Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

This is a discussion on Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; [QUOTE=wmhawth;2432029]Not harsh enough in my opinion. Dogs can and do get loose. This doesn't mean we should just blow them away in the neighborhood. This ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

[QUOTE=wmhawth;2432029]Not harsh enough in my opinion. Dogs can and do get loose. This doesn't mean we should just blow them away in the neighborhood.

This guy is a sorry pig besides being a loose cannon in the community and a hazard to everyone. He needs to lose more than his firearms if you ask me.[/QUOTE

Unbelievable how many of you agree with someone having their firearms confiscated by the government for shooting a dog running at him. You can call the guy names, threaten him, and in general over react to the death of an animal. Simple truth, it was NOT HIS FAULT. Blame the dog owner. If you let your dog run at people something bad will eventually happen. As the dog owner, you owe it to the neighborhood, and THE DOG, to be responsible. These reactions of supporting this guy losing all of his guns are shocking to me. There are all kinds of anti-freedom people in this country who want to take our guns. I didn't think I'd bump into so many on this forum.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    In the real world things aren't always in place and where they should be, including dogs. We don't live in a bubble. We can't just shoot someone's family pet because he manages to sneak out of the yard and do what a dog does. Anyone that terrified of or so repulsed by a loose dog may just need to cancel his walk and stay indoors. If you would shoot up neighorhood dogs for sniffing your crotch and being rude to you you're a bigger threat in the neighborhood than loose dogs are.

I used to be a runner. Age has now changed me into a walker. I have encountered numerous loose dogs on my outings, some aggressive, most just curious and friendly. I've never felt the need to shoot any of them.
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! Dogs should not be allowed to run wild. Youre right, things happen, we don't live in a bubble. DOESN"T MEAN THE DOG HAS MORE RIGHTS THAN A HUMAN!!! Dogs are pets. Property. Owned. Attach any and all emotional significance to pet ownership that you choose. But the dog owner is the one causing the problem. Nobody should be forced to stay indoors because people cannot control their pets. Nor should they be placed in a situation of determining a dogs demeanor or intentions.

Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

Dogs loose is often a problem here. In particular, my one neighbor's dogs are often over here - one tore up the cushions on my outdoor furniture. A neighbor's dog killed my ducks ON MY PROPERTY - we used to put those ducks inside every night to keep them from predators. I agree the problem is the owners. However, my one neighbor's dog had my little dog in it's mouth ON MY PROPERTY - had I been carrying I honestly would have shot it. Yes dogs sometimes get out. They're not always aggressive. But sometimes they can be.

This sign showed up at the end of my road about 2 weeks ago. (for the record I did not put it up) I don't go around gunning for every loose dog around here, but if I feel me, my family or my animals are threatened I will protect us. I'll try a nearby shot to the ground first if I can...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353701505.609791.jpg

"Rusty was running toward their neighbor, Yee, when witnesses say Yee pulled out a gun and shot Rusty."

Keep your dogs tied up, fenced up, or on a leash and this doesn't happen. People who choose not to have pets shouldn't have to deal with yours.

My wife and I were almost the victim of a local neighborhood dog that had gotten out last year.

We thought it was a stray, it ran towards us and when it got to within 6 feet, started barking and being aggressive. It then tried to attack my wife, and I stepped in between and distracted it with my baseball cap. My wife then flanked it and we just made a lot of noise. Fortunately he backed off and we called animal control. I was not carrying at the time but have been carrying on our neighborhood walks ever since.

To continue the story. We contacted the HOA to let them know about a dangerous stray dog. One of the neighbors recognized the description and replied to all claiming it was a highly trained, very expensive hunting dog. He was indignant and abusive at the suggestion that the dog had tried to attack us.

Just as we were starting to feel we had overreacted, the dog got out again and this time bit a large chunk out of the butt of a female neighbor walking on her own. The dog was put down--and just about everyone blames the owner, not the dog.

I am just thankful that it didn't attack one of the many kids that play in our neighborhood.
    Don't bring a knife to a gun fight...unless it's strapped to a gun.

That's most likely what would happen to someone here in those circumstances as well..... they'ld lose guns, be charged, etc.

The " if a dog runs at me I'll shoot it mentality" .... doesn't sell and hold salt.... unless it's truly "attacking" ... and running up to someone ... is not an attact and shooting it is a stupid act with no justification for that type of reaction.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Not even... Anyone that would kill a friendly domesticated pet is a sorry pig and don't deserve the right to carry a firearm and endanger others.
    I couldn't agree more...this scumbag shot what was apparently a very friendly dog.
    Anyone but an 'idiot' should know the difference between a "wanna pet me" charge and an "I'm going to kill you" charge.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by d2jlking View Post
    [Unbelievable how many of you agree with someone having their firearms confiscated by the government for shooting a dog running at him. You can call the guy names, threaten him, and in general over react to the death of an animal. Simple truth, it was NOT HIS FAULT. Blame the dog owner. If you let your dog run at people something bad will eventually happen. As the dog owner, you owe it to the neighborhood, and THE DOG, to be responsible. These reactions of supporting this guy losing all of his guns are shocking to me. There are all kinds of anti-freedom people in this country who want to take our guns. I didn't think I'd bump into so many on this forum.
    Whoever told you that being pro-freedom and pro-gun required condoning the actions of an angry or paranoid idiot popping off rounds in a residential neighborhood at a loose dog because he's either so angry or frightened and his judgement is so clouded that he just feels obliged to blow someone's pet away? He's a worse menace to the neighborhood than the dog who has slipped his leash and wants to sniff someone's crotch.

Of course the dog shouldn't be running loose. No one disputes that.

Whoever told you that being pro-freedom and pro-gun required condoning the actions of an angry or paranoid idiot popping off rounds in a residential neighborhood at a loose dog because he's either so angry or frightened and his judgement is so clouded that he just feels obliged to blow someone's pet away? He's a worse menace to the neighborhood than the dog who has slipped his leash and wants to sniff someone's crotch.

Of course the dog shouldn't be running loose. No one disputes that.
    Ummmm....actually, nobody told me that. Nor did I ever say the actions of an angry paranoid idiot should be condoned. I get it....your emotional about the dog getting shot....ok. But the fact is...YOU CANNOT KNOW WHAT WAS IN THAT MAN'S MIND WHEN HE PULLED THE TRIGGER, AND YOU DO NOT KNOW THE INTENTIONS OF THAT DOG AS HE RAN TOWARD HIS EVENTUAL KILLER. Exactly how is he a menace? Does he have a history of endangering people with his firearm? Has he threatened someone? As for who disputes that the dog should not be running loose......by calling the guy names, and characterizing his actions in a totally negative light YOU ARE placing the blame and focus on the man who shot the dog. YOU are avoiding the elephant in the room, which is, the dog should have been restrained.

People freaking love dogs, man. It's irrational.

I wouldn't shoot a known family pet unless it bit me, but I also don't agree with taking away guns. 100 guns is a lot of money. A dog is cheap. With that being said, if some dude shot my dog when I was a kid (he's in his late teens and lives with my dad) I would have a problem with it, but I wouldn't expect the courts to do anything.

I was the guy who always thought Michael Vick got a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I couldn't agree more...this scumbag shot what was apparently a very friendly dog.
    Anyone but an 'idiot' should know the difference between a "wanna pet me" charge and an "I'm going to kill you" charge.IMHO
    That is so wrong. My Norwegian Elkhound was a fun loving good dog and would never hurt someone. But when he ran toward you he could scare the crap out of you. Once we were playing with him behind our house. He ran past me toward this lady who threw whatever she had in her hand in the air and ran inside her house. I learned then to make sure he was restrained.

Same thing with my Borzoi (Russian Wolfhound). She ran past my wife and got outside. A lady jumped in her car and was terrified. That dog also would not hurt a fly. They both wanted to play. We were much younger then (20 years ago) and make sure our dogs are kept on a leash when they need to be.

To say
    Anyone but an 'idiot' should know the difference between a "wanna pet me" charge and an "I'm going to kill you" charge.
    might be your opinion but an ill informed one and a fallacy proven over and over again.....IMO
    d2jlking likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by d2jlking View Post
    Ummmm....actually, nobody told me that. Nor did I ever say the actions of an angry paranoid idiot should be condoned. I get it....your emotional about the dog getting shot....ok. But the fact is...YOU CANNOT KNOW WHAT WAS IN THAT MAN'S MIND WHEN HE PULLED THE TRIGGER, AND YOU DO NOT KNOW THE INTENTIONS OF THAT DOG AS HE RAN TOWARD HIS EVENTUAL KILLER. Exactly how is he a menace? Does he have a history of endangering people with his firearm? Has he threatened someone? As for who disputes that the dog should not be running loose......by calling the guy names, and characterizing his actions in a totally negative light YOU ARE placing the blame and focus on the man who shot the dog. YOU are avoiding the elephant in the room, which is, the dog should have been restrained.
    All we really have to go on in this thread is what's in the original post. From that I get the message that the dog was a familiar pet in the neighborhood and a friendly one. Based on the OP I think the shooter just wanted to drop the hammer on Rusty (the dog). Again...all we have to go on here is the OP.
    d2jlking likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    People freaking love dogs, man. It's irrational.

I wouldn't shoot a known family pet unless it bit me, but I also don't agree with taking away guns. 100 guns is a lot of money. A dog is cheap. With that being said, if some dude shot my dog when I was a kid (he's in his late teens and lives with my dad) I would have a problem with it, but I wouldn't expect the courts to do anything.

I was the guy who always thought Michael Vick got a bad rap.
    You're aptly named Cold Shot. You and I definitely swim in different waters.

All we really have to go on in this thread is what's in the original post. From that I get the message that the dog was a familiar pet in the neighborhood and a friendly one. Based on the OP I think the shooter just wanted to drop the hammer on Rusty (the dog). Again...all we have to go on here is the OP.
    It's possible, you're right. As you said "all we have to go on here is the OP"

Re: Hmmm: man shoots dog, loses...

If a LEO shoots a dog inside a fenced in yard very few people say anything about it. A civilian shoots a loose dog that is acting aggressively and he should lose his permit and guns?

Interesting double standards we see nowadays.

I'd hate for my dog to ever get shot, but if I screw up and allow her to get out of our yard and she gets hostile with a person out on a stroll, whatever happens is on me. Asking for the person who shot the dog to lose his rights and possessions seems a bit far fetched by my logic

sent via iCarry

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links