Another "accidental" discharge

This is a discussion on Another "accidental" discharge within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's amazing how these pesky guns keep discharging all by themselves. Flight attendant's gun goes off at airport security in Philadelphia - Overhead Bin...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By 8th ID
  • 1 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 1 Post By Gene83
  • 1 Post By nedrgr21

Thread: Another "accidental" discharge

Another "accidental" discharge

It's amazing how these pesky guns keep discharging all by themselves.

Flight attendant's gun goes off at airport security in Philadelphia - Overhead Bin
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

Sounds to me like the LE pulled the trigger. Simple.
    BenGoodLuck and msgt/ret like this.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Quote Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
    Sounds to me like the LE pulled the trigger. Simple.
    My thinking also, but it's almost never reported that way.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Guns don't accidentally discharge by themselves and SUVs don't accidentally drive into a group of pedestrians by themselves. What is wrong with reporters that they can't bring themselves to ever assign blame to the individual? We are so conditioned to blaming inanimate objects that most people don't even give these headlines and articles a second thought or use any critical thinking.

I also roll my eyes when I read about someone dying because the gun they were cleaning "accidentally discharged". Even assuming that a person hasn't checked a gun to see if it's loaded, how the heck are they cleaning it - with the muzzle pointed at their head and their finger on the trigger? These stories are clearly about suicides, but the person is never blamed; the gun accidentally discharged.

By the way, this post accidentally typed itself.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    How does one forget you have your gun? I know when and when not to carry my gun ( for that matter where is at all times).
    I also know that you can clear a chamber by pulling the trigger but that is not the best way in most cases.

Yes to ^^^^^^^^^^^^

If your checking a weapon to see if it's loaded, You ought to KNOW WHAT THE HECK you are doing OMO ; ) PS Mr B W & I posted the same time
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    How does one forget you have your gun? I know when and when not to carry my gun ( for that matter where is at all times).
    I also know that you can clear a chamber by pulling the trigger but that is not the best way in most cases.
    "I forgot it was in there" sounds better than "I thought I could sneak it through the checkpoint and carry a gun to work".
    msgt/ret likes this.

I made an oopsie

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Guns don't accidentally discharge by themselves and SUVs don't accidentally drive into a group of pedestrians by themselves. What is wrong with reporters that they can't bring themselves to ever assign blame to the individual? We are so conditioned to blaming inanimate objects that most people don't even give these headlines and articles a second thought or use any critical thinking.

I also roll my eyes when I read about someone dying because the gun they were cleaning "accidentally discharged". Even assuming that a person hasn't checked a gun to see if it's loaded, how the heck are they cleaning it - with the muzzle pointed at their head and their finger on the trigger? These stories are clearly about suicides, but the person is never blamed; the gun accidentally discharged.

By the way, this post accidentally typed itself.
    Both cases in your post that I highlighted would be correctly be defined as an accident if they were unintended. Unless you are trying to say that they were intentional. If so is there proof that it was intentional? Most, if not all accidents, have a reason for happening. It does not change the fact they they were accidents. Nor does the fact that it was an accident remove responsibility or blame from whomever was responsible for the unintended act.
    accident:
    1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.

2. Law . such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.

3. any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.

4. chance; fortune; luck: I was there by accident.

5. a fortuitous circumstance, quality, or characteristic: an accident of birth.
    The fact that there is a reason something happened does not necessary mean that it was intentional. Why does everyone want to change the meaning of words instead of accepting the common universally known and accepted definition of the word? Sure makes it hard to communicate if everyone is using their own special language.

Michael

VIP Member
    Makes you wonder about your safety on these airlines? What kind of people do they hire? Are these the kind of people that can make a decision regarding life and death?

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Just read this. Accidently Discharged.
    Right. Good thing no one was hurt

The LA Times did a better job on the headline and the story.

Airport error: Officer trying to unload gun accidentally fires it

In a case of how not to do your job, a flight attendant forgot she had a loaded gun in her handbag when she passed through security at Philadelphia International Airport, and a police officer then accidentally fired the weapon while trying to unload it.

...The police officer was temporarily taken off patrol duty.

"She will go back to training for handling weapons," police spokesman Lt. Ray Evers said, according to the Inquirer. "She will be off the streets for a period of time."

Read the whole article here: Police officer accidentally fires gun at Philadelphia airport - latimes.com

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    A finger on the trigger is no accident. Good job, Barney Fife.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Another source about the same story with a few new details:

A flight attendant with a permit to carry a handgun forgot to leave her weapon at home Sunday morning, leading to the accidental discharge of the gun by a police officer at Philadelphia International Airport.
    The flight attendant, who is an employee of Republic Airlines, which operates US Airways Express flights out of Philadelphia, put her handbag on the X-ray machine conveyor belt as she went through the routine security check about 6:30 a.m. at Terminal C, said Jim Fotenos, spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration.
    TSA officers noticed the gun and alerted Philadelphia police officers, who responded quickly, police spokesman Lt. Ray Evers said.
    A female police officer, whom the department declined to name, tried to make the weapon safe by removing the bullets but instead accidentally fired it, Evers said. The bullet that was discharged hit the ground and did not injure anyone.

Source: Claudia Vargas for Philly.com.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Both cases in your post that I highlighted would be correctly be defined as an accident if they were unintended. Unless you are trying to say that they were intentional. If so is there proof that it was intentional? Why does everyone want to change the meaning of words instead of accepting the common universally known and accepted definition of the word? Sure makes it hard to communicate if everyone is using their own special language.

Michael
    No one wants to change the meaning of words; it's a case of encouraging the use of a more appropriately descriptive word. The vast majority of these actions are the result of negligence, as in negligent discharge. Negligent being "failing to take proper care in doing something" - still no intent involved. Using the more descriptive word is more accurate, but in today's PC society a word like "negligent" has a more negative connotation (which in this case also happens to be more accurate) than "accident" and God forbid we make someone feel bad about themselves when they screw up and jeopardize the lives of others in an effort to make a very lasting impression on them so that lesson don't have to be taught and retaught. Unloading a gun with your finger on the trigger is not an accident, it is negligent handling of a firearm. Running a vehicle into/over something/someone because you were texting while driving isn't an accident, it is negligent driving. Wrecking a car after hitting a patch of black ice is an accident.

Teachers should bring back "word of the day".
    msgt/ret likes this.

It's a combination of the "fingers resting spot locator" and the darn "one pound trigger's fault".
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Links