In the news or Not in the news Zimmerman

This is a discussion on In the news or Not in the news Zimmerman within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 Coverage has been orchestrated to make it appear as though the contempt and detestation of Zimmerman is universal. It is not. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: In the news or Not in the news Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Coverage has been orchestrated to make it appear as though the contempt and detestation of Zimmerman is universal. It is not. Many are sympathetic to his plight, as exemplified by the number of small donations which have been made to his defense fund. A McGraw audience, or the people who attend Al Sharpton press conferences aren't indicative of a jury of Zimmerman's peers.
    I didn't mean to insinuate everyone is against him. What I meant it if the jury is likely to contain people with preconceived opinions of the "right" outcome. If it's tilted too far one way or the other, one side or the other will complain about unfairness. If it's an even mix they're unlikely to agree on anything. I think it's going to end in a hung jury myself.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I didn't mean to insinuate everyone is against him. What I meant it if the jury is likely to contain people with preconceived opinions of the "right" outcome. If it's tilted too far one way or the other, one side or the other will complain about unfairness. If it's an even mix they're unlikely to agree on anything. I think it's going to end in a hung jury myself.
    Do the charges require a unanimous verdict?

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Do the charges require a unanimous verdict?
    One would hope so.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I think in a criminal trial it does take a unanimous verdict whereas a civil trial it requires only a majority.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I think in a criminal trial it does take a unanimous verdict whereas a civil trial it requires only a majority.
    A criminal trial requires the jury believe beyond a reasonable doubt the person is guilty. Otherwise he's not guilty.
    A civil trial the jury must find for the side with the preponderance of evidence. 51%.

A criminal trial does require unanimous verdict, a single jury member not agreeing results in a hung jury and a new trial.
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

I still am not convinced he will ever go to trial. He still has the opportunity to have his "stand your ground" hearing.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I still am not convinced he will ever go to trial. He still has the opportunity to have his "stand your ground" hearing.
    I personally will be surprised if it does go to trial.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Dr. Phill should be arrested and charged with impersonating Jerry Springer. Doing his psychologist thing has run its course. Today, if it dosen't bleed it's yesterday's news. Tough to bring off when you look like Mel Cooley.

Dr. Phil is just an annoying strange man and obviously a little to the left....I take him just about as seriously as I do Ronald McDonald.

This case is keeping a fairly low profile right now and is not scheduled for trial until 2013 at the earliest. His attorney has been trying to schedule a "stand your ground hearing", but with the new appointed judge, hard telling when that will be.

...the sad thing about all of this, is that there are gang-drug related drive by shootings and murders at least once or twice a month in Sanford in the "not so great" part of town. Same race killing same race, and everyone there just seems to accept it as a way of life. No public outcry or plane trips by Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton....no Black Panthers threatening to come to town and take out the gangs. Young people just as full of life as Trayvon Martin, and there is nothing for them.....I just don't get it. I guess only killings of a black man by another race are important in Sanford, Florida
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Found my answer to the unanimous jury question. In Florida, yes criminal charges require a unanimous jury. Only two states in the US currently allow less, Oregon and Louisiana.

1) New Judge
    2) Subpeonaed other party school records
    3) Still awaiting SYG hearing

Everything else is opinion and speculation.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Found my answer to the unanimous jury question. In Florida, yes criminal charges require a unanimous jury. Only two states in the US currently allow less, Oregon and Louisiana.
    Yes [and no] with regards to Florida.

Florida requires a unanimous verdict in criminal trials UNLESS the defendant waives the requirement. Flanning v State, 597 So.2d 864 (1992)

WT
    Interesting how now that some real facts about the case are out there, the news doesn't seem to care too much.

It was only important to them back when it was an unprovoked white man shooting a black kid drinking tea.

Gotta love the media.
    darbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    Yes [and no] with regards to Florida.

Florida requires a unanimous verdict in criminal trials UNLESS the defendant waives the requirement. Flanning v State, 597 So.2d 864 (1992)
    I think it is safe to assume George Zimmerman would not waive this requirement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links