Good?: Bar/gun range. gun range/bar?

This is a discussion on Good?: Bar/gun range. gun range/bar? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by keboostman Absurd. Liquor and guns don't mix. Intoxication/impairment and guns surely don't. But as citizens in many states have shown via their ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Good?: Bar/gun range. gun range/bar?

Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    Absurd. Liquor and guns don't mix.
    Intoxication/impairment and guns surely don't. But as citizens in many states have shown via their statutes, imbibing can coexist safely.

Little different than, say, the arguments against schools and guns ... or children and guns.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    The range I go to has a clubhouse with a bar. They serve only beer. There never seems to be a problem with intoxicated shooters. Common sense needs to be used with everything. The bar is only open to people who have already shot. They cannot shoot after they drink.
    My turn to speak for the anti's:I think the issue with guns in bars is not that you will go to the range after and shoot. The fear is that you are drinking while carrying a gun and tempers can flare over something stupid like a football game or politics and someone will get shot.
    Arborigine and Ionracas like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    I'm glad to read they prohibit you from the gun range once youve had a drink. I wonder how they evaluate someones sobriety, right off the street, who arrives already tanked up?

That idea doesn't boost my safety thoughts anymore than a combo lounge/driving school or lounge/surgery center.
    suntzu and Glhadiator like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I don't really care about the bar...just think their risk mitigation plan is a CYA and totally useless.
    Ionracas and WHEC724 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't really care about the bar...just think their risk mitigation plan is a CYA and totally useless.
    Even if patrons secure their gun in their vehicle before drinking, they are still in possesion of a firearm and have been drinking. Again Im not sure what the state laws are. If a patron of a standalone bare chooses to carry and drink, its on them. In this case I could see some accidents swinging against the range come court time. Afterall, it was McDinalds fault some old lady spilled HOT coffee all over her absorbant pants.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Even if they work out a fool proof safety plan this just sounds bad.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    With the restriction on anyone entering or re-entering the range after getting a bump, I'm not sure that I see a problem here. It's a unique concept for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Even if patrons secure their gun in their vehicle before drinking, they are still in possesion of a firearm and have been drinking. Again Im not sure what the state laws are. If a patron of a standalone bare chooses to carry and drink, its on them. In this case I could see some accidents swinging against the range come court time. Afterall, it was McDinalds fault some old lady spilled HOT coffee all over her absorbant pants.
    Does storage equal possession? Also, If storing a firearm in your vehicle without a permit is legal and you maintain adequate sobriety to legally drive, what's the gripe?
    rigel42 likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Not my scene. I try to stay away from guns when I drink. Yeah, the range has a system that precludes lane usage after drinking. But still....

(this from a guy that drinks about two beers a week max)

Its not that crazy. My friends and I have "Shoot & Hoot" nights. A visit to the gun range, then lock the weapons and enjoy wings & beer at Hooters. We never get "Plastered" and in the 11 years or so we have all of zero issues. It can't be that rare for friends to enjoy a cold beer after a trip to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    With the restriction on anyone entering or re-entering the range after getting a bump, I'm not sure that I see a problem here. It's a unique concept for sure.

Does storage equal possession? Also, If storing a firearm in your vehicle without a permit is legal and you maintain adequate sobriety to legally drive, what's the gripe?
    Perhaps you're right. But thats assuming that people adequatley secure their gun and dont get drunk. It would be foolish to think everyone is responsible. If someone is going to break the law they will do it but not everyone who gets drunk sets out to do so.

Although, I guess if a gun range and bar were two seperate businesses next to eachother, none of us would be scratching our heads. It just dosnt seem like a good thing being done this way. More fuel for the fire against the image of our cummunity.
    Last edited by Ionracas; September 21st, 2012 at 04:01 AM.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I would hope they have a very strict protocol regarding the order in which their services are allowed to be utilized. Furthermore, I would be surprised if they could even obtain liability insurance under those circumstances.
    What about making all guests sign a liability waiver. Im going to a place next wednesday thats got a trap range and then dinner at a bar & grill. Shoot first, eat later i believe. Their website has the liability waiver form for download.
    Ionracas likes this.

I bet Wyatt Earp didn't drink when he was packing....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Do what you want. They may make a lot of money but I will be giving this idea wide berth. For me this falls under the three S rule.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Why not sell fine tobacco products too? I mean, if your gonna go for it, go all the way. They could even set aside a night where ATF agents get to shoot and drink for free.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Because dumb boyfreinds with little knowledge on guns or safety who bring their ditzy girlfreinds to the range and sweep everyone with loaded guns isnt enough? Now lets get them all drunk since most of the ones I mentioned are in that partying age group.

The range I am loyal to has a resturaunt with great food. That was an awesome idea. This? Insane.

What are Georgias laws on alcohol consumption and carrying? Anyone? Bueller?
    What exactly is the age of the "party age group" you speak of? Just curious since people of all ages party more than they probably should..
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links