This one should be interesting...

This is a discussion on This one should be interesting... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; At the time of the shooting Whitton claimed that he felt threatened by Butcher. Whitton was in his car. Butcher was on a golf cart. ...

Thread: This one should be interesting...

This one should be interesting...

At the time of the shooting Whitton claimed that he felt threatened by Butcher. Whitton was in his car. Butcher was on a golf cart. (Tellico Village is a fairly upscale retirement community on the lake)

This shooting took place two years before the Zimmerman incident and is just now coming to trial.

Jury begins hearing evidence in Tellico Village killing Knoxville News Sentinel
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    At the time of the shooting Whitton claimed that he felt threatened by Butcher. Whitton was in his car. Butcher was on a golf cart. (Tellico Village is a fairly upscale retirement community on the lake)

This shooting took place two years before the Zimmerman incident and is just now coming to trial.

Jury begins hearing evidence in Tellico Village killing Knoxville News Sentinel
    I believe, if I remember correctly, Florida's SYG does allow for defense if someone tries to enter your vehicle and they're not authorized to.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I believe, if I remember correctly, Florida's SYG does allow for defense if someone tries to enter your vehicle and they're not authorized to.
    Could be. This took place in Tennessee. I don't think his self defense claim will fly here.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Could be. This took place in Tennessee. I don't think his self defense claim will fly here.
    I am a massive failure today, I'm jumping around from thing to thing and crossing my wires, urgh!

A self-defense claim could be made in Tennessee. The law, passed in 2007, allows for stand your ground though the definition of vehicle may be hard to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    A self-defense claim could be made in Tennessee. The law, passed in 2007, allows for stand your ground though the definition of vehicle may be hard to overcome.
    While the law allows for "stand your ground", it's going to be difficult for the defense to argue that their client, while seated in an automobile, felt that his life was endangered by an unarmed individual on a golf cart.

Apparently, the jury agreed that he acted in self defense.

Tellico Village man acquitted in fatal 2010 shooting Knoxville News Sentinel

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The "reasonable person" concept at work?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The "reasonable person" concept at work?
    Possibly. The deputy who responded to the shooting testified that he didn't believe Whitton's story. I assumed that testimony would sink the case for self defense, but apparently not. One thing that's interesting is that this case took over two years to finally get to trial. Time usually works in your favor if you're on trial. Witnesses move or die, police officers retire or leave the force, and memories fade.

Links