Bad: This is why I'm armed at home

This is a discussion on Bad: This is why I'm armed at home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...I'd hate to run to the neighbors house half nekkid... (from the waist down no less!) for help, and it'd be a long run ... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Bad: This is why I'm armed at home

...I'd hate to run to the neighbors house half nekkid... (from the waist down no less!) for help, and it'd be a long run ... 1/4 mile... barefoot.... on gravel... between 7 and 8 in the morning when the school bus goes by (oh, the humanity!)...

But this guy only had to go across the street.

Story here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Some people go through life thinking if they are inside their house with the doors locked that all the bad things in the world can no longer harm them,until the window gets broken out or the door gets kicked in.Sadly most of those people have no real form of defense and if they are robbed with a gun,instead of thinking "I need to be able to defend against a gun" they think we gotta get all those guns away from civilians so we can be safe.
    I either have my EDC on me or within reach in my home 24/7
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I always felt safe living out I the sticks like I do set back from the road - not worried at all. Kept my doors locked, but never worried - what's gonna happen out here. Then my neighbor down the street was robbed while he was at work. That got me a bit on edge but not too bad, I'm home all day so it's not an empty house. Then a few months later I found a broken door on the side of my house. Someone had tried to get in. I can only assume they were looking for a simple burglary, not a home invasion, so when they heard me and the kid's they took off. I never heard a thing, but the door was fine in the morning when my husband went out it to go to work and it was broken when I took out the trash. The police said "ma'am - you got you a gun?" bought one the next day and started going to the range regularly. That was last year, my gun has been on my hip at home since.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I always felt safe living out I the sticks like I do set back from the road - not worried at all. Kept my doors locked, but never worried - what's gonna happen out here. Then my neighbor down the street was robbed while he was at work. That got me a bit on edge but not too bad, I'm home all day so it's not an empty house. Then a few months later I found a broken door on the side of my house. Someone had tried to get in. I can only assume they were looking for a simple burglary, not a home invasion, so when they heard me and the kid's they took off. I never heard a thing, but the door was fine in the morning when my husband went out it to go to work and it was broken when I took out the trash. The police said "ma'am - you got you a gun?" bought one the next day and started going to the range regularly. That was last year, my gun has been on my hip at home since.
    Times have changed. Thank God for 2nd Amendment!
    RichB70 and Sky Pilot like this.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

VIP Member
    Sad that tribesmen in Africa sleep in huts with no doors, and we in the "civilized" world must lock our doors even during the day.

I'd say they won; so much for civilization huh?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

When I was 3 or 4 I used to pull the covers over my head, nothing could get me under there! Then I grew up and realized that was not really very good protection. Some people have not advanced through that thought process yet.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I have relatives that recently moved around the corner from us. Talking with the man about home defense is always the same. He is rolling in money but he has been 'thinking' about getting his CHL for 5 years? He also 'thinks' about an alarm system, a camera system,etc. Last week I asked if he bought any kind of safe yet. He replied "no,we keep the pistols under the mattress" ,wow,thieves will never look there. He once told me he was not sure if he could shoot another human,even if they were trying to kill him. Not much I can fix there.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Sad that tribesmen in Africa sleep in huts with no doors, and we in the "civilized" world must lock our doors even during the day.

And the people in entire villages living in grass huts get slaughtered by armed crazed marauding militia who come through in the night and hack them up with machetes and rape the women and burn their huts down. It's not exactly a safe world they're living in over in Africa.

Might want to check out the current events over in the Congo, Zimbabwe and other African nations.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

We keep a 642 with crimson trace and my new 442 next to the bed. My XDm with light in the basement where someone may try to keep us locked up, a walther on the main floor very close to the front door and a Marlin 35Rem in another part of the house. I think we are pretty safe here. During the day we are both carrying... and our dog is very alert to visitors. We live on top of a hill with a clear view of the road to our home.

The world is changing... times are a changing...
    skew12 likes this.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

One of my carry guns is either on me or within my immediate reach at all times when I am home.

GF calls me paranoid, I tell her the world is filled with bad people and they aren't going to wait for me to run upstairs and grab a gun when they smash a window or kick in our front door.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetal1911 View Post
    One of my carry guns is either on me or within my immediate reach at all times when I am home.

GF calls me paranoid, I tell her the world is filled with bad people and they aren't going to wait for me to run upstairs and grab a gun when they smash a window or kick in our front door.
    That's the sad part of it all. Far too many people never think it'll happen to them and that we're paranoid, it's sad. For the most part people that say this have NEVER experienced a violent act. Maybe not so much as a school fight. They don't understand what goes on in this type of situation. Never experienced the tunnel vision, and definitely haven't figured out how to work past it. Sadly, it takes just but one violent encounter to change their minds. And that is usually one too late.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My family thought I was paranoid about this stuff, but as a member of the neighborhood watch I get all the reports of break ins in the area. After showing them the reports they have come around and make certain cars are locked in the drive, doors always bolted, etc. It is second nature to them now. Same thing in public, never alone at night in parking lots, walk in groups etc. I am glad they did not have to learn the hard way.
    Bark'n likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    We keep a 642 with crimson trace and my new 442 next to the bed. My XDm with light in the basement where someone may try to keep us locked up, a walther on the main floor very close to the front door and a Marlin 35Rem in another part of the house. I think we are pretty safe here. During the day we are both carrying... and our dog is very alert to visitors. We live on top of a hill with a clear view of the road to our home.

The world is changing... times are a changing...
    Me thinks you just told all the bad guys where you keep your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

Uh...I think I've watched that episode on NatGeo... The neighboring tribesmen come in the middle of the night, steal their wives and daughters and usually they all fight to the death at a later date over the ordeal. Not exactly the emblem of safety...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

When home in the states, armed 24/7 regardless of location. Habit I guess.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links