Good: reluctant gun owner saves herself

This is a discussion on Good: reluctant gun owner saves herself within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; She (according to the "news anchor") was reluctant to purchase a gun, but did anyway... "Here we go" got her gun, and called 911... Intruder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Good: reluctant gun owner saves herself

She (according to the "news anchor") was reluctant to purchase a gun, but did anyway... "Here we go" got her gun, and called 911... Intruder tried some sort of spray... she shot at him...

Here's the story
    ArmyMan and BurgerBoy like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Too bad she didn't have a dead body for the coroner to pick up.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Besides being victimized, the mental affects will stick with her for a looooong time. I hope others follow her advice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Doesn't sound like she ever fired that gun before she had to use it,trying to hit a man sized target during a high stress situation and never fired a gun in your life IMHO is stupid.I'll bet they can find every round she fired in the walls of her bedroom,some could even be in the floor and ceiling
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My sister had her home broken into when she was in grad school. Nobody was home but the guy went through her entire dresser of clothes and stole whatever he could find including some underwear. She said she threw everything away and started over again. It haunted her for a long time. I can't imagine having to go through what this lady went through.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Doesn't sound like she ever fired that gun before she had to use it,trying to hit a man sized target during a high stress situation and never fired a gun in your life IMHO is stupid.I'll bet they can find every round she fired in the walls of her bedroom,some could even be in the floor and ceiling
    I wondered that too - she said she bought it, never thinking she'd need to use it.

When I bought mine, I HOPED I'd never have to use it but I made my peace with "I MAY have to" before the purchase. Since then, I've hit the range on a regular basis. If I'm gonna have one, I'm darn sure gonna know how to use it!

Good for her, that it worked out.
    MrsHB, WHEC724 and Spirit51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    True enough.... but, it served the purpose.

Should she have had some training..? yes...
    Could it have gone very bad for her? Yes.
    A little Spackle and some paint, and it all goes away...
    A sexual assault on top of a robbery? Not so much.

She did good. She was as prepared as she could be... If she had bought the gun yesterday, with all the plans to get training with it next weekend, should she have left it in the box?

My bet... at least my hope, is that someone in the community of trainers will make some effort to contact this woman (thru the reporters that reported it if no other way) and offer some training, gratis... I would.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I bet she'll be putting in some range time in the near future. It's too bad the BG didn't get the hot lead and handcff effect, it might've changed his career choices.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    When I bought mine, I HOPED I'd never have to use it but I made my peace with "I MAY have to" before the purchase. Since then, I've hit the range on a regular basis. If I'm gonna have one, I'm darn sure gonna know how to use it!
    Excellent way to approach this responsibility. I hope all women (and men for that matter) have the same outlook. You gave this Nana a smile. Thank you.
    Lish and BurgerBoy like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

More range time and she's "good to go" , then maybe she won't miss next time.
    Obviously she's happy with her purchase decision now.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Once again, the legal use of a firearm prevented a violent crime against a percieved hapless victim.

Of course the anti gun folks will do their best to twist it and make the gun wielding person into the criminal and not a victim.

Her statement that she never imagined in a million years she would use it sums up what most of who own firearms wish. We don't ever want to use one to thwart a crime or to kill someone committing a crime.

She also states "what would have happend if I didn't have it?" We all know the answer to that, she would have been assaulted, possibly raped or worst of all, killed by the intruder.

She did all the right stuff, and even though the perpetrator got away, his days are numbered. The next occupied home he busts into may have someone who knows how to shoot and give him "retirement" from his occupation.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

With a BG in your home, your first goal should be to get them to leave the house. She fired her weapon and he left...mission accomplished. That's why there's a pump shotgun in our bedroom. The sound of a round being racked should be enough to scare anyone into running. If not, they deserve what happens next.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    With a BG in your home, your first goal should be to get them to leave the house. She fired her weapon and he left...mission accomplished. That's why there's a pump shotgun in our bedroom. The sound of a round being racked should be enough to scare anyone into running. If not, they deserve what happens next.
    If it's a crack head... he'll never hear the racking sound... or, if he's desperate enough, won't care.... Besides, why waste the one in the chamber to rack another? You do have one in the chamber, right?

Just some food for thought.... I used to think that, too. Sarah Connor racking it one handed in The Terminator was the greatest.... But I'm sorry... when the machines come or the zombies or the hordes of brigands after the collapse... I'm gonna have one in the chamber... Until I got no more to have there.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Two women, two different outcomes. See this thread for the results when a woman is prevented from defending herself (BAD: Woman raped in Manhattan). At least the 'reluctant gun owner' had a gun to stop the BG. I'm sure she'll have nightmares, but imagine the nightmares that the woman in New York will be having.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    My bet... at least my hope, is that someone in the community of trainers will make some effort to contact this woman (thru the reporters that reported it if no other way) and offer some training, gratis... I would.
    It appears in the comments below the story that a local instructor offered that very thing..........

The victim said after living in that home for eight years, she doesn’t feel safe anymore
    I can't hardly stand hearing that "..feeling safe" comment. It's a farce and this was a releativly cheap lesson learned for our victim. Anytime, anywhere is what I read here somewhere, and it's a simple truth. I hope she recovers from this and shores herself up with some trigger time and a good concealed carry class.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links