TRAGIC: Father shoots own son in ski mask

This is a discussion on TRAGIC: Father shoots own son in ski mask within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In addition, to paint more of the background: - Within the previous 24 hours there had been a vicious sexual assault of a female not ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: TRAGIC: Father shoots own son in ski mask

In addition, to paint more of the background:

- Within the previous 24 hours there had been a vicious sexual assault of a female not far from where this incident occurred.

- New Fairfield has 6 resident state troopers and 6 town cops total to cover a town of 25 square miles and 14,000 residents. At the time of the incident, there are typically no more than 2 cops on duty. Response time to a 911 call is highly variable and nothing you can count on.

- There are no street lights on the street where the incident took place.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    "Ski mask", "woman alone in house", "middle of the night"?

Where does anyone get the idea that the motive was robbery and not rape?
    detective likes this.

HEADS UP! : A Tragic Lesson for All: Make Sure You're Acting Against a TRUE Assailant
    He was a true assailant. The fact that it was the mans son does not in any way change that.

Michael

Here's the link to other thread where this is being discussed... TRAGIC: Father shoots own son in ski mask
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

A newer article states that the "shiny object" was a knife... so a guy in a ski mask lunges at you with a knife, of course you shoot. It makes no difference that it was his son... he was a true assailant.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Anyone know what is happening with the father? Being that the shooting took place in a neighbor's house seems to make it tougher as a personal defense. I am not saying I agree or don't agree with the circumstance and result, rather many laws in many states revolve around protecting yourself and your personal property and are more forgiving if all this takes place in your home when a BG breaks in.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

VIP Member
    teachable moment
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Not for him, obviously, but others.
    Yes others can learn from this but a "teachable moment" it isn't.

Every bad guy is someone's son. Feel for the father, but the shooting itself sounds perfectly justified.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCDan View Post
    Anyone know what is happening with the father? Being that the shooting took place in a neighbor's house seems to make it tougher as a personal defense. I am not saying I agree or don't agree with the circumstance and result, rather many laws in many states revolve around protecting yourself and your personal property and are more forgiving if all this takes place in your home when a BG breaks in.
    A masked man with a knife should make for a pretty simple self-defense finding, regardless of where it happened.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

It doesn't matter where it happened, in his neighbor's yard, the gas station, the park, wherever. A guy in a sky mask, trying to break into a house in the middle of the night that lounges at you with a knife is most certainly self defense.

Why did the kid lounged at his own father with a knife? All he had to do was to say "Dad, stop, is me"

No charges yet, but it was his sister next door who called him, not just a random neighbor.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I feel so sorry for this man. BUT I have to wonder about shooting. No one was in any danger at that moment. Why weren't the police called and maybe wait until the person actually broke into the house?
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    I feel so sorry for this man. BUT I have to wonder about shooting. No one was in any danger at that moment. Why weren't the police called and maybe wait until the person actually broke into the house?
    Read post #7.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post

^^^^^OK^^^^^^^^^^^

Suppose your a woman, with or w/o a gun for protection.
    Someone you know and trust very well lives next door.
    The police are 1/2hr-45min away, and some thug is trying to get into your house.
    What are you going to do?
    Wait for the cops to get there, only to have them possibly find you dead/raped or otherwise traumatized for the rest of your life.
    Or what she did?

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    It doesn't matter where it happened, in his neighbor's yard, the gas station, the park, wherever. A guy in a sky mask, trying to break into a house in the middle of the night that lounges at you with a knife is most certainly self defense.

Why did the kid lounged at his own father with a knife? All he had to do was to say "Dad, stop, is me"

^^^The kid most likely lunged ^^^^^^^

At the father not knowing who he was, as it looked in the pictures to be a very dark place at night, large yards without a lot of lighting.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I'm thinking this kid started running with some other questionable youths, getting ideas he shouldn't have, and decided to start out on familiar ground, and was attempting to break into his aunts home, knew where all the goods were, was dressed like that to intimidate her and not let his ID be known and make off with the goods, but it all swam up and bit him in the butt.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links