The Cincinnati Enquirer can ID guns by shell casings!

This is a discussion on The Cincinnati Enquirer can ID guns by shell casings! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lincoln Heights woman shot while sleeping | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com "So far, police said they have found more than 20 shell casings fired from two ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By kapnketel
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 2 Post By suntzu
  • 2 Post By pittypat21
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: The Cincinnati Enquirer can ID guns by shell casings!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Lincoln Heights woman shot while sleeping | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

"So far, police said they have found more than 20 shell casings fired from two different weapons, a handgun and an assault rifle."

Not the stupidest thing I have read lately, but it makes the top ten. I bet the handgun casings were from a "Glock". For cryin' out loud...
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

If they found say, 9mm and .223 casings that isn't a total stretch. Granted 9mm can be fired from a rifle, so maybe it should have just stopped after "two different weapons." but it isn't crazy wrong.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

There was not much in the article.

So far, police said they have found more than 20 shell casings fired from two different weapons, a handgun and an assault rifle.
    Believe it or not certain firearms do put tell tale markings on spent brass, or are you referring to the "assault rifle" reference?

In all honesty I cannot recall the last intelligently written news article that I have read. Never let the facts get in the way of a good news story.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Unless the "assault rifle" was a carbine... my guess is I could tell them apart, too...

But then, I play chess with these:
    bulletchess.JPG

Which has nothing to do with your post, except that I was looking for pictures of shell casings that would illustrate my point.. (and I thought the chess set was pretty cool) But then, I think you know the difference between most rifle casings and most handgun casings, and the likelihood (averages) says that it's most likely the LEOs do too.

I'm not affiliated in any way... but if you thought the chess set was cool too, it's here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A pile of 20 .40 S&Ws (or 9mm, .45s, etc.) and 7.62x39mms. My guess would be a handgun and assault rifle also. But we don't know what the cases were, so we assume the report is wrong? Perhaps the paper passed on exactly what the LEOs stated. Sometimes we are quick to point the errant finger.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I wouldn't say it it crazy reporting. Just say they found 10mm shells and .223 shells.....What would you or any other person start looking for? An AR and a 10mm hand gun.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    I read the entire story, and found no indication the Cincinnati Enquirer tried to ID guns based on expended casings found at the scene.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My point is the usual "assault rifle" go to for the media. There are non "assault rifles" (as much as I hate that knee jerk moniker) that use .223 and 5.62 ammo. To be accurate, it should read "handgun and rifle casings found at the scene". The Enquirer has a history of histrionics when it comes to guns in their writing. Just rubbed me the wrong way...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    My point is the usual "assault rifle" go to for the media. There are non "assault rifles" (as much as I hate that knee jerk moniker) that use .223 and 5.62 ammo. To be accurate, it should read "handgun and rifle casings found at the scene". The Enquirer has a history of histrionics when it comes to guns in their writing. Just rubbed me the wrong way...
    I see your point but to be quite honest what is the first thing you think of if someone gave you .223 casing? AR or rifle? I think most would think AR.
    Brad426 and pittypat21 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Those 5.62 Winchester lever-actions used to be a favorite of ride-by shooters out west.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

You mean 5.56, right? And to be fair, while there are indeed weapons that use .223/5.56 that aren't assault rifles (Mini-14 comes to mind) ARs are certainly more widespread.

"So far, police said they have found more than 20 shell casings fired from two different weapons, a handgun and an assault rifle."

Fair judgement to make. If I saw 9mm/.40/.45 rounds and .223/5.56/7.62x39, I'd say handgun and assault rifle as well. Not to mention that the Cincinnati Enquirer didn't make such judgement, but rather reported information that the police gave them.

Consider the part where the police said "The shootings are the result of drug dealers fighting over territory". I'd bet drug dealers are using assault rifles, not mini-14s or bolt actions.
    Last edited by pittypat21; September 27th, 2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: I can't spell sometimes
    Brad426 and msgt/ret like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Guy comes after me with an AR or AK, I'm going to attempt to stop him with my Glock assault pistol, seeing as he's offensively assaulting me with an assault weapon. I think it qualifies in that case.
    msgt/ret and Bad Bob like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Mini 14's are assault rifles,magazine fed and some models were select fire they are designated AC 556.
    It's easy to tell what kinda gun fired what cartridge..if you look at the base if it was shot by a glock it has a G embedded,Colt C embedded Ruger R embedded,at least that is what I would tell a reporter so they could report it on the air and I could laugh while the LEO's were giving them that WTH are you talking about look
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    If they found say, 9mm and .223 casings that isn't a total stretch. Granted 9mm can be fired from a rifle, so maybe it should have just stopped after "two different weapons." but it isn't crazy wrong.
    Are you insinuating that all .223's are assault rifles?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    Are you insinuating that all .223's are assault rifles?
    He's probably not insinuating that, since he said, "that isn't a total stretch".
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Links