Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses... - Page 5

Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

This is a discussion on Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by GunTrooper It just seems that some people who wouldn't think twice about jumping to the assumption that an unknown human charging toward ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

Quote Originally Posted by GunTrooper View Post
    It just seems that some people who wouldn't think twice about jumping to the assumption that an unknown human charging toward them at night has ill intentions, bend over backward to give an animal the benefit of the doubt. Pretty heated discussion, not a bad thing at all... Using your gun is always a judgment call, and you will have to live, or die, with your decision... no right or wrong; no always or never.
    I haven't seen that many say they would just shoot & ask questions later? I my self have been in a few situations where I had to make a decision fast but I didn't make the wrong one. Carrying a weapon is a big responsibility for everyone.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

RAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Those attack cows are dangerous too.
    More people are killed by cows every year than by dogs. When you think of how many people come into contact with cows as opposed to dogs on a daily basis, dogs are really doing a good job of putting up with us and our strange, irrational behavior.
    Last edited by RAL; October 26th, 2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: The quote didn't post as I intended. I'm learning.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I hope he never sees his firearms again and is never able to carry a firearm either. Serves him right, what a sorry pig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Maybe a little harsh
    Not harsh enough in my opinion. Dogs can and do get loose. This doesn't mean we should just blow them away in the neighborhood.

This guy is a sorry pig besides being a loose cannon in the community and a hazard to everyone. He needs to lose more than his firearms if you ask me.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

I'm not defending the shooter. I personally would have yelled first then kicked a dog that charges me instead of shooting. We don't know from what little info is in the story if the dog was barking or growling and the man felt threatened. It seems pretty liberal to me that the owner was not held equally responsible. This never would have happend if the owner had kept the dog on a leash. Am I the only one that feels like the judge should not have any say over the man being able to turn on his lights during Halloween trick or treating? That doesn't seem like the punishment fits the crime in regards to the Halloween lighting.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

There is one sure fire way to tell if a snake is venomous and if a dog is hostile.
    pittypat21 likes this.

The first time I was bitten by a dog it had walked up wagging its tail with tongue hanging out looking freindly. I reached out to pet it and was bitten on the hand. I don't trust unfamiliar dogs since then. I still wouldn't shoot one unless it was obviously a vicious attack that I couldn't fend off with a good kick or two.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    ""The second Rusty ran out there, he instantly pulled and fired. There wasn't a warning. There wasn't 'I have a gun, I will shoot your dog,'" said Amber Rodgers. "

I'm not too sure the dog could interpret those warnings anyway.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Last resort is using my firearm for anything, I use the pyrimid of force that the police use. I always have another weapon like pepper spray or a stick. Im gonna get bear spray because thats what im told on here works good to get a dog away. i just posted about loose Dogs in my area and got some good advice...... My last dog was attacked around my old house by another dog. I had my gun then,I didnt pull it out or use it, just kicked at it and its owner grabbed it. I cant imagine shooting someones Dog unless my dogs throat is in the other dogs mouth or im being attacked,, fireing is a Last resort for anything for me..
    d2jlking likes this.

yeah on a more serious note from my last entry on this thread, I typically carry a 21" ASP with me pretty much everywhere, even when going somewhere that doesn't allow concealed carry of a firearm, barring airports, federal buildings and the like of course.. but for EDC, it's a great alternative and less than lethal tool to have handy, and it usually works on just about anything from canine to human if it really has to.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
    I don't think a stick, baton, or bat would do anything to a muscular breed that's decided to attack you. The spray is a great idea.
    I once saw a feral dog (some bully mix) attack a horse.

The horse repeatedly stomped the dog into hard-pack ground, and the dog shook it off and kept attacking. It's terrifying what a determined animal can ignore.

I'd never want to kill a dog, but I also wouldn't shy away if myself or my family (that includes the pets) were in real danger. That said, I never leave the house without OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I once saw a feral dog (some bully mix) attack a horse.

The horse repeatedly stomped the dog into hard-pack ground, and the dog shook it off and kept attacking. It's terrifying what a determined animal can ignore.

I'd never want to kill a dog, but I also wouldn't shy away if myself or my family (that includes the pets) were in real danger. That said, I never leave the house without OC.
    I don't really want to make this about man vs canine tactics, but ramming a baton down the animal's throat, or hitting it in the right place to sever the spinal cord, if you have the opportunity, as well as using the baton as a bar to choke the dog out, are effective uses of the weapon, if need be. It still beats having to do the job bare handed in any event. Generally I don't see a need for actions like this, but I have seen cases of certain dog breeds to remain unmentioned, being trained specifically for fighting ro attacking humans, then being set loose in the streets for the amusement of their owners.

Just because YOU are an animal lover doesn't mean others should be. I see so many dog lovers think it cute when their dog runs up to a stranger and pokes it's nose in their crotch and sniffing the rear or jumping up on them with who knows what's on their paws. Unbelievable rude! I hate that. Get the heck away from me. If I did that to strangers on the street they'd arrest me.

Like it or not...some people are terrified of dogs. I take blood thinners and can easily bleed to death from a dog bite. My life is threatened when approached by a dog. Am I supposed to have some sort of 'dog intuition' and know in advance whether the dog will bite me or should I just wait until he bite me and then I'll know for sure???

Had the dog owners not let the dog out without being leashed, like it was supposed to be, it wouldn't have happened so I blame them first. This story is one sided and has no information about the shooters mind set.
    d2jlking likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Hey folks. Are you really gonna state on this forum that you or most intelligent folks can't tell a hostile dog as its approaching from a completely docile one...Come on, sheesh unreal. Oh and for the loose animal nazis... Animals get out on their own all the time, it's gonna happen. That in itself doesn't mean they should be put down by some jerk just because he thinks he can.
    There's a cop in Texas who shot a dog and then blamed the owner for not stopping the dog when he told him not to move. Made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Just because YOU are an animal lover doesn't mean others should be. I see so many dog lovers think it cute when their dog runs up to a stranger and pokes it's nose in their crotch and sniffing the rear or jumping up on them with who knows what's on their paws. Unbelievable rude! I hate that. Get the heck away from me. If I did that to strangers on the street they'd arrest me.

Like it or not...some people are terrified of dogs. I take blood thinners and can easily bleed to death from a dog bite. My life is threatened when approached by a dog. Am I supposed to have some sort of 'dog intuition' and know in advance whether the dog will bite me or should I just wait until he bite me and then I'll know for sure???

Had the dog owners not let the dog out without being leashed, like it was supposed to be, it wouldn't have happened so I blame them first. This story is one sided and has no information about the shooters mind set.
    Your avatar is in direct contradiction to what you're saying. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post

In the real world things aren't always in place and where they should be, including dogs. We don't live in a bubble. We can't just shoot someone's family pet because he manages to sneak out of the yard and do what a dog does. Anyone that terrified of or so repulsed by a loose dog may just need to cancel his walk and stay indoors. If you would shoot up neighorhood dogs for sniffing your crotch and being rude to you you're a bigger threat in the neighborhood than loose dogs are.

I used to be a runner. Age has now changed me into a walker. I have encountered numerous loose dogs on my outings, some aggressive, most just curious and friendly. I've never felt the need to shoot any of them.
    ron54 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    In the real world things aren't always in place and where they should be, including dogs. We don't live in a bubble. We can't just shoot someone's family pet because he manages to sneak out of the yard and do what a dog does. Anyone that terrified of or so repulsed by a loose dog may just need to cancel his walk and stay indoors. If you would shoot up neighorhood dogs for sniffing your crotch and being rude to you you're a bigger threat in the neighborhood than loose dogs are.

I used to be a runner. Age has now changed me into a walker. I have encountered numerous loose dogs on my outings, some aggressive, most just curious and friendly. I've never felt the need to shoot any of them.
    Totally disagree. There are leash laws for a reason. There is an expectatation that you will not be assualted or inconvenienced by dogs running about. If someone has a legitmate phobia about dogs for whatever reason they shuld not have to be shut ins because people can not follow the law and keep their animals reigned in. I don't know all the details because the article only tells one side of the story.

Bottom line the owners are partly responsible. Wouldn't this be a totally different conversation if the dog for some reason had a panic and actually attacked a person and caused injury.

I am a runner as well as my wife. I have been tripped up by small and large dogs, been stalked by dogs, and have had dogs be overly aggressive. I did not need to shoot them but the owners are the ones that are letting situations like this develop. One guy told me to run in a different neighborhood if I don't like his dogs. Tha is just a wrong answer to have a law abiding pewrson to have to change their behaviour becuase of inept behaviour of a dog owner.
    Sig35seven and d2jlking like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Links