TRAGIC: Father shoots own son in ski mask - Page 3

TRAGIC: Father shoots own son in ski mask

This is a discussion on TRAGIC: Father shoots own son in ski mask within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The article I read stated the boy was dressed in black,and black mask. Some type of shiny object in his hand at 1 AM? He ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: TRAGIC: Father shoots own son in ski mask

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    The article I read stated the boy was dressed in black,and black mask. Some type of shiny object in his hand at 1 AM? He ran at his dad. What was the boy doing? Might be more to this story.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

The father may very well have saved the neighbor lady from being raped, or worse. Remember, "When seconds count, the police are merely minutes away!"

The son (dressed like a cat burglar), apparently approached the dad in a threatening way with a shiny object in his hand that appeared to be a weapon. He pretty much didn't leave his dad much of a choice in a situation like that.

While they don't say if 911 had been called or not, my guess is that they had been.

If a neighbor woman called me saying someone was breaking into her house at 1 am, I would have done the same thing, after making sure 911 had been called also.

Again, when seconds count... the police are minutes away. I think the father did the right thing. It will be interesting to hear more of the son's history and background.

While I have some empathy for the father... He did the only thing to do in that situation, and may have saved the neighbor's life. Tough choices.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    A teachable moment
    No. There is no more teaching or learning to be had once you're dead.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

HEADS UP! : A Tragic Lesson for All: Make Sure You're Acting Against a TRUE Assailant

I won't add my own words to hype up the story: It is so stark it speaks for itself, and is unthinkable what the father will bear all his life. But for us: DON'T ACT UNLESS SURE. Perhaps this looked as sure as it could get, I don't know the details but if there is any uncertainty for US - if WE are unlucky enough to be faced with a possible SD Crisis - much better to not act lethally. Find some other way to keep the suspected assailant at bay until you know for sure what's actually transpiring and who's in front of you: a BG or not.

[Again, I am not blaming the father, he may have acted the same way anybody would, I'm just taking this horrible incident as a heads up for anybody: be certain or find a non-lethal way. And the corollary would be: if you are certain, taking in everything one could under the circumstances: then Act. It's not required you're correct, it's required you have a "reasonable belief" in imminent death or massive injury. ("Reasonable" in the legal sense: anybody under similar circumstances would believe the same.) No one can know what it is impossible to know, and the Law recognizes this.]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecticut Teacher Mistakenly Kills Son After Neighbor Reports Robber

"(CNN) -- A Connecticut grade-school teacher accidentally shot his 15-year-old son during what he apparently thought was the attempted robbery of a neighbor's house, police said Friday.

"Something like this is a tragedy, a loss of human life," State Police Lt. Paul Vance said. ...

(continued: Connecticut teacher mistakenly kills son after neighbor reports robber - CNN.com )

I believe this article has already been posted... With that said....

The report is not very clear as to all the circumstances. You do bring up a valid point however sometimes one needs to act and does not have the luxury(time) of taking every single thing into account. You need to take into account the son had on a ski mask and came at the father in a threatening manner (according to the article). Hindsight is nice but not of much use for a situation that has passed.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I believe this article has already been posted... With that said....

The report is not very clear as to all the circumstances. You do bring up a valid point however sometimes one needs to act and does not have the luxury(time) of taking every single thing into account. You need to take into account the son had on a ski mask and came at the father in a threatening manner (according to the article). Hindsight is nice but not of much use for a situation that has passed.
    O, sorry to all if the article has been posted.

But God, what a horrible situation. It seems they are just beginning the investigations so no one knows all the facts, but I agree with you :just the one fact known: someone coming at the man with a ski mask on in a house "ski-mask" is not supposed to be in and with a report by the owner of someone breaking in... well, seems to me anyone would be certain. Perhaps the young man was, in fact, robbing the house? But that's speculation.... time hopefully will give more facts - and I hope for the father's sake they all point to him not being able to do otherwise than he - or ANYBODY - would do and that he's blameless. It will be a horror for him enough without being officially found negligent of anything.

My thoughts go out to all involved..

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    No. There is no more teaching or learning to be had once you're dead.
    Not for him, obviously, but others.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Is this really so hard to understand? IMO and that of SC law, "imminent danger" is the key, not stealing someone's "stuff", and in this case, on top of everything else, "someone else's" stuff. Yes you can say that the robbery/burglary is a felony and that translates under castle doctrine to imminent danger or you can say "I worked hard for my stuff and I'll be damned if someone is going to take it from me without a fight", but, in this case, IT WAS NOT EVEN HIS STUFF!!!. Tragic?--for sure. Avoidable?---definitely. Would he have known it was his kid if all this had happened at his house?---scenario does not really make sense but castle doctrine would protect him, as if that is what would be on his mind after he killed his kid. Unless I am actually confronted in my home (at night I would stay in my locked bedroom and let BGs have whatever of my INSURED AND REPLACEABLE STUFF--I am also insured but not replaceable so I am not going out to "do battle" for stuff--I am armed, I have called 911, I have activated garage open, I have activated car alarms and I will wait--come into bedroom, you die) imminent danger is not on the table.
    detective likes this.

I think the boy was up to no good at 1 am trying to get into the aunts house with a black ski mask, outfit and a knife. These are the tools of the trade for a criminal. This boy was old enough to know better than to play a trick on his aunt in this manner. I think he was trying to victimize this lady in some way. His father came out of the house and the boy was "caught in the act" now the kid added to his poor choices by charging him with the knife thinking the guy would back down. Well it didn't happen that way. This kid was adopted into a loving family who apparently couldn't erase the darkness from his previous life. Clearly he was up to no good,, what was the knife for?

This father saved his sister's life and probably a few others down the road if you ask me. There was something bad hidden deep inside this kid even the bullet couldn't find.

35 years ago a 14 year old neighbor kid killed his next door elderly friend so he could "take the guys caddy to Fla. and have a good time", the kid got life and the local paper did an interview a couple years back, the killer wants out and can't imagine he did something so stupid back then. Kids do stupid things all the time that adults have to pay for.
    Now this father has to pay a payment every day for the rest of his life. Tragic
    Bark'n, mr.stuart and JDE101 like this.

VIP Member
    I agree it is a horrible thing the father will have to live with, but it is not of his making. He did what he had to do. From the NBC news report of the incident:

The father confronted someone wearing a black ski mask and black clothing and fired his gun when the person went at him with a shiny weapon in his hand, police said.
    His son was up to no good, and paid the ultimate price for it.
    tessa, Bad Bob, mrm and 6 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Feel bad for the Dad. Sooner or later it was bound to happen, the kid had no respect for anyone. He was attempting to break into his Aunt's house, then attempted to attack his Dad when confronted.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The latest article I have seen confirms that the kid did in fact have a knife in his hand. As I see it the dad holds no blame in this tragic event.

Yes, the kid made a VERY stupid decision. I hope the dad doesn't have too much mental anguish over this.

Masked Conn. teen killed by dad called a good kid

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    The latest article I have seen confirms that the kid did in fact have a knife in his hand. As I see it the dad holds no blame in this tragic event.

Yes, the kid made a VERY stupid decision. I hope the dad doesn't have too much mental anguish over this.

Masked Conn. teen killed by dad called a good kid
    So they are now stating what the weapon was. First account I've seen where they said. On thing I found interesting in the article:

Police were investigating whether the father's gun was registered.
    Since it appears there is no registration requirements for handguns in CT, it wouldn't be.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I agree with Chesafreak. I also think shooting a family member is the greatest fear of all of us who possess and carry guns to defend ourselves. Would the kid have reacted the same when approached by a responding LEO? If he did, the result would have been the same. Dressed in black,with a ski mask, prowling around someone else's home at 1am. This kid was up to no good. No words will ever help the dad feel better about this.
    ccw9mm likes this.

There's a lot more to the story that keeps coming out, which is why events took place as they did. First, the neighbor was the man's sister. If a man in a black ski mask was in your family member's yard, I'm guessing most people would not wait around for the police to come. Second, the man in the black ski mask had a knife in his hand. If it wasn't such a tragic situation, most people on this site would have been patting this man on his back.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links