Man repels thief using 16 rounds Good argument against mag limits.

This is a discussion on Man repels thief using 16 rounds Good argument against mag limits. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bill MO This is why we should train and practice for those off the wall situations that some here say there is ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Man repels thief using 16 rounds Good argument against mag limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    This is why we should train and practice for those off the wall situations that some here say there is no need to defend against because they will never happen in their or your life time.

We have no idea what we may face or when we will face it so that's why you need to train for the worse possible situation you can think of. Hopefully you will never need to defend against it but you can if you have to. As the saying goes "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."
    So how many brush up or train like this.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'm glad I don't live next to him ... if he's shooting off rounds and can't hit his target.

Needs some range time.
    He already had a bullet in him before pulling his own weapon. I wonder what type of range practice would prepare a person for that. I've watched crack shots miss a trophy deer at under fifty yards before. They weren't even being shot at let alone shot at and hit like the person in the story.

Michael
    OldVet and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    To shoot and not knowing where 16 rounds are going is Irresponsible. Why save yourself and then go to jail for life or be bankrupt because you shot without looking; Some things are worse than death.
    I think I must have missed the part where the cops arrested the guy for defending himself.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    With that kind of shooting, the fact that no Good Guys were hurt is a relief. The absence of a tragic ending doesn't necessarily make this a textbook win.

I'm not crashing down on the guy--I wasn't there and it wasn't me who got shot--but this story should serve as yet another sobering reminder to train well and train often.

Using lethal force to defend yourself comes with emotional and mental aftermath, even if the shoot was totally justified on all sides. Imagine what you would be dealing with if your self-defense included deadly collateral damage because of indiscriminate, panicky gunfire.

I'm still glad to read that the Good Guys came out on top.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I am of the 5 or 6 shot carry clique. Though sometimes I do carry a hi-cap.

I can find no reason to criticize this man. I wasnt there, I wasnt wounded, I wasnt in fear for my life or the life of my family. I have to support his actions as reasonable, and probably prudent. The fact that no one else was wounded is proof enough for me that the guy had control, and was aware of his backstop... IMO an all round good job.
    OldVet, msgt/ret and BurgerBoy like this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    now you know this is going to upset the folks that carry those little 6 shot mouse guns that think they have all the need
    Just shoot slower and reload quickly!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    "Evil doer," "bad guy," again, I ask that we call them for what they are. "Criminals." When you're pointing a gun at someone with intent to do harm, you're a criminal, any other name is just sugar coating.

I have the best Massachusetts LTC one can have (Class A No restrictions) and it allows for high-capacity magazines.

Guess what? 10 is the max unless it's pre 1994 or something ban! High capacity = 10? Come on.

To shoot and not knowing where 16 rounds are going is Irresponsible. Why save yourself and then go to jail for life or be bankrupt because you shot without looking; Some things are worse than death.
    I would think one of those might be having your wife killed because you worried about a lawsuit.....

The owner of a popular Hopewell eatery who was shot Friday by a man who accosted him and his wife at their Prince George County home is set to be released from VCU Medical Center today with a broken collarbone and a bullet lodged in his shoulder.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It's probably a good thing that you're not a judge.

^YEP^^^^^

Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by TxCommish View Post
    Too bad you weren't there with your "Glock - 1911 - Whatever," to save the day.

^^^^HEY!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought I had the only Glock-1911 in the world, how'd you get it BSGuru?

^^^^^^That would be like you saying^^^^^^

That someone has never slipped on a patch of ice, or never "almost" stepped out into traffic because you were in a hurry.

Life happens and there are no absolutes.
    Should we all strive to be cognizant of where our rounds may go? YES.

Can that goal always be attainable in every circumstance?

Go ahead and get carjacked/robbed/assaulted with a deadly weapon, and be fully aware of your surroundings, and don't shoot the attacker because you "might not " know where all the rounds might go.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    When I first read the thread title "Man repels thief using 16 rounds Good argument...", I thought it said "Man repels thief using 16 Good arguments..."

Now, that's the way to settle an argument with a thief!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    So how many brush up or train like this.
    This should be a thread of it's own! Incredible!!

And remember, it's better to shoot your .45 with your feet than your feet with your .45!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Only if he used shotgun instead of pistol. Hope they catch those pos.

How many rounds does it take to kill someone during battle? I read it was a huge number so 16 isn't too out of the world. Besides, he already shot, and he stopped the threat.

Okay...

He was not accurate.
    He might have hit innocent bystanders with his 16 rounds.
    He was irresponsible, and it's a good thing someone wasn't a judge.

He scared criminal off.
    He may have saved his wife's life... and his own.
    He drew against the drop... took a bullet, and prevailed.
    He's gonna heal and return to his business.

The second group far outweighs the first. But, what are OUR lessons learned from the action? Here are some of mine:

A gun on the hip is far better than a gun under the seat/in the console/wherever in the car.
    Close the garage door before getting out of the car. (maybe)
    Get out of the car before your significant other... and clear the area.... this can be cursory, I'm not talking about gun drawn/slice the pie... You know, or should know, your garage... anything out of place? any odd shadows? etc.
    Got any hiding spots near the garage door..? bushes/planters/whatever..
    Motion light on driveway over garage door..

Any body got any more..?

LEARN from these things.... don't just talk about the FAILS... There are lessons to be learned in every occurrence or scenario even for the most hardened/trained/experts here...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links