Bad: Murderer Too Fat to be Executed? - Page 2

Bad: Murderer Too Fat to be Executed?

This is a discussion on Bad: Murderer Too Fat to be Executed? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He's Too BIG To Fail....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Bad: Murderer Too Fat to be Executed?

Administrator
    He's Too BIG To Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    There are a lot of things wrong with this. Almost 25 years between the murders and the execution? I'm all for an appeals process, but should it really take a quarter of a century for justice to be administered? I'm thinking 5-10 years, maximum, which still sounds like a long time to wait. But, I do think appealing a potentially wrong decision is a good thing. I'd hate to have no way out if I were wrongfully sentenced to death for something I didn't do.
    What about this guy? He might actually be innocent.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Wow they should have a firing squads on books for scum like this. 7.62x51 or 30-06 does not discriminate.
    ccman and mano3 like this.

What the prison only holds .380?

We all know those are harmless on fat people...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    What about this guy? He might actually be innocent.
    He may be, but should we do away with the death penalty entirely? It's possible that, with enough time, each person put to death may have a chance for exoneration.

The justice system is not perfect because it involves by imperfect beings. Mistakes will always be made. I'm a Christian and believe that God will ultimately grant justice in one way or another, so if I am wrongfully put to death here on earth, that will ultimately be nothing compared to what I will be blessed with afterwards. I look to my Lord as the perfect example of being wrongfully sentenced to death, but even He didn't argue with the death penalty, just specific application of the law (I'm referring to the woman caught in adultery, in particular).

Until humanity becomes omniscient (won't happen), there will always be a risk of the innocent being condemned and the guilty being set free. We already err on the side of innocence, and I believe it is important to make sure justice is served as best as we can serve it as a society, or else we will devolve into chaos. We can already see hints of this in the way so many criminals come out of prison just to become repeat offenders. The punishments for crimes aren't as severe, in my opinion, and it leads to people who are accustomed to a rough life not taking the law seriously, and taking life from others who do take it seriously.

We do the best we can, but I still believe a shorter appeals process would be better. I still believe we should have one, and not execute someone immediately after sentencing, but I think there has to be a point where justice is served and not put off for decades and decades, costing society more than just the millions it takes to care for the inmates on death row, but also the lack of justice that society needs in order to function properly.

Just my take on it.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I am against the death penalty for many reasons. There have been many mistakes over the years. Way too many. And regardless of your or my religious beleifes is of no comfort to the family of a person wrongly executed. Most prefer they stay here on earth a while longer
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

I spent a day in jail recently. Turns out i was innocent ha! But how did he get fat?! Those bag breakfasts and malnourishing lunches left me starving.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I spent a day in jail recently. Turns out i was innocent ha! But how did he get fat?! Those bag breakfasts and malnourishing lunches left me starving.
    I find the circumstances surrounding you spending the day in custody more interesting than the original thread... Care to provide details....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    He's worried about pain and suffering. I wonder if he thinks about the pain and suffering he caused to his victim and their family...

Ohio death row inmate makes case that he's too obese for execution | Fox News
    This guy's weight would not be a problem if Bloomberg was in charge of the prison menu.
    joker1 and msgt/ret like this.

FWIW: 140 prisoners that were sentenced to death since the 60's have been freed. The criteria is :
    For Inclusion on DPIC's Innocence List:
    Defendants must have been convicted, sentenced to death and subsequently either-
    a) their conviction was overturned AND
    i) they were acquitted at re-trial or
    ii) all charges were dropped
    b) they were given an absolute pardon by the governor based on new evidence of innocence.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    This guy's weight would not be a problem if Bloomberg was in charge of the prison menu.
    He would have them breast feeding

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I am against the death penalty for many reasons. There have been many mistakes over the years. Way too many. And regardless of your or my religious beleifes is of no comfort to the family of a person wrongly executed. Most prefer they stay here on earth a while longer
    That's fine and you are free to believe what you want about the death penalty. I believe it is a necessary component of justice (depending on the crime) and should be approached carefully, but approached all the same. I would argue that the family of the victim(s) should find little comfort in knowing that justice is not being done, especially with the current state of the penal system and the relative luxury that prisoners live in. I know I wouldn't feel too good about the situation if my wife were raped and murdered by someone who has been in and out of prison for most of his life, and is getting three square meals a day and a roof over his head for the rest of his life, while I couldn't ever hold my wife again. No matter how rough a person has it in prison, they still have life.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

He would have them breast feeding
    Never before has prison sounded appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I find the circumstances surrounding you spending the day in custody more interesting than the original thread... Care to provide details....
    the detail will be two words....beauracratic loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    That's fine and you are free to believe what you want about the death penalty. I believe it is a necessary component of justice (depending on the crime) and should be approached carefully, but approached all the same. I would argue that the family of the victim(s) should find little comfort in knowing that justice is not being done, especially with the current state of the penal system and the relative luxury that prisoners live in. I know I wouldn't feel too good about the situation if my wife were raped and murdered by someone who has been in and out of prison for most of his life, and is getting three square meals a day and a roof over his head for the rest of his life, while I couldn't ever hold my wife again. No matter how rough a person has it in prison, they still have life.
    G-Dawg, your sig says it all....

The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed
    Its fat boys time to pay.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links