know plenty of people who got off to a "rough start" in their childhood/youth but turned out to be law abiding citizens. One cannot assume that this kid would of went on to continue a life of a crime had he not been killed, just as one cannot automatically assume the officer didn't act in good faith.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'm not happy the kid is dead. Who knows what or whom he'd have turned out to be. Cant use deadly force to prevent someone for becoming a worse criminal. At this point, and with the information available I cant see this Officer's use of deadly force being justified. IMO It was probably more an accident than self defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links