Solution to gang member violence in Chicago?

This is a discussion on Solution to gang member violence in Chicago? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The law abiding citizen in Chicago isn't allowed a gun to protect themselves, but this is what they are facing. ‘Killing Is The Solution,’ Gang ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Solution to gang member violence in Chicago?

Solution to gang member violence in Chicago?

The law abiding citizen in Chicago isn't allowed a gun to protect themselves, but this is what they are facing.

‘Killing Is The Solution,’ Gang Member Tells Walter Jacobson « CBS Chicago

I noticed one thing. When these young men talk about supporting their life, they talk about stealing, killing, robbing, and selling drugs, BUT none of them talk about getting a real job and working. HOW do you combat this?
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Typical Chicago anti gun propaganda. He ended with the weapons. CC won't change anything, all the murders are criminals killing criminals or killing people that would not CC anyway. The CPD may be the worst in the country due to the failed leadership and anti politics.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Soulution: Patriot Act all gangs in America as what they are "Domestic Terrorist".....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Isolate the city....

Turn that poop hole town into a real life thunderdome... Let them duke it out while the world watches... Heck you could even pay per view it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    What I'd say....

"You know what Junior? We tried. We work hard at honest jobs, pulling honest pay checks only to have nearly a third of it taken from us and given to scum like you to go to school, get that job and work your way into that mansion with lots of cars and women. But no, you chose the gang life, so there you will stay and just hope that you'll make it to 21. Enjoy getting your head slammed onto the trunk of a squad car, it shoudn't hurt that much, only because you animals refuse to grow a brain."

This is what were dealing with people, I'd like to say it's only our fault for electing politicians that pride themselves on claiming to listen to these people, but I dont remember voting for any of them.
    wingryder and Freedom Doc like this.

Stopping gangs in Chicago is possible, but not how they're going about it. Its not about taking away guns, is about taking away disparity.

Chances are these kids are raised by a single parent (most likely mom), usually very hard working but living in poverty. When they're young, that's just the way it is.. You're poor, and there's nothing you can do about it. As they get older they want to or at least can do something about it. I remember being 10, 11, 12 and so on. I was more than capable to work. I tried my damndest to work. but No one would hire a 10 year old. It was "illegal " for me to work.
    all I could do is wash cars during summer, rake leaves in fall, and shovel show during winter.
    I couldn't get my first "honest" job til 16, and even then I needed a work permit. By then my by-weekly check rarely hit $100. when on a heavy snow day I could clear that much in 6 hours.

Now I understand the value of having an honest job, but lets be real. These schools are crap. They don't teach money or life skills. And the allure of a honest job paying 5-6 an hour part time is not going to help pull the out of a gang.

robberies, burglaries, and selling drugs are very, very profitable. Lets say the power is off and it cost $600 to reconnect. how long would it take for one of them to find a job, get hired, earn atleast $600 take-home, and get paid, vs robbing 3-4 people that night and having the bill paid by morning with enough left over to get some groceries.

When it becomes earlier to make money than it is to steal it. Gang problems will go away.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I noticed one thing. When these young men talk about supporting their life, they talk about stealing, killing, robbing, and selling drugs, BUT none of them talk about getting a real job and working. HOW do you combat this?
    A job ain't nothing but work to gang bangers. They get much more street cred by being in and out of the pokey for running drugs or knocking off liquor stores. Those probably pay better too, until they get caught and we end up paying for their food and accommodations inside prison.

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2

My idea: stop giving criminals a break. People commit crimes and get sentenced to 60 days in jail, or probation, or house arrest, and they are right back out on the street committing crime again. If we actually kept criminals locked up for what their sentences should be, there would be a whole lot fewer of them out on the streets.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    The law abiding citizen in Chicago isn't allowed a gun to protect themselves, but this is what they are facing.

Open gangbanger tag (kinda like a deer tag, but leave it for the city to clean up). Have the CPD gang unit post known and convicted gang members online...

Seriously...I hate, loathe and despise gang bangers.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

one gang member tells him. “Killing, killing is the solution.”
    He may be onto something. "Die Endlösung" (the final solution) to the gangbanger problem.

VIP Member
    What can be done about the gang problems in Chicago? Absolutely nothing. Chicago's gang problems go back to the 1800's. What makes anyone think they can wave a magic wand and cure it. I grew up in Northern Indiana in the 50'-60's. Everyone knew, you stayed out of Chicago/Gary unless you were looking for trouble. Our HS played teams from East Chicago and Gary in sports. If you went to a home game there, you could expect your vehicle to be vandalized, it wasn't the exception to the rule, it was the rule.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Soulution: Patriot Act all gangs in America as what they are "Domestic Terrorist".....
    Obama will never allow that. This is his voter pool.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post

Make all drugs legal. This will put drug dealers out of business and people will not die if they are buying their crack cocaine at Walgreens. It sounds radical but look at how failed the war on drugs has become. All or nothing I say... Think about the amount of money we would save not having to enforce drug offenses to include federal state and local organizations that could all be canceled.
    Roon, oldnfat, Spirit51 and 3 others like this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Legalize and tax drugs. Remove their main source of income and suddenly being a gang banger becomes less lucrative. Lets be honest, the reasons for kids getting into that life is the promise of easy cash, remove that from the equation and your gang problem starts to immediately get smaller.
    oldnfat, Spirit51 and wingryder like this.

This is the beginning of the total breakdown of society when people feel that just because of "who" they are, or "how" their predecessors were treated are now entitled to just do anything but work for a living. I say this at the great risk of sounding racist, but if something is true, then it's true all over.

They feel as if the whole world owes them something for wrongs and sins of the past. How does one combat that mentality? It is difficult when they are taught to behave that way because it is revenge against those who they wrong them on a daily basis. Many of these gang bangers know only violence and abhorrent behaviour because they have lost hope and will resort to anything to get what they want. However, most of the time their activities target their own neighbourhoods and people.

Is killing them off a solution? Let's pray not, even though it sounds like a plan, that won't stop or cure the problem, it will just make others want to take their place and hit back at the authorities who did this.

There may be no easy answer to the problem, and it is not just an urban one, it is beginning to creep out of the inner cities into suburban America.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; September 29th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links