Police gun down 83-year-old woman responding to 911 call she dialed

This is a discussion on Police gun down 83-year-old woman responding to 911 call she dialed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm gonna get nailed for this I know, but, what ever happened to, KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR TARGET IS BEFORE YOU SHOOT! Very sad situation....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Police gun down 83-year-old woman responding to 911 call she dialed

I'm gonna get nailed for this I know, but, what ever happened to, KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR TARGET IS BEFORE YOU SHOOT! Very sad situation.
    lizjimbo, JayTee and mr.stuart like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

This is to sad but I would not jump on the officer yet. I would focus on passing the message on to people to barricade themselves and family and have the phone handy with the 911 operator giving description of yourself until all is safe. We are getting to many friendly fires happening so that this needs to be prevented.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    The two responding officers claim that they fired Towler after she refused to put her weapon down. The woman reportedly did not have her glasses on or hearing aid in at the time.
    The police statement also alleges that Towler pointed her gun at the officers a point her son Robert Barbour does not buy.
    I don't know. I think the officers maybe right on this call. A women that more than likely did not hear the officers orders AND couldn't id the officers due to her not having her glasses on more than likely pointed her gun at the officers. On top of that, hearing the shots go off. Hard call to make. Glad that I didnt have to make it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I read the story and I don't believe a word of it. Sounds to much like the thin blue line at work here. What the hell would happen if everybody that was armed just started killing people that had a gun in their hands. I think it was an impulsive untrained cop that got a wee bit scared and just started pulling the trigger. An 83 year old woman...come on! Sure they heard a gunshot but do the cops shoot first and then sort it out. There was a cop just indicted for 2nd degree murder in Virginia for pumping a buncha rounds into a 53 year old school teacher under the color of authority. Cops don't have the most dangerous job in the world...night shift clerks at convenience stores and cab drivers do but they aren't shooting everybody that walks through the door either.
    JayTee likes this.

Very sad for all involved.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    I read the story and I don't believe a word of it. Sounds to much like the thin blue line at work here.

Sure they heard a gunshot but do the cops shoot first and then sort it out.
    Could be. Agreed, that both the responding LE and the residents have joint responsibility to help ensure a situation comes out right. Nobody has the right to simply come out blasting, shooting first and asking questions later. If it's found to have occurred that way, then those responsible should surely be held accountable for those actions.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Again, the stars lined up perfectly for this tradegy to happen. If one small variable had changed, all of this would not have happened. Many lives are ruined
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Without her hearing aid or glasses why did she think there was a prowler?

It makes me very sad that she was shot. BUT I don't think if I called police I would leave the safety of whatever room I was in if I thought there was someone in my house. (Unless the BG is coming through the door to that room, then I may go out the window or something) Otherwise I'm going to have my gun ready, stay on the phone with 911 and when they say "m'am, the officers have arrived" I can say where I'm at and make sure I'm not mistaken for the BG. Walking around outside in the dark when deputies arrive isn't where I want to be, especially if I can't hear them identify themselves! Very sad, but unfortunetly by the info available, it was avoidable.

I'm with Lish on how did she know there was a prowler w/o her sense of sight or hearing. She obviously didn't hear well enough to follow the officer's commands that were presumably yelled, how did she hear someone sneaking around.

She irresponsibly shot at "nothing" - firing a shot out the window, endangering her neighbors and police.

Now she's outside, with a gun, half blind and deaf, not responding to commands and could easily mistake the police for the supposed prowler and try to shoot them.

If she was that unaware of how things work and the world around her (beginning signs of dementia), maybe her son should've taken her gun away and she would still be alive today.

Blanket assumptions about disabled and elderly people really need to stop - they can still end the lives of others.
    tacman605 likes this.

"Mom ain't gonna hurt no police officer or nobody else. She was a good Christian woman and she wouldn't hurt a soul," Barbour said.
    Yet she is shooting out of windows at night without her glasses on. I was going to rip into the family for allowing her to keep a weapon in the house. This is a person who is voluntarily visually impared (didn't put her glasses on) and hearing impared (didn't put her hearing aid on) and thought that with those imparements, and the police on the way, it was a good idea to go outside at night with a gun in her hand.

My first thought was Alzheimers or dementia setting in but after reading the family's comments I am now just thinking delayed Darwinism.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Things like this can and do happen, I feel badly for all parties involved, but that's the chance a person takes when they come armed face to face with Police who are armed as well.

We had a shooting in Huntington several years ago. Bunch of thugs decided to fight, girlfriend goes and gets a gun from her car for boyfriend and the OK Corral happens.

Cops get called, it's dark, after midnight and one Officer went to the alley behind the Club Babylon where the stuff was happening. A black guy exits via the back door and has a firearm in his hand. He pointed it at the Police Officer and got shot and died. He wasn't even involved in the shooting but the Cop didn't know that at all.

Long story short, the dead guy's relatives sued the City of Huntington and the Officer for killing the guy. The Jury accquited the Officer.

Your a cop, you roll up to a situation where guns may be involved, yes, someone can get hurt or killed.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I'm with Lish on how did she know there was a prowler w/o her sense of sight or hearing. She obviously didn't hear well enough to follow the officer's commands that were presumably yelled, how did she hear someone sneaking around.She irresponsibly shot at "nothing" - firing a shot out the window, endangering her neighbors and police.Now she's outside, with a gun, half blind and deaf, not responding to commands and could easily mistake the police for the supposed prowler and try to shoot them. If she was that unaware of how things work and the world around her (beginning signs of dementia), maybe her son should've taken her gun away and she would still be alive today.Blanket assumptions about disabled and elderly people really need to stop - they can still end the lives of others.
    She made some mistakes for sure, none of which should she have paid for with her life.. A little compassion for the deceased should be in order IMO. Also my opinion, I think she showed more courage than some dudes I know. From what I read she was trying to walk to her daughters house with her gun for protection when the LEO'S happened upon her in her own back yard...

Can old folks kill ya, absolutely. Would she have shot one of the LEO's, well I guess we'll never know will we as they shot first. I'm not down on the LEO's, I just think it sucks that a lady that lived for 83 years on this earth had to go out like that.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I'm sorry for the loss the family must endure and this was horribly tragic but the woman made poor decisions that led to her own demise.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    ....A little compassion for the deceased should be in order IMO...I'm not down on the LEO's, I just think it sucks that a lady that lived for 83 years on this earth had to go out like that.
    Totally. I don't even know this woman but I feel heartbroken.

I just can't see how the officers had no other choice than to gun this little old lady down.

I've felt for a while now that there's something very important lacking in today's law enforcement (and people in general for that matter) and its called COMMON SENSE.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    Totally. I don't even know this woman but I feel heartbroken.

I just can't see how the officers had no other choice than to gun this little old lady down.

I've felt for a while now that there's something very important lacking in today's law enforcement (and people in general for that matter) and its called COMMON SENSE.
    Common sense... When that sweet teenage girl walks into the market with the detonator in her hand...

When little ol' ladies shoot at cops during a traffic stop at night.

When old duffers slide an M1 from behind the seat of their pick' em up truck and shoot a young deputy...and you can hear the young man's death rattle over the radio...

It's tragic, but there ain't no sense, common or otherwise, much any more...
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links