Aurora theater targeted because it was a No Gun Zone

This is a discussion on Aurora theater targeted because it was a No Gun Zone within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting article and glad it made it to National News: Did Colorado shooter single out Cinemark theater because it banned guns? | Fox News...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Aurora theater targeted because it was a No Gun Zone

Aurora theater targeted because it was a No Gun Zone

Interesting article and glad it made it to National News:

Did Colorado shooter single out Cinemark theater because it banned guns? | Fox News
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

2. Remove Ads

Yes, good to see the discussion.

Not good that one theaters immediate reaction was to enact a no gun zone after the incident... Typical kneejerk reaction though.

It's about time the media did something right.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I agree it's nice to see the media point out the folly of a "gun free zone" but, unfortunately it's all speculation. There's nothing so far to support the idea that this was actually a strategic consideration on his part. Besides, stories that appear on Fox have zero credibility with the kind of people who are convinced that gun free zones are effective.

Now, if he ever admits to having considered the "no guns" policy during his planning...
    Ionracas and ccw9mm like this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

How about folks start learning the meaning of personal responsibility. The folks that were cc holders that did not bring their weapons with them obviously knew before hand the policy of the theater. More than likely they have been there before. In the article it said :
    Armed security guards at movie theaters are rare in low crime areas, such as Aurora, especially on less crowded weeknights. And, with an audience fleeing the theater, armed guards may have experienced difficulty getting quickly inside.
    Therefore it appears it was a low threat enviroment to begin with and for folks that keep saying that because of the no gun sign they should have had security guards, well, that quote kind of blows that argument away.

I have a much better idea. Folks need to read this site:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?source=...w=1366&bih=681

It provides many insights of what personal responsibility means. If it meant driving ten more minutes to get to a theater that allowed you to have a gun then you should do that instead of whining about it after the fact you made a poor personal choice when their were options available.

We were driving through St. Louis at 1 AM trying to find a motel for the night. (wife and 9 yr old son). Almost every place was full. We finally found a flea trap that had vacancies. It was in a real bad part of town. We weighed the risk and said no way and took turns driving another hour till we found a place that we felt safe. Folks, it is called personal responsibility..............If we stayed in the other motel and something happened it would obviously be the BG's fault but partly mine for making a stupid decision.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I agree it's nice to see the media point out the folly of a "gun free zone" but, unfortunately it's all speculation. There's nothing so far to support the idea that this was actually a strategic consideration on his part. Besides, stories that appear on Fox have zero credibility with the kind of people who are convinced that gun free zones are effective.

Now, if he ever admits to having considered the "no guns" policy during his planning...
    Agree. Also, if it ever did come down to him admitting this was the case, the only people to be surprised are the only people who think that gun-free zones are a good idea.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Exactly! Plus, most antis discredit Lott's work anyway.

John, on Fox, is preaching to the choir.

Shame, that.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Then the media will most likely spin it as the "rantings of a madman"...
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I don't know what the legal aspects are, but with denying the public the right to defend themselves couldn't the theater chain be guilty of negligence for not providing a safe environment for the unarmed public. I read that quite a few law suits have already been filed by law firms who are good at getting blood out of rocks.

A few generous awards might give the theater owners pause to consider that by banning guns they are giving certain assurances that there will indeed be no guns to endanger the paying movie goers. Any lawyers on here care to speculate?

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I don't know what the legal aspects are, but with denying the public the right to defend themselves couldn't the theater chain be guilty of negligence for not providing a safe environment for the unarmed public. I read that quite a few law suits have already been filed by law firms who are good at getting blood out of rocks.

A few generous awards might give the theater owners pause to consider that by banning guns they are giving certain assurances that there will indeed be no guns to endanger the paying movie goers. Any lawyers on here care to speculate?
    What did they deny them? The use of their brains and decision making process's? And like it was quoted in the article: security guards most likely would not have mattered.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post

>IANAL<

Not to spread rumor, but that's the answer I seem to remember reading about WM's decision to allow CC in states where legal...

They didn't want a lawsuit for not providing adequate protection in a posted store.

I'll try to find the reference and link to it...
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Here in North Carolina, it's our legislature that stops us from carrying in any movie theater... Very strict rules such as that and can't carry in a restaurant that SERVES alcohol, even if the CCW holder isn't consuming alcohol.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Exactly! Plus, most antis discredit Lott's work anyway.
    And this article is another reason why everyone should be wary of what Lott says. He cites no evidence that the killer researched the theaters' gun policies, then, "With over 4 percent of the adult population in Colorado having concealed handgun permits, a couple hundred adults in Cinemark’s movie theater #9 means that there is an extremely high probability that at least one adult would have a permit."

A significant portion of that audience would not have been adults. On top of that, he assumes that everyone with a permit will be carrying and we know that not all permit holders carry all the time. So the odds of someone being armed in that theater were not in fact "extremely high".

And that's why they discredit what he says. He plays "fast and loose" with his numbers...

The guy is on our side, but his figures are conjecture in a lot of instances.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Good article. I like the very end of it, wonder why all the anti gun folks dont have those gun free zone signs right in the front yard?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links