Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

This is a discussion on Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hillhick Charges can and often do happen after any type of shooting. Even if shooting a dog is necessary, there will be ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 124
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

  1. #91
    Member Array 2700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    177

    Re: Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillhick View Post
    Charges can and often do happen after any type of shooting. Even if shooting a dog is necessary, there will be high emotions running against the shooter. Ranchers will often discreetly kill dogs that are attacking their livestock out of fear of reprisals from dog owners that let them run wild in the first place.

    Sometimes dogs are aggressive, but the owners will never see that or admit to it. There are dog people that will react emotionally to the very idea of shooting a dog. We weren't there, which is why I will reserve judgement on this shooting. Dogs are a nuisance species when not controlled by their owners. I lived in the country for years, and we would get people from the city that would drop their dogs off to run feral. We would get livestock attacked. We would always have to be on our guard for being attacked by packs of dogs, and some of the dogs would show up starved and diseased. The people that abandonded their dogs are the very same people that would scream bloody murder if somebody shot their dog in self defense. They are certainly not dog's best friend. I love dog's as much as anybody, but I understand that they are animals, and are capable of being dangerous. Not only that, but a dog's life is not worth as much as a human's life. I have had to shoot dog's before. It is something that I despise doing, but if I have to I will. Once for a dog that was growling and coming at me and my children, and another time for a feral dog that while it wasn't acting aggresively at the time, it was severely diseased and would not come up to me for help. That last one was strictly putting the poor creature out of its misery. It wouldn't have lived long anyway, and I couldn't stand to see that poor animal suffer anymore.
    Well said. Good points of consideration.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

    The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #92
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,872
    I'm more concerned about the Judge's actions than I am the dead dog.

    I make a concious decision to defend myself with a gun that results in shooting it at a dog running towards me because I fear for my life, or maybe I just dont want to take the risk of getting bit.

    You take my permit and make me surrender the rest of my gun collection?

    Really?

    Some people would have you get bit before taking a shot. To me, its no different than someone shooting you first before you fire back. Having seen some horrendous wounds by people that were bitten by "harmless and loving pets" that took years to recover from, I tend to favor the side of the shooter.
    suntzu, zacii and d2jlking like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  4. #93
    Member Array nazshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    112

    Re: Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

    I came VERY close to shooting an agressive dog recently while walking in the woods about a mile from my neighborhood. If I'd had kids or anyone more vulnerable with me I would have pulled the trigger.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

  5. #94
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillhick View Post
    Charges can and often do happen after any type of shooting. Even if shooting a dog is necessary, there will be high emotions running against the shooter. Ranchers will often discreetly kill dogs that are attacking their livestock out of fear of reprisals from dog owners that let them run wild in the first place.

    Sometimes dogs are aggressive, but the owners will never see that or admit to it. There are dog people that will react emotionally to the very idea of shooting a dog. We weren't there, which is why I will reserve judgement on this shooting. Dogs are a nuisance species when not controlled by their owners. I lived in the country for years, and we would get people from the city that would drop their dogs off to run feral. We would get livestock attacked. We would always have to be on our guard for being attacked by packs of dogs, and some of the dogs would show up starved and diseased. The people that abandonded their dogs are the very same people that would scream bloody murder if somebody shot their dog in self defense. They are certainly not dog's best friend. I love dog's as much as anybody, but I understand that they are animals, and are capable of being dangerous. Not only that, but a dog's life is not worth as much as a human's life. I have had to shoot dog's before. It is something that I despise doing, but if I have to I will. Once for a dog that was growling and coming at me and my children, and another time for a feral dog that while it wasn't acting aggresively at the time, it was severely diseased and would not come up to me for help. That last one was strictly putting the poor creature out of its misery. It wouldn't have lived long anyway, and I couldn't stand to see that poor animal suffer anymore.
    We would shoot dogs that were running down deer also.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

  6. #95
    VIP Member
    Array BenGoodLuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,021
    As always with stories like this, we don't have enough facts either way.
    Ben

    Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)


  7. #96
    Member Array Hillhick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Permian Basin
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    As always with stories like this, we don't have enough facts either way.
    I think that there is enough facts to determine that this judge is out of line. He does not have the authority to usurp the United States Constitution. Surrendering all guns? Really? This is theft by the court.
    d2jlking likes this.

  8. #97
    Member Array Hillhick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Permian Basin
    Posts
    40
    We really shouldn't be surprised, considering the area. Down here, it's referred to as "The People's Republic of Austin". The people's attitudes and politics resemble those from Hollyweird, or San Francisco.

  9. #98
    Member Array skitchk20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    jacksonville florida
    Posts
    34
    my big dogs(2 german shepherds) are well big and can be mena at the mention of a certain word. however my 100 lb 5 ft2 girlfriend can control them just as effortlessly as i can due to them being trained and disciplined to obey.

  10. #99
    Member Array Cosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    220

    Re: Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

    So this dog was so vicious that the rest of the neighborhood held a memorial for it! This guy was an ass and should never be allowed to carry again!
    Had it been my dog, I'd still be beating this guy's ass.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    wmhawth likes this.
    NRA Member

    "I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

  11. #100
    Member Array 2700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    177

    Re: Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

    New flash for immediate release: Due to the trayvon martin memorials, a trial will no longer be necessary. We have our verdict, guilty.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

    The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

  12. #101
    Member Array d2jlking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Certain people are looking for a reason to pull their gun. I carry a really big stick when I walk,it has worked for 5 years.Pit bulls,great dane,etc., they have turned around when I point the club at them. Of course I know I am a man and have nothing to prove. Some people are still mad about junior high.
    Great statement. Dog owner lets his dog run loose. In fact, the dog by all accounts was running at the armed man. The armed man shoots dog. Instead of blaming the fool who owns pets and refuses to control them. We get mad at the guy defending himself. We call him a coward, and even question his manhood. Glad you "have nothing to prove" but if you let your dog run wild, and he gets shot. ITS YOUR FAULT. Not the dog. Not the potential victim of a dog bite. You.
    Thunder71 and ep1953 like this.

  13. #102
    Member Array d2jlking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    So this dog was so vicious that the rest of the neighborhood held a memorial for it! This guy was an ass and should never be allowed to carry again!
    Had it been my dog, I'd still be beating this guy's ass.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Doesn't matter if the dog is vicious. The dog owner should never be allowed to own a dog again. I would NOT have shot the dog unless he bit me. STILL, if the dog was properly restrained, the incident never happens.

  14. #103
    Member Array d2jlking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    419
    strong opinion. no problem with that. Advocate for animals? ok. Doesn't change the fact that the dog owner didn't uphold his responsibility. If he also is an "animal lover", he should have loved his dog enough to protect it. You know, by keeping it restrained.

  15. #104
    Member Array d2jlking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Well since you were there, saw what happened and know the demeanor of the dog at the time, I'll have to defer to your judgement.

    Dog can change in a heart beat, for no apparent reason. Years ago I owned a Brittany Spaniel, that I had gotten as a puppy. When she was about 2 years old, I was letting her in the house one afternoon. She walked in the door, got past me and for no reason, turned and bit me on the back of the ankle. We're not talking a playful nip, we're talking a full bite. luckily for me I was wearing boots, so I was not hurt, but it left teeth marks no the boot. She then went back to being a sweet loving dog.

    I loaded her into my truck and took her to the vet and had her put down. I won't have an animal that bites me, and I wouldn't feel safe giving it to someone else, that it might turn on.
    Sad story. But I COMPLETELY understand. That would be hard to do. I also agree that you cannot predict a dog's behavior accurately 100% of the time.

  16. #105
    Member Array d2jlking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by heffy4822 View Post
    What he said!! My dog is my best friend. If you shoot my dog we're gonna have a problem.
    I love dogs. I've owned dogs for many years. I get your emotion. But to all of you who are talking about "were gonna have a problem" or "hell to pay" or "still beating you up" There is a better solution. be responsible. Restrain your dog. Empty threats, or even real threats solve nothing. They only exacerbate a horrible situation. If you can't restrain your pet, don't own pets.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

did mountain man find his dog turbo

,
did rich lewis findhis dog turbo
,
loose dog on sidewalk ohio law
,

mountain men dog turbo

,
mountain men loses his dog turbo
,
mountain men rich loses dog turbo
,
mountainman turbo dog
,
on mountain men, did rich's dog turbo, get back home safely?
,

rich lewis dog turbo

,
rich lewis mountain man
,
rich lewis turbo
,
what kind of gators does mountainman rich lewis wear?
Click on a term to search for related topics.