Aurora theater targeted because it was a No Gun Zone - Page 2

Aurora theater targeted because it was a No Gun Zone

This is a discussion on Aurora theater targeted because it was a No Gun Zone within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by suntzu What did they deny them? The use of their brains and decision making process's? And like it was quoted in the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Aurora theater targeted because it was a No Gun Zone

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    What did they deny them? The use of their brains and decision making process's? And like it was quoted in the article: security guards most likely would not have mattered.
    An armed guard may have difficulty gaining access with fleeing patrons opposing him/her but CC'ers already in the theater might not have as much of a disadvantage. Not to mention it would probably be quicker and easier for someone inside already to locate and track the BG vs a security guard who wasnt present when it started.

Most of us CC'ers carry to protect ourselves and I think that was GunGeezers point. They may not provide an armed guard but they also dont allow patrons to have that optio of self protection either. I cant remember if CO no gun signs carry the weight of the law or not.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Cinemark in my town isn't posted. I've never seen a gunbuster sign at any of the theaters here in Lexington, KY. And even if they were posted, in KY it doesn't carry the weight of the law. Maybe that's why they don't post them here.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    An armed guard may have difficulty gaining access with fleeing patrons opposing him/her but CC'ers already in the theater might not have as much of a disadvantage. Not to mention it would probably be quicker and easier for someone inside already to locate and track the BG vs a security guard who wasnt present when it started.

Most of us CC'ers carry to protect ourselves and I think that was GunGeezers point. They may not provide an armed guard but they also dont allow patrons to have that optio of self protection either. I cant remember if CO no gun signs carry the weight of the law or not.
    That wasn't the point. The point was that many folks beleive that if they hava gun buster sign they should have had more security.

Coming from the words of Mr/ Lott (hyperbole and guesswork) that may not have mattered. If they were inside the actual theater where the filmiing was being shown it might not have mattered for the same reasons.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I think that it is time for a national law that declares gun buster signs have no force.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I think that it is time for a national law that declares gun buster signs have no force.
    I like your enthusiasm...

But that should be left up to the states.

There are 50 different ones for a reason after all...

Maybe if more people understood why there would be less calls for Federal regulation of most issues.

FreeFalling likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Aurora theater targeted because it was a No Gun Zone

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    But that should be left up to the states.

There are 50 different ones for a reason after all...

Maybe if more people understood why there would be less calls for Federal regulation of most issues.
    I would prefer it be up to the states. Unfortunately my state is the CA of the south in terms of restrictions and it will probably take a proverbial 2X4 upside some heads to get it changed. I would willingly settle to have changed crammed down their throats by the feds at this point.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Understood.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar

The theater did not BAN anything

This is my understanding of Colorado law as is pertains to "No Guns" or "No Weapons" on private property that is open to the public (with or without admission), but does not have full time security check points in place with metal detectors and/or x-ray screening, similar to the airport or court house.

The signs DO NOT have the force of law behind them. They are purely as wish of the property owner, and carry no more weight than "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service", "No Outside Food or Drink", or "No Cell Phones". The only teeth they have is if you are discovered to be carrying a weapon (CC or OC), and they ask you to leave the property, you must do so immediately, or face a trespassing charge. This is the same as if I went barefoot to the local mall wearing an inappropriate t-shirt and was asked to leave.

Now the debate on whether law abiding CCW permit holder should respect the wishes of the property owners and not carry on the premises is fodder for another topic. I personally refuse to value the "opinion" of a business above my (& my family's) safety, especially if they provide a service or product that I desire. Try finding a shopping mall that does not have "Code of Conduct" posted somewhere with a "No Weapons" clause, right next to the "No Vulgar Clothing". The funny thing is that many of these malls have stores that sell firearms/knives/swords, automatically violating their own policy. Concealed means concealed.

Thanks,

Hunter

From a psychopath’s prospective a gun-buster sign, even with no legal weight, will drastically reduce the chances of armed prey fighting back. It would makes since for the them to take this into consideration.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Simple possession of a firearm in a "no-gun zone" was the least of the Aurora shooter's concerns.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing
    Now, if he ever admits to having considered the "no guns" policy during his planning...
    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Then the media will most likely spin it as the "rantings of a madman"...
    Actually they would ignore it and focus on "how did the madman get his guns and how can we prevent this in the future?" Then they would draw the predictable conclusion of "no guns for anyone ever."

The bottom line is that too many people in this country see the 2A as a trivial option instead of a tremendous responsibility that must be managed on an individual level.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed.

USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I don't know what the legal aspects are, but with denying the public the right to defend themselves couldn't the theater chain be guilty of negligence for not providing a safe environment for the unarmed public.
    I doubt it. There is no special circumstance in the theater similar to law enforcement's duty to protect those they have taken into custody. The person taken into custody had no choice. Therefore the police have a duty to protect them. They are the only people the police have a duty to protect. Odd isn't it, how the only people the police have a duty to protect as individuals are the scum they arrest? Oh well ...

Entering the theater is strictly voluntary. Nobody took you into custody and forced you in to it. You are there of your own free will. You pay your money and take your chances.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Odd isn't it, how the only people the police have a duty to protect as individuals are the scum they arrest?
    It was recently stated in another thread (something to the effect of) that "laws only truly protect criminals (from the police and law abiding). For me, part of the irony of this, is that it recently occurred to me that 'law' is really a playing a big game of lets agree to pretend.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    It was recently stated in another thread (something to the effect of) that "laws only truly protect criminals (from the police and law abiding). For me, part of the irony of this, is that it recently occurred to me that 'law' is really a playing a big game of lets agree to pretend.
    I agree. The way it is set up, innocent law abiding citizens act as bait for bad guys. If a bad guy takes the bait, law enforcement puts yellow tape around the sacrificial bait and then investigates, or not, depending on the percieved value of the bait, the police departments budget situation, and the political consequences of not finding the perp."

The founding fathers answer to that was the second amendment.

There are, what seem to me to be some pretty important facts related to crime that go unmentioned when the likes of Bloomberg and Schumer discuss the subject:
    1. The victim is always there when the crime is committed. The police almost never are, other than by coincidence, unless they are the ones committing the crime.
    2. The victim always knows who the bad guy is - it's that SOB right there that's attacking me, or robbing me, or assaulting me, or my SO.
    3. The police arrive on the scene late, afraid for their well being, poorly trained, poorly equipped, and most importantly, very poorly informed about who the bad guy is. That's one of the reasons why their mistaken identity numbers, shooting innocent people, is so much worse than that of armed private citizens. The other reason for mistaken identity is the police go toward trouble, citizens try to go away from trouble.
    So, if the victim is always there, and always knows unambigiously who the bad guy is, why not arm the potential victim and let them defend themselves? The founding fathers thought it made sense. Having the victims protect themselves with the police being brought in after the fact to be sure it was justified solves a lot of problems and saves the lives of a lot of innocent people.

Alas, that is way too complicated for the pea brains of people like Bloomberg, Pelosi, Schumer and their anti cronies to understand, or, they percieve it as a loss of power over the public they view as slaves, subjects, rather than citizens. Probably some of both.

Only those who coddle criminals would think otherwise.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links