TRAGIC: Father shoots own son in ski mask

This is a discussion on TRAGIC: Father shoots own son in ski mask within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just this morning I was freaked out. My dog who never barks was barking her head off, hair on her neck and back raised staring ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: TRAGIC: Father shoots own son in ski mask

Just this morning I was freaked out. My dog who never barks was barking her head off, hair on her neck and back raised staring at the front door. I check the driveway camera - nothing. Check out the front window - nothing. Check out the back window - nothing. I cursed the posters on the dc forum for getting me paranoid and get in the shower (for the first time bringing my gun with me) Dog starts going nuts again while I'm in the shower. My first thought was "I should call my neighbor" I know he would have come and checked things out but my next thought was "why would I involve my neighbor if there was a problem on MY property?" Of course I wasn't going to call the police either just because my dog was barking, but why on earth if there's a problem would you call your neighbor and friend to put themselves in harm's way?! Granted, I don't play 'helpless female' well, but I still have a hard time with it - if I'm scared enough to call someone it's going to be the guys who are trained for it and do it for a living. In this case, there was a prowler. And my heart is so heavy for the dad, I cannot even begin to imagine what he's going through, irregarless of if it was a good shoot. But the neighbor put him in a very dangerous spot and I'm having a hard time with that angle too.

2. Remove Ads

I'm guessing either he, his wife or the neighbor called 911. I would have assisted a neighbor had I been called. I also would have carried to their location.

Very sad, indeed.

Terrible for the dad. Now I am wondering this: What if the kid was not his son. It seems t me that it would be a "good shoot" from the stand point at that point in time he was in imminent danger.

But what does the law say in various states about your life not being in danger and going over armed to someone else's property and then getting involved in a shooting.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I understand most men would go and help their neighbor. Mine would in a heartbeat I have no doubt. And he'd be carrying. And I think that's admirable and makes me feel good. But it would weight so heavy on my soul if my friend was killed or injured because I'd called him for help, I don't think I could do it.

In FL, you are allowed to "stand in someone's shoes" I BELIEVE if a neighbor called and was scared and wanted things checked out, you"'d be ok in the eyes of the law, you weren't necessarily playing cop and weren't pursuing anyone - your friend called and it could have been nothing more than a tree branch or whatever. I'm not sure though how it would play out. I would guess in part it depends on local police and prosecutors office in each county. In my county, I wouldn't worry one bit in this scenario.

I'm now reading the next door neighbor is the man's sister. A good reason to run to the neighbor's aid. Connecticut man kills suspected intruder, discovers it's his son - latimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I understand most men would go and help their neighbor. Mine would in a heartbeat I have no doubt. And he'd be carrying. And I think that's admirable and makes me feel good. But it would weight so heavy on my soul if my friend was killed or injured because I'd called him for help, I don't think I could do it.

In FL, you are allowed to "stand in someone's shoes" I BELIEVE if a neighbor called and was scared and wanted things checked out, you"'d be ok in the eyes of the law, you weren't necessarily playing cop and weren't pursuing anyone - your friend called and it could have been nothing more than a tree branch or whatever. I'm not sure though how it would play out. I would guess in part it depends on local police and prosecutors office in each county. In my county, I wouldn't worry one bit in this scenario.
    While going to a neighbor's aid may seem like the right thing to do or admirable, unless you are in a SHTF/WROL situation, call the police! Leaving the house to investigate a burglar at a neighbors house is a terrible idea. You may end up shooting the wrong person, or even get shot by the neighbor or the police (very common). That being said, if the neighbor was family I'm sure I would go, otherwise I would call 911.
    suntzu likes this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Why didn't the lady just call 911 instead of her neighbor? What's up with people leaving their house to investigate a burglar? Thats putting yourself in danger when there is none. If they are outside and you're inside, call the police. Thats not a life or death scenario until you make it one by confronting someone who may be armed. While some may think its the right, or even manly thing to confront a burglar OUTSIDE your home, its pretty dumb IMO. Like I said above, you are putting yourself in danger and may shoot the wrong person, or be shot by the neighbor or police when they arrive. I have read multiple stories in the news over the last year of police being called and shooting the homeowner who went outside. If you go outside, leave your property and shoot someone, depending on your local laws you may be charged and the DA may build a case against you by saying you weren't in any danger and you went looking for it.

I don't care if I look out my window and see someone rummaging through my car. Nothing in my car is worth either my life, or the legal hassle and stress of being investigated for shooting someone over "stuff". Stow your ego, stay inside and call 911 and arm yourself in case they enter your home and wait for the police. Insurance can help to replace most "stuff", but imagine your significant other having to tell your kids that you are either dead or in prison over stuff that can replaced.
    Lish and minimalbrat like this.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    St. Paul emphasized over and over the real problem with sin: sin is an illness in the body of Christ and it affects everybody. This is a dreadful example for us all. God bless this father. I have two sons. I wouldn't be able to face this. Lord have mercy! When you do something evil, you are involving your family, your neighbors, your community. THAT is what is so often lacking in peoples' understanding. Victimless crime? I do not know of any.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    But what does the law say in various states about your life not being in danger and going over armed to someone else's property and then getting involved in a shooting.
    Being armed ... then getting a call by a neighbor (sister?) in distress with an assailant in the home, during which the assailant (apparently) turns on you with what appears to be a deadly weapon? Doesn't seem much different than any other situation. If it went down just like this, then I can't imagine any statutes truly failing to allow for reasonable defense of oneself. Of course, it'll likely all come down to what the DA/GJ deem "reasonable," no matter the statutes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Being armed ... then getting a call by a neighbor (sister?) in distress with an assailant in the home, during which the assailant (apparently) turns on you with what appears to be a deadly weapon? Doesn't seem much different than any other situation. If it went down just like this, then I can't imagine any statutes truly failing to allow for reasonable defense of oneself. Of course, it'll likely all come down to what the DA/GJ deem "reasonable," no matter the statutes.
    There was no assailant when the sister called her brother, there was a suspected burglar... outside, not inside the home. He was shot while he was in the driveway.
    minimalbrat likes this.

VIP Member
    My neighbors are older folks who have a hard time getting around.
    The husband is retired but still works where he was employed ,helping out with things.
    She has a rough time just walking to the car 20 ft from the house and down 4 steps.

If they called me, I would go over there with my truck and hope whatever was messing with them would scram.
    We are in a rural farming twp. with the county and SP not likely to be in the immediate area.
    The police are most likely 20-50 min. away.
    Waiting is not an option.

Why do all you naysayers think the guy should'a called the cops and let them handle everything, knowing they(the cops) are most likely NOT going to arrive until after something ghastly happens.

Gimme a break.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I understand helping a neighbor. I'd do it and I know they would do it for me if asked.

All I'm saying is ME PERSONALLY, I wouldn't want my neighbor's blood on my hands.

Tough call if it's a neighbor, but in this instance, the neighbor was the father's sister. I know if my sister lived next door, I would call 911 on the walk over. There's no way I would sit in my house and wait.
    oneshot and Paymeister like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sad story. I feel for this father, but it wasn't his fault. Had the man under the mask been a stranger with a long rap sheet, we'd be saying 'good shoot'.

Our home was broken into some years ago while my husband & I were at work. We lost a little cash, some of my jewelry, and my husband's watch, but no guns (thank goodness - this is when a good safe pays for itself).

We're fairly sure it was our neighbor's son, a ne'er-do-well who was around 19 years old at the time. Police had the same theory due to his prior brushes with the law, but were never able to prove it. They said it's fairly typical for the source of burglaries to be someone who lives in the same neighborhood. Of course we all know that most violent crimes are perpetrated by someone who knows the victim, as well.

I hope this father is eventually able to find some peace.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

In my earlier post I did say if the neighbor was family then I would go. When family is involved I would go. Not family then I would call 911. I live in the suburbs and the police get here in under 5 minutes for emergencies. If I lived in the country like some of you and I knew that the police would take so long to get there then yes, I would help my neighbor. Otherwise I'm not risking my life to go outside. If my neighbors don't care to arm themselves so they can protect themselves, well it's not my job to do it. Homeowners going outside after calling 911 and getting shot by the police happens frequently.
    oldnfat likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links