Police gun down 83-year-old woman responding to 911 call she dialed

This is a discussion on Police gun down 83-year-old woman responding to 911 call she dialed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; May we all learn from this tragic occurrence. Police gun down 83-year-old woman responding to 911 call she dialed - NY Daily News...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Police gun down 83-year-old woman responding to 911 call she dialed

Welcome to my home, that door you just kicked in, was locked for your protection, not mine.

It seems similar to the thread about the guy with dementia. Almost everybody in that thread said good shoot. Government officials rolling around and killing people on their own property seems like a problem to me.

Tragic, yes.

Avoidable, yes.

She did not have her glasses or hearing aid on when shot... But she thought they were prowlers. But she may not have heard, understood, or seen who she was pointing her gun at....

The police were, unfortunately (IMO), justified.

Lots of lessons to be learned here.... STAY ON THE PHONE with 911... Identify yourself and tell 911 about your movements if any... No warning shots. Out windows, into the ground, it doesn't matter... all your lead should be headed towards known BGs.

A tragedy to be sure... she was armed to protect herself... but didn't handle the responsibility completely surrounding using a firearm to do so. It cost her her life...

And it will cost her children "every penny".... to win a settlement if they do.

Government officials rolling around and killing people on their own property seems like a problem to me.
    In the dark, on a call TO that property for a possible prowler... unknown person in yard with gun... Do you think these government officials were "rolling around" knowing they were gonna kill some homeowner that night and be justified in doing so? How were they supposed to get positive ID? All she had to do was put down her gun.... not point it at them...
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    It is possible to do everything right in a self-defense situation and still wind up dead. Toss a mistake or two in for good measure, and that possibility is magnified accordingly. Tragic for all involved, as well as their loved ones.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Again, sometimes you have protect people from themselves.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    It seems similar to the thread about the guy with dementia. Almost everybody in that thread said good shoot. Government officials rolling around and killing people on their own property seems like a problem to me.
    Hardly. When an unidentified man points a gun at a police officer and ignores commands to put the weapon down, the police are justified in using deadly force to defend themselves.
    nedrgr21 and Secret Spuk like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Sad, that's all I can come up with... One person knows her side, but that person is dead.

You get a call burglary in progress,as you approach you hear a gun shot,as you take cover you see somebody leave the residence and they have a gun,you yell out and light them up with a flashlight,they point the gun at you,somebody is gonna make sure they go home after their shift in this scenario.

I see one huge major problem,she bought a gun but had never fired it,and had absolutely no training in how to handle a situation like she was now involved in.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    How do you know she never fired it and had no training?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

83 yrs old woman calls 911 and gets plugged - cops need better, stronger, flashlights
    mr.stuart likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    How do you know she never fired it and had no training?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Well, it says that almost verbatim in the article.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Government officials rolling around and killing people on their own property seems like a problem to me.
    If a person's going to call for LE to arrive specifically to catch a burglar/criminal, then it behooves a person to NOT be walking around outside with a handgun in plain view. There are appropriate, common-sense ways to receive LE into the area ... and then there's the way this lady apparently chose.

Of course, it's unclear what (if anything) the resident did to appear as the GG, and what (if anything) LE did to attempt to disarm the resident short of firing upon her.

Lesson for all of us, in such situations: if you're going to do a great imitation of an armed criminal while LE's arriving to capture an armed criminal, then you shouldn't be surprised if you get taken as such.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

OH MY, we MUST watch out for those pesky 83 year old female cat burglars prowling around the neighborhood in a nightgown.
    Angry Bill likes this.

Both the Seattle man and this woman were senior citizens who called the police because they thought the heard something alarming around their homes. Then they get shot by the police. There HAS to be a better way to go about this. I know, self defense, pointed gun, stand your ground, unknown suspect, blah blah blah. What the hell do dispatchers do?

One of my guiding principles in life is constantly reassured - avoid interactions with the police at all costs.
    JayTee and mr.stuart like this.

OH MY, we MUST watch out for those pesky 83 year old female cat burglars prowling around the neighborhood in a nightgown.
    ... holding firearms, possibly refusing commands to drop the weapon, etc? Every situation's different. Unknown specifically what was said/done in this situation, but it's a good bet if the resident and LE had gotten in contact prior to the resident being seen carrying a firearm then she wouldn't have been mistaken for the (very possibly) armed criminal they'd been called to apprehend.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links