Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses... - Page 3

Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

This is a discussion on Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I would never ever want to shoot a dog. But I'm very sorry to the dog owners who feel it is ok for your dog ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

I would never ever want to shoot a dog. But I'm very sorry to the dog owners who feel it is ok for your dog to run up to people because you know they are just being friendly. Other people do not know this, and other people should not have to deal with your dog running to them and sniffing them and possibly jumping up to them. I love dogs and have a huge tolerance for dogs misbehaving but if a dog of any substantial size comes running at me it is not my job to decide if he is going to lick me or try to eat me. He is a dumb lovable animal and should be controlled for his protection as well as mine. Not knowing an animals intentions when he is running at me gives me the right to defend myself if that animal violates my person space. I should not have to wait for the animal to attack me if I have reasonable fear that he may attack. This store has few details so I guess we'll see how it pans out.
    GunTrooper and d2jlking like this.

Bing Yee | LinkedIn

Seems like the guy has a lot of training being in the military for over 20 years and being deployed all over the world. Whether he could recognize a valid threat from the dog or just wanted to go rambo for god knows what, who knows. Ironic that he is currently training a dog for the DoD.

My response below
    I own a dog "A Rescue Lab/Greyhound" ,and I have a CHL and own several firearms.There is something not adding up that bothers me,If a dog is charging you there may be but a few seconds to determine if it's aggressive or not,and Tx law allows for self defense against threat of bodily harm.
    If the owners heard "Gun shots" why are they letting their dogs rush out of the house?If the yard isn't fenced why aren't their dogs on a leash?If the neighbor was on his own property and was surprised by a dog rushing at him on his property and fired in self defense,then the Owners are liable for the death of their dog.
    If the shooter was on the neighbors property then he was trespassing and had no business shooting a dog in it's own yard.
    To be perfectly honest I'm not letting my dog out when there may be somebody running around shooting,I will very likely peek out from cover to determine if there is a threat to me or my loved ones and take appropriate action
    skew12 and d2jlking like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Ntensity View Post
    Bing Yee | LinkedIn

Seems like the guy has a lot of training being in the military for over 20 years and being deployed all over the world. Whether he could recognize a valid threat from the dog or just wanted to go rambo for god knows what, who knows. Ironic that he is currently training a dog for the DoD.
    It looks like his Military career was in Construction,not in a combat MOS,In my experience non combat personnel are either qualified on the M16/M4 in basic and after that may qualify yearly.In Civilian life he may have taken some weapons classes and possibly was involved in IDPA etc.
    Without knowing the full story a lot of people are jumping to conclusions,if the dog was not in his yard and charged the neighbor on his own property then BLAME THE OWNERS FOR LETTING THEIR DOGS OUT WITHOUT BEING LEASHED
    skew12 and mlr1m like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If as claimed by the neighbor (the owner of the dog), that the man fired upon immediately seeing the dog exit the fence/house and come toward him, it's entirely likely there was no actual threat beyond simply approaching the person.

IMO, an approaching dog (even a rapidly-approaching one), alone, isn't justification of a threat, let alone deadly threat. Particularly if a person's well aware that it's a known neighbor's dog, though it's unclear from the article whether the neighbors were all well-known to each other, to the point of knowing the dog was a pussycat or a violently-tempered one.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just totally amazes me...man has a dog running or perceived charging at him. Dogs can do a lot of damage to an adult. Folks are raking him over the coals for defending himself while he "perceived" he was under a threat. I don't care about his military record. What does that have to do with being trained to defend yourself or being able to tell if a dog is friendly or not.

Just as a comparison, in a another thread two LEO's are called to a group home knowing that there is a disturbance. One is "cornered" somehow by a man in a whellchair with one arm and one leg holding an unknown object. Two supposedly highly trained LEO's find out the only recourse to use is to have one blow the mans head off. And some folks think that is a good shoot and a dog "charging" or running toward you is not.

I was not at either one. I just don't understand the mindset except that one involved LEO's and the guy that was "attacking" them looked like Charles Manson and in the other a "beloved" pet who of course everyone knew would never hurt someone was gunned down by some guy who obviously is trigger happy. Folks can fill in sarcasm tags where needed.

I guess what I am saying with out judging either situation is this: how much do we let our emotions (including myself) get in the way of forming opinions when we consider if a shoot is a good one or not.
    d2jlking likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

The dog's owners, Billy and Amber Rodgers, say their five-year-old dog Rusty was running toward their neighbor, Yee, when witnesses say Yee pulled out a gun and shot Rusty.
    "The second Rusty ran out there, he instantly pulled and fired. There wasn't a warning. There wasn't 'I have a gun, I will shoot your dog,'" said Amber Rodgers.

Did some of you read AND watch the video that accompanied the story? Kinda looks like, NO, or you are totally discarding the eye witnesses to the event and discarding the neighbors assessment of both the guy and Rusty. I got the strong impression that he new the dog and its disposition, so save all the "were you there", "how do you know" crap on me. I for one DO believe eye witnesses, and I used the information contained inside the video to strengthen my opinion regarding the idiots actions.. Face it. The dog was a friendly fun loving animal/family pet that was running out to visit the dog that was being walked by the guy. Rusty probably didn't give a flying hoot about the idiot holding the leash, and an attack was not his intention, just a friendly hello from a fellow K9, but instead he was killed by a mindless oath with the constitution of a doormat.

You don't like my opinion, that's fine by me; It is what it is and it wont change. I am and always will be a animal lover, and if I see or hear of animal abuse I'll get all in someone's business because of it, and in a heartbeat. I'm of the opinion, animals don't have a voice, so I'll lend a hand, even if it's not the popular thing to do.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Hey folks. Are you really gonna state on this forum that you or most intelligent folks can't tell a hostile dog as its approaching from a completely docile one...Come on, sheesh unreal. Oh and for the loose animal nazis... Animals get out on their own all the time, it's gonna happen. That in itself doesn't mean they should be put down by some jerk just because he thinks he can.
    Well since you were there, saw what happened and know the demeanor of the dog at the time, I'll have to defer to your judgement.

Dog can change in a heart beat, for no apparent reason. Years ago I owned a Brittany Spaniel, that I had gotten as a puppy. When she was about 2 years old, I was letting her in the house one afternoon. She walked in the door, got past me and for no reason, turned and bit me on the back of the ankle. We're not talking a playful nip, we're talking a full bite. luckily for me I was wearing boots, so I was not hurt, but it left teeth marks no the boot. She then went back to being a sweet loving dog.

I loaded her into my truck and took her to the vet and had her put down. I won't have an animal that bites me, and I wouldn't feel safe giving it to someone else, that it might turn on.
    skew12 and GunTrooper like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Well since you were there, saw what happened and know the demeanor of the dog at the time, I'll have to defer to your judgement.

Dog can change in a heart beat, for no apparent reason. Years ago I owned a Brittany Spaniel, that I had gotten as a puppy. When she was about 2 years old, I was letting her in the house one afternoon. She walked in the door, got past me and for no reason, turned and bit me on the back of the ankle. We're not talking a playful nip, we're talking a full bite. luckily for me I was wearing boots, so I was not hurt, but it left teeth marks no the boot. She then went back to being a sweet loving dog.

I loaded her into my truck and took her to the vet and had her put down. I won't have an animal that bites me, and I wouldn't feel safe giving it to someone else, that it might turn on.
    Just going by words alone "she then went back to being a sweet loving dog", I can not fathom how you would put down an animal for one bite that did not harm anyone and did not repeat this behaviour. Just me.....dogs will have a bad moment just like humans.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    BRAVO, BRAVO.... OKAY, OKAY I was there are you satisfied. For the record, I'm in Georgia and I use grey matter to evaluate stuff I hear, see and read. What I've posted inside this thread is my opinion, get it, my opinion of what happened as well as my opinion of the guy that killed the family pet, not some rabid dog mind you, but a family pet. If some of you really feel the need to be a eye witness to a situation before you can levy an opinion so be it. I won't hold it against you if you don't hold it against me that I feel I can rely on eye witness accounts as well as other variables surrounding the situation. I make no apologies for defending the poor animal, and never will.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Both my dad and wife have been bitten while out running (my wife, multiple times). One thing all of these incidents had in common was an owner trailing behind yelling "he's friendly".

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sorry but after being around all types of dogs you can't tell a friendly from non friendly. I blame dog owners here
    mlr1m, dukalmighty and d2jlking like this.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Just going by words alone "she then went back to being a sweet loving dog", I can not fathom how you would put down an animal for one bite that did not harm anyone and did not repeat this behaviour. Just me.....dogs will have a bad moment just like humans.
    Yes and those humans usually end up killed lol.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Ever watch the body language of a dog after an animal it plans to "play" with, by ripping it's guts out? "Ohhhh, happy, happy, happy!"

Hostile attacks are easy to read. "Rip to shreds" attacks are not, because they are not attacks, but play.
    suntzu likes this.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Oh, and I count the dog owners as being about as reliable witnesses as a drug gang member's mommy. Not exactly unbiased.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links