Former West Point football player dies in accidental shooting at Connecticut home

Former West Point football player dies in accidental shooting at Connecticut home

This is a discussion on Former West Point football player dies in accidental shooting at Connecticut home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Marcus Dixon was once a homeless young teenager who made a "180-degree turn" when a family in Stamford, Conn., adopted him at age 17, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Former West Point football player dies in accidental shooting at Connecticut home

Marcus Dixon was once a homeless young teenager who made a "180-degree turn" when a family in Stamford, Conn., adopted him at age 17, the Connecticut Post reported. He went on to become the football captain at Stamford High School -- where he graduated from in 2009 -- before making it to West Point.

a hard life with a hard death.....

Former West Point football player dies in accidental shooting at Connecticut home | Fox News

Tragic for a guy who had turned his life around.

VIP Member
    He boo-booed on #2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rule #1 - A gun is loaded - always. (even if just checked clear!)

Rule #2 - NEVER point a gun at anything you do not wish to DESTROY

Rule #3 - Keep finger off trigger until actually intending to shoot.

Rule #4 - Know your target - and what is beyond.

Rip Marcus
    8th ID likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

That's a sad story. I'm not sure why people "show off" to their friends with a loaded gun. How many times have we seen this story where someone points a gun at their own head and pulls the trigger thinking it's safe?

Another example of media incompetence. Hidden? Really?

He had removed the magazine from the pistol and, thinking it was empty, tried to show the gun was safe by pointing it toward his head and pulling the trigger, the newspaper reported. One round was hidden in the gun's chamber.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

He shoulda got a gun with the magazine disonnect to help protect stupid people from themselves.
    I also don't believe it's an accident when you intentionally do something like point a gun at your head and then pull the trigger,It's more like an OOPSIE
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Reminds me of the soon to be Navy Seal who did the same thing while trying to impress a girl he met at a bar. He had been drinking obviously. No mention of whether alcohol was involved in this incident though.

Navy SEAL Shoots Himself While Showing Gun to Woman He Met in Bar | Fox News

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    He had removed the magazine from the pistol and, thinking it was empty, tried to show the gun was safe by pointing it toward his head and pulling the trigger, the newspaper reported. One round was hidden in the gun's chamber.
    Oops. That'll do it every time.

Good lesson, to the living: don't point loaded guns at your head, if you want to continue doing so (living, that is).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Learned something new from the article. Note to self, rounds can be "hidden" in the chamber. Hmmm, I've never had a single round of ammunition hide from me anywhere, but my head isn't buried in my rear end so I check the chamber after dropping the magazine.

No doubt that this will be used as an argument for why all guns need magazine disconnects and loaded chamber indicators.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

All my guns have a loaded chamber indicator, me.
    ccw9mm, foamx and darbo like this.

I am a very big pro-gun guy. Reading about this makes me support mandatory firearm training BEFORE you actually get or shoot a handgun. Sad, this guy was not an experienced gun guy - they often aren't in these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Another example of media incompetence. Hidden? Really?
    Yah, hidden. Must've been deliberately hiding from view, that derned little cartridge. "Hey, you! The little 9mm behind the ramp ... yeah, you, buddy!"

Spinning the perception, of course, pure and simple. Drummed into their heads day and night, it helps absolve people of the need for personal responsibility. Same ol', same ol'.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Some people shouldn't own a gun. Like the ones that point it at their own head and pull the trigger.
    8th ID likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JRA300 View Post
    I am a very big pro-gun guy. Reading about this makes me support mandatory firearm training BEFORE you actually get or shoot a handgun. Sad, this guy was not an experienced gun guy - they often aren't in these situations.
    In Bold: IMO you are not sir.

Your statement flies in the face of what having rights means and it would not preclude other incidents like this happening. Many folks who have been "trained" in firearms or are "experienced" have done stupid things before like forgetting there is a round in the chamber.

You are also going under an assumption that the man did not know anything about firearms. If he went to West Point he would have under gone firearms training during Cadet Basic Training. That nullifies your argument that firearms training would have prevented this tragic accident.
    PEF, Adrenaline and FLArmadillo like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

That is a load of horse dung.......We are talking about rights. Not driving.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Are you a statistician? What can you provide to support your assertions?

Even the most experienced person makes mistakes. The only difference between someone experienced and someone not is that the experienced person should know better but knowing better and not making a mistake are two entirely different things.

None of us are so infallible as to not make a mistake. We can only hope that when we make ours it is not a fatal/life altering one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links