Shotgun wielding robber disarmed - Good!

This is a discussion on Shotgun wielding robber disarmed - Good! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not the smartest course of action, but darn! The shotgun-wielding robber probably thought he had gotten the jump on his victim. Instead, it was the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TX expat
  • 1 Post By FreeFalling

Thread: Shotgun wielding robber disarmed - Good!

VIP Member

Shotgun wielding robber disarmed - Good!

Not the smartest course of action, but darn!

The shotgun-wielding robber probably thought he had gotten the jump on his victim.

Instead, it was the victim who disarmed the robber, wrestled him to the ground and held him for police early Sunday.

The 24-year-old victim had been walking from the QuikTrip at 44th and Main streets to the Country Club Plaza about 3:20 a.m. As he reached 47th Street, a car pulled over and a passenger stepped out wearing black clothes and black sunglasses. The gunman demanded the victimís wallet and keys.

The victim held up his wallet to show the gunman, then dropped it on the ground. The robber trained his shotgun on the victim while bending over to pick up the wallet.

Thatís when the victim lunged at the gunman, pushed the shotgun aside and struggled for control of the weapon. The victim got behind the gunman and held the shotgun tightly against him while wrestling him to the ground and eventually taking the shotgun away.

He tossed the shotgun aside and pinned the gunman while ignoring the gunmanís partner, who had stepped out of the car and was telling him to let the gunman go. The driver fled before officers arrived.

Police arrested a man who refused to provide his name. Police identified him through fingerprints.

As it turned out, the shotgun was not loaded.

Jackson County prosecutors charged Robert F. Mays, 40, of Kansas City, with attempted first-degree robbery.
    Read more here: Victim disarms gunman in attempted robbery near Plaza - KansasCity.com
    ArmyMan likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    He tossed the shotgun aside and pinned the gunman while ignoring the gunman’s partner, who had stepped out of the car and was telling him to let the gunman go. The driver fled before officers arrived.
    Hm. It could all have turned out very, very differently, had the second robber simply been armed.

Of course, hindsight is 20:20, but the citizen left the situation up to the whim of the fates, by (apparently) utterly ignoring the second robber. Tunnel focus/vision? Hard to know. It's mere chance the second guy wasn't armed, and that he failed to pick up the shotgun that had been "tossed aside."

Kudos to the citizen for surviving the incident. Great disarm. Lucky avoidance of the would-be second.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I believe I'd have just given them my wallet. He was in a no-win situation and certainly would have died had the thieves been ready and willing to follow through.

Of course a shotgun is a long weapon to control in a CQB situation. If the idiot were standing close enough to grab the barrel, and I were honestly in fear for my life, I'm not sure what I would have done. Could have ended with two BG's who aren't going home over an empty wallet and an unloaded shotgun.
    RichB70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    As it turned out, the shotgun was not loaded....

Read more here: Victim disarms gunman in attempted robbery near Plaza - KansasCity.com
    It's basic fight-or-flight. I share the victim's sentiment. I to will fight, not merely hand over everything on a threat.

Can not say for certain what I would do but good ending imo. Although beating the assailant with his own gun would have been acceptable imo as well.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Yeah, I'm not sure what I would do given the same scenario. I do know that shotguns scare the heck out of me because it's just so hard to miss at close range!

I also agree a stompin' would have been mandatory after the disarm! I'm sure the accomplice is in for a stompin' when the arrested guy gets cut loose!

Links