UGLY: Avoidable Hunting Accident

UGLY: Avoidable Hunting Accident

This is a discussion on UGLY: Avoidable Hunting Accident within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My first thought is this was completely avoidable had some common sense gun safety techniques been practiced. My second thought was: Doesn't my backward State ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By suntzu
  • 3 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By tokerblue

Thread: UGLY: Avoidable Hunting Accident

Exclamation UGLY: Avoidable Hunting Accident

My first thought is this was completely avoidable had some common sense gun safety techniques been practiced. My second thought was: Doesn't my backward State require hunter's safety courses prior to obtaining hunting licenses? Yes it does. How did this happen? Just goes to show that you can't legislate responsible behavior or common sense.

Calif. hunter slips, accidentally kills companion - Updates - fresnobee.com

The Associated Press

Tuesday, Sep. 18, 2012 | 02:47 PM

BAKERSFIELD -- Kern County Sheriff's homicide detectives are investigating a hunting accident that killed a Clovis man who was hunting squirrels and other vermin.

On Saturday 27-year-old Ker Her of Clovis was killed near Lake Isabella when his hunting companion slipped and fell. The Bakersfield Californian reports (Details slowly emerge in hunting death; outdoors community ... - BakersfieldCalifornian.com ) that the man's finger was on the trigger, and when he hit the ground the rifle fired.

The name of the shooter has not been released.

The California Department of Fish and Game reports there were two fatal hunting accidents in 2010, the last year that statistics are available. One case was the fault of the shooter, and in the other the victim moved into the line of fire.

An autopsy on the recent victim was scheduled for Tuesday.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

that the man's finger was on the trigger, and when he hit the ground the rifle fired.
    Yes it does. But before we go out condemning someone it is plausible that as he fell his finger was off the trigger and a reaction to reach for something caused him or something to squeeze the trigger. I don't see enough info yet to rake this man over the coals.
    oneshot likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member
    There's a few every year unfortunately. I'm always selective....very selective about who I go out in the field with. Sorry, I ended a sentence with a preposition.
    hogdaddy, oneshot and 7mm Gumbo like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Not any different then when a person has an automobile accident. Stuff happens, even with the best of training.

Michael

VIP Member
    A Father's Advice

If a sportsman true you’d be
    Listen carefully to me. . .

Never, never let your gun
    Pointed be at anyone.
    That it may unloaded be
    Matters not the least to me.

When a hedge or fence you cross
    Though of time it cause a loss
    From your gun the cartridge take
    For the greater safety’s sake.

If twixt you and neighboring gun
    Bird shall fly or beast may run
    Let this maxim ere be thine
    "Follow not across the line."

Stops and beaters oft unseen
    Lurk behind some leafy screen.
    Calm and steady always be
    "Never shoot where you can’t see."

You may kill or you may miss
    But at all times think this:
    "All the pheasants ever bred
    Won’t repay for one man dead."

"Early Instruction"
    By Carl Kauba
    c. 1902

Written by Mark Beaufoy of Coombe House, Shaftesbury, Dorset, England, in 1902, on presenting his eldest son, Henry Mark, with his first gun. Reproduced here by permission of the author’s granddaughter, Mrs. P. M. Guild.
    Ruger - A Father's Advice

Hopefully the shooter wasn't carrying on a secret love affair with the deceased guys wife/GF.

Hopefully this Goomba was actually dumb enough to stumble around the hill and dale with his safety off, and actually tripped and the firearm accidentally went off after he somehow had his booger hook on the bang switch.

What a mess.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Hopefully the shooter wasn't carrying on a secret love affair with the deceased guys wife/GF.
    My thoughts exactly.

A very similar incident occurred in my state except it was a husband & wife hunting together. The 'tragic accident' turned into a premeditated murder charge against the wife when further investigation revealed a point blank shot had been leveled at the back of the husband's head. She's in the penitentiary now.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Very sad.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

There aren't enough details, but unless he was about to take a shot, why not have the safety on?
    dukalmighty likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

There aren't enough details, but unless he was about to take a shot, why not have the safety on?
    They may call them accidents,but in reality it is usually negligence,walking around with the safety off and finger on the trigger is bad juju,I've fallen while carrying a gun,and my first reaction is muzzle control,I am never amazed at the lack of finger discipline at a gun range,and it's been my experience just because you have a slip of paper from a safety course doesn't mean you are safe.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links