In the news or Not in the news Zimmerman

This is a discussion on In the news or Not in the news Zimmerman within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As to why Z was not arrested at teh time of teh incident, this FL statute may clarify it a bit. 776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: In the news or Not in the news Zimmerman

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As to why Z was not arrested at teh time of teh incident, this FL statute may clarify it a bit.

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.
    (2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.

So it may be proper that Z was not arrested on the spot as some insist. Innocent until proven guilty--or at least until there's sufficient evvidence warrenting an arrest.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Good find OldVet. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    It still went before a prosecutor who declined to file charges. The police don't get to make that call -- it is not the same as a police officer exercising discretion in writing a ticket.
    Thanks for the clarification.

It still makes no sense to me that Seth Browning isn't being charged at all. He technically assaulted Baker first according to what I know, with pepper spray. Then Baker tried punching him, and Browning shot him, and drew on his brother once his brother approached.

That's not a very good self defense case, all he had was someone approaching him "aggressively" and he could've left the scene at any time. Instead he stopped when Baker did and allowed him to approach.

That case, more than Zimmerman's, is why I question SYG interpretations.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Only two states in the US currently allow less, Oregon and Louisiana.
    Wow, I never knew that. That is a bit disconcerting, for sure.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    Dr Phil just finished a one hour TV program about Zimmerman and it was so biased I had to leave the romm. Questions like "he had a pistol witout a safety which means he was looking for something to happen." They kept showing the eleven year old Travon Martin and not the guy that knocked Zimmerman down, damaged his nose, beat his head into the sidewalk. I had to leave. Zimmerman was found guilty on the show and the we lost a lot this afternoon.
    Trying to figure out why someone would watch Dr. Phil, the man is a quack. Bug's Bunny and the Roadrunner have more educational value then Dr. Phil!
    darbo and msgt/ret like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Trying to figure out why someone would watch Dr. Phil, the man is a quack. Bug's Bunny and the Roadrunner have more educational value then Dr. Phil!
    I watched it because it had a first-time interview with someone intimately familiar with the Zimmerman case instead of the usual stuff. I'm interested in the case.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links