Woman Flies to NJ with Loaded Handgun in Purse

This is a discussion on Woman Flies to NJ with Loaded Handgun in Purse within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman got loaded gun past TSA: report | The Lookout - Yahoo! News How do you forget?? Assuming you actually did forget and got onto ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghettokracker71
  • 1 Post By Lish
  • 3 Post By limatunes
  • 1 Post By Bark'n

Thread: Woman Flies to NJ with Loaded Handgun in Purse

Woman got loaded gun past TSA: report | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

How do you forget??

Assuming you actually did forget and got onto a plane with a loaded gun, would you self-report?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    "The [Port Authority] officer took possession of the handgun and made it safe."
    What was unsafe about it? Was it in a state of disrepair and needed to be shipped back to Ruger?
    zonker1986 likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

No way I would self-report, but I'd be sweating bullets way bigger than that .380 has.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I give her a lot of credit for self reporting - that could not have been an easy thing to do.

It's my opinion that the TSA is more in place for the illusion of safety than actual safety. Not trying to knock TSA agents, Orlando is a huge airport with a LOT of passengers going through every day. But the agency makes them so focused on liquids and gels and things that are much less of a true safety concern. When I fly with my kid's next month, I'll need to report and carry in a separate bag my son's emergency medication because of the gel ounces rule - yet I can bring tools less than 7 inches in length or metal pointed scissors less than 4 inches in length - either of which is a much easier weapon than a large plastic syringe of gel. It's a joke to make the American public feel safer. Not that I think the weapons ban in carry ons should be lifted, just that the whole policy needs work.

I can't help but wonder - the only reason we're hearing about this is because she self reported...I wonder how many people have done it, even accidentally and kept their mouths shut that we haven't heard about!
    msgt/ret likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Lish, not too long ago some agency got the green light to test TSA and their ability to actually catch dangerous objects such as bomb parts, guns and knives. All told, about 70% of those items made it through security in any given airport of the 12 or so they tested. I can't remember the exact details, I read the study awhile ago but if I find it I'll post it.

They determined that the TSA officers were overworked, blah blah blah.. either way, it was kept pretty quite and no real changes to TSA has been made. A few airports have said, "Enough is enough" and gone to private security that has drastically improved everything from wait times to catching of dangerous objects but it will never be 100% fool proof.

No, I don't think that any Tom, Dick or Harry should be let on with "weapons" but I think that the powers that be need to realize that the best defense against any kind of violence in the sky is not going to be how well they disarm people on the ground, but how ready passengers are to dish out a helping of whup-up if anything were to go south in flight.

TSA is a joke! A colossal joke. It needs to be disbanded immediately and replaced with private security.

All I know is that if I had "self reported," I'd be sitting in jail right now.

I never have that kind of good luck. In New Jersey, no less.

Oh, btw... TSA officials didn't catch it because they were too busy stealing stuff from peoples baggage.

ABC News Tracks Missing iPad to Florida Home of TSA Officer

This guy admitted to stealing over $800,000 worth of electronics and other stuff. Convicted TSA Officer Reveals Secrets of Thefts at Airports

Note: No intention to hijack thread, just offering a possible reason why TSA missed the woman's gun.
    Badey likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    All I know is that if I had "self reported," I'd be sitting in jail right now.

I never have that kind of good luck. In New Jersey, no less.

Oh, btw... TSA officials didn't catch it because they were too busy stealing stuff from peoples baggage.

ABC News Tracks Missing iPad to Florida Home of TSA Officer

This guy admitted to stealing over $800,000 worth of electronics and other stuff. Convicted TSA Officer Reveals Secrets of Thefts at Airports

Note: No intention to hijack thread, just offering a possible reason why TSA missed the woman's gun.
    Yeah, I am surprised she wasn't set before a firing squad, since bringing a gun to NJ is about the worst crime you can do in that state.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Lish, not too long ago some agency got the green light to test TSA and their ability to actually catch dangerous objects such as bomb parts, guns and knives. All told, about 70% of those items made it through security in any given airport of the 12 or so they tested. I can't remember the exact details, I read the study awhile ago but if I find it I'll post it.

They determined that the TSA officers were overworked, blah blah blah.. either way, it was kept pretty quite and no real changes to TSA has been made. A few airports have said, "Enough is enough" and gone to private security that has drastically improved everything from wait times to catching of dangerous objects but it will never be 100% fool proof.

No, I don't think that any Tom, Dick or Harry should be let on with "weapons" but I think that the powers that be need to realize that the best defense against any kind of violence in the sky is not going to be how well they disarm people on the ground, but how ready passengers are to dish out a helping of whup-up if anything were to go south in flight.

TSA is a joke! A colossal joke. It needs to be disbanded immediately and replaced with private security.
    I fly a decent amount for my job and I haven't seen any private security. I know Kansas City and (last I heard) 15 others had "opted out", but then TSA put a stop to that. I agree TSA is a joke. From everything I have heard Kansas City is the model other airports should strive to copy, although I have never flown in or out of there.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Links