Georgia gun range given permit to serve alcohol.

This is a discussion on Georgia gun range given permit to serve alcohol. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't golf, but I do know a few that do. Seems like AFTER their game, they go to the club bar and have a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Georgia gun range given permit to serve alcohol.

I don't golf, but I do know a few that do. Seems like AFTER their game, they go to the club bar and have a couple while chatting about their games and socializing. Nothing wrong with that if AFTER the range shooting, they socialize over a couple of drinks.

I do think that it should not be before and during the weapons use or drinking to excess. IMO
    goldshellback likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I don't golf, but I do know a few that do. Seems like AFTER their game, they go to the club bar and have a couple while chatting about their games and socializing. Nothing wrong with that if AFTER the range shooting, they socialize over a couple of drinks.

I do think that it should not be before and during the weapons use or drinking to excess. IMO
    Just curious...if you are not comfy with them shooting in a relatively controlled environment like a range after a couple of drinks, would you think they are OK to be carrying with the same two drinks after they leave the range?
    hienykins likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Pantie wetters! I like that. Man, how many of you didn't check the link where it said once a drink is ordered, they're no longer allowed on the range?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Just curious...if you are not comfy with them shooting in a relatively controlled environment like a range after a couple of drinks, would you think they are OK to be carrying with the same two drinks after they leave the range?
    My "comfort" has nothing to do with it. I was thinking of the range's liability. As far as anyone carrying after having a couple of drinks....that is their choice. I see nothing wrong with it, but anyone drinking to access doesn't need to be armed, but again...that is their choice.
    Glhadiator likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Pantie wetters! I like that. Man, how many of you didn't check the link where it said once a drink is ordered, they're no longer allowed on the range?
    You wouldn't be calling other posters names would you? That is not only rude, but against forum rules.

I didn't read the article, but they are doing what I said would be responsible, so I guess I am not one of the "Pantie Wetters". As I corrected suntzu, my only concern would be if drinking and then range time the range could have a liability issue. If a accident happened and a person had a drink before...it could work against them (even if the same accident happened with no one drinking).
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    So what? As long as there are no incidents. We shall see in the months ahead.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I swear to god some of you guys are as big of pantie wetters as the liberals; you act like they'll have waitresses bringing beer out to the firing line
    Doesn't change the fact they are knowingly serving alcohol to folks with firearms. Even if they go and stash their firearms in their car,...they still have to get back to their car to get home. Not to mention the possibility of driving unsafe do too many drinks (which is a whole 'nother can of worms.)

Doesn't seem wise.

The FIRST time some guy goes and shoots, then grabs a couple beers that turn into 1 too many and has an incident,...its a field day just waiting for the anti's to use against the pro 2a community.

Thats JMO.

I'm fine with you calling folks who feel the same as me, sexist names as much as you want. I'm pro-firearms and citizens carrying, and do not think any good can come from this mix. I truly hope I am proved wrong by a lack of incidents.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I think I have mixed feelings about this. I think obviously at a glance this seems like a stupid idea. Then I realized that I had two beers with a buddy of mine today after work and I am laying on my couch now having a bourbon and coke and my Springfield xds is on the coffee table right beside me. Whats the difference? If this is so irresponsible then what do the rest of you guys on here who like have a drink after a long day at work do with your guns while you are drinking.
    Spirit51 likes this.

I have no problems with the shoot first, drink after idea. My only concern is when they leave the facility. One must be extra vigilant about not handling firearms after drinking (ie. unloading at home/cleaning). If I have a beer after shooting, the guns stay in the case and go right into the safe until the next day.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

This seems like the over all matter is drinking and having a weapon for self defense.

I can only speak for myself. If I am going to have a drink with dinner or a Irish coffee after....I have no problem being armed.

If I am going to a party and expect to have more than two...my gun stays home (I still keep my OC spray in my purse).

My days of access drinking have long sailed. After two or three drinks at a party where I stay 3-4 hours...I am ready to go home and nap. I do it about twice a year. That is how I roll. Everyone should know their own limits. It is not mine to judge.
    Glhadiator likes this.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

Well let's just shut down all the bars b/c some irresponsible person might drive home drunk from said bars. There are states that have set the bar for carrying equal to the bar for driving when it comes to alcohol.

Why is it routinely argued around here that everyone, except felons, should have the right to bear arms b/c it is assumed that the common person is responsible enough to do so, even with all the availability of alcohol at the store, while carrying; at home, while carrying; in town next to bars, while carrying; and now b/c it's in one more place these responsible people will suddenly become irresponsible b/c alcohol is merely available? People will either be responsible or they won't be, simple as that.

I believe skeet ranges have been serving beer for decades (I know of at least 2), what's the problem?
    Spirit51 and Glhadiator like this.

"I hope you're smart enough to know that 'WHO-HIT-JOHN' don't go with guns"...J. B. Books, 1901

Well, I'm siding with Spirit and F350 here. As I read it, after your served a drink, you 're not shooting no mo. It seems they're making it a 'country-club' type athmospere and if handeled responsibly, then Bravo Zulu. Heck, I'd like to go just to see it.... and pass my own judgement. It definatly 'sounds' like they have their act together and I'll bet a coke they had to convince the city and/or county goverment of that BEFORE they got their license to serve.

As for booze and guns, they generally just don't mix. Having said that, I've had a beer while carrying...... on more than one occosion, legaly. I was just fine. I know my limits and I adhere to them. If I know I'm gonna be drinking, especially more than 'a couple', well, that means no gun. If I have a nip of Balieys with my morning coffee before I go heeled, I'm just fine there as well.
    After a 'range-day' with a couple of buddies there's nothing like having a firearm-cleaning 'after-party' with a couple of beers. Safety is paramount with me and mine and I don't share my time with stupid. We all know each other and we know right from wrong.

Big boy and big girl rules apply.

I also see the other side of this as well and the potential for this to go terribly wrong for this club is there alright. They do it right, it's a good deal. They mess this up and and it's Brady-Bunch-hell for them.
    Last edited by goldshellback; September 25th, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So what's wrong with a drink when the shooting day's done?The bigger problem I see is the homeowners who build next to a gun range and then complain, like buying a house by the airport and complaining about noisy airplanes. The alcohol is going to be the least of the range's issues.
    Just to clarify; the Gun range is building next to the existing neighborhood.As for the GR policy itself. The way I understand the policy. Once a patron buys a alcoholic drink they are flagged and not allowed on the range for the day. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it, the gun range is being presented as a "Gun Club" that is open to the general public, instead of your run of the mill gun range..

I think this neighborhood would have a problem regardless of what went up on the space. Clear issue where zoning ends and begins between neighborhoods and a business.

It's understandable how everyone's first reaction to the idea, but they serve alcohol at the golf range even at Tee off.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    Gun club to allow alcohol sales | www.wsbtv.com

Makes me wonder. Is smoking also going to be allowed? It would be like Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms minus all the red tape.
    I realize that both a gun range and, say, a sports bar, can coexist...but this is a bad impression. Don't market yourself as a gun range if you're going to serve alcohol, market yourself as some kind of gentlemen's club.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links