That Loaded Gun in My Carry-On? Oh, I Forgot

This is a discussion on That Loaded Gun in My Carry-On? Oh, I Forgot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; More folks carrying, more cases of fogetfulness? Hmmm, could be. I'd like to know how many times it was men versus women, only because I ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By yz9890

Thread: That Loaded Gun in My Carry-On? Oh, I Forgot

More folks carrying, more cases of fogetfulness? Hmmm, could be. I'd like to know how many times it was men versus women, only because I could imagine it happening to a woman more often if they keep their weapon in their purse at all times whereas a man has to make a conscious effort to grab their weapon, slide it in their holster or pocket as they're heading out the door, even to the airport to catch a flight which would hopefully make them think twice realizing "oh crap, I can't carry this".

I'm of course not making excuses, nor am I being sexist, just curious what the "reasons" are that people are claiming.

That Loaded Gun in My Carry-On? Oh, I Forgot - US Business News - CNBC
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

"Stupid is, as stupid does."
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Since 9/11/01 we have TSA examining all of our carry-on bags, and they're finding 1000+ guns a year. I have to wonder - how many guns were carried on board before the TSA was created?
    And how many of those guns actually created problems in flight?

In light of the billions and billions spent on low-paid TSA people and high-tech scanning systems, it seems that the results are of questionable value. Those measures didn't stop a shoe bomber or an underwear bomber. After single incidents like those we spend even more money and make the mesh on the net even finer, but those measures are reactive and not pro-active. About three billion people fly as commercial air passengers worldwide each year, so statistically the likelihood of one armed terrorist getting onto an aircraft is pretty good if our security measures have a failure rate of even 1 millionth of one percent.

We need to critically re-think our transportation security measures. Some of what we do is good, but a lot of money goes into useless window-dressing.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Very right Smitty. A Congressman over here did this...just pistol whip em and call it even.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    The flight attendant, arriving for work on a US Airways flight, had a valid handgun permit — but of course, not a permit to carry it on an airplane. As it routinely does in such cases, the T.S.A. notified local law enforcement. A Philadelphia police officer who responded tried to unload the 38-caliber handgun weapon but instead accidentally fired it. No one was hurt, and the flight attendant was issued a summary citation for disorderly conduct.
    Disorderly conduct against a cop who doesn't know how to unload a handgun without firing it In defense of the cop, snubbies are alien to many cops these days.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

It was one of the Bush boy's, Jeb, I think, was arrested in Seattle airport (SeaTac) with a pistol in his "brief" case...(Jeb wasa lawyer ??) anyway later in US district court in Seattle the district court judge agreed with Jeb's I FORGOT IT WAS THERE argument...he had been carrying for many many years, it was really just an oversite on his part...no intent, It worked for Jeb, and now it works for you...but Jeb was still and airhead, and so will you be if you Forget you can not carry on a airplane...

Reminds me of the time I forgot about a small pocket knife in the outside pocket on my backpack I had for carry-on. I flew to the DC area for a weekend of training at the National Fire Academy. Flew out of Portland (Maine) and they either didn't see it on the scan or didn't see an issue with it...this is Maine after all. On the way back to Maine they did find it and the guy said you can't have this in your carry-on and I was just as surprised as him. I told him I must have left it in there but it flew through Portland with me the first time now that I knew about it. He didn't seem to believe me but just chucked it in the trash so I could keep moving through the line.

This situation is a little more severe...

I carry my gun in my purse a great deal of the time. I am not sure if women keep their guns in their purse all the time or not. Doesn't do them much good in their purse if they are out in the yard or sitting in the living room does it. Even if she does she sure knows it is in there. It goes in when I leave the house it comes out when I get home. Just as a man would put his in or out of his holster. I keep mine in a belly holster when I am at home. WOMEN make a CONSCIOUS EFFORT to take their gun with them and know where the darn thing is. The darn purse weighs a ton with it in there. Pretty easy to know. Some people are just stupid and that is all there is to it.

I think we need to worry about an officer who doesn't know to not pull the trigger while you are attempting to unload a gun. I don't care if they never unloaded a .38 before or not. There is no defense for this behavior. Number one rule would be don't pull the trigger.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    I carry my gun in my purse a great deal of the time. I am not sure if women keep their guns in their purse all the time or not. Doesn't do them much good in their purse if they are out in the yard or sitting in the living room does it. Even if she does she sure knows it is in there. It goes in when I leave the house it comes out when I get home. Just as a man would put his in or out of his holster. I keep mine in a belly holster when I am at home. WOMEN make a CONSCIOUS EFFORT to take their gun with them and know where the darn thing is. The darn purse weighs a ton with it in there. Pretty easy to know. Some people are just stupid and that is all there is to it.

I think we need to worry about an officer who doesn't know to not pull the trigger while you are attempting to unload a gun. I don't care if they never unloaded a .38 before or not. There is no defense for this behavior. Number one rule would be don't pull the trigger.
    You're right, off course, minimalbrat. All cops should know and follow Cooper's all four rules of gun safety. But you can't fix stupid on stupid.
    Disorderly conduct struck me as an inaccurate charge unless I imagine that the flight attendant gave the cop some inappropriate language after the ND.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

she kept her job by the way. she's a nice person and a great flight attendant. she just made a mistake. a big one for sure but the TSA should've told her to go put it in her car and that should've been it IMO.

the LEO that drilled his desk with her gun has free reign inside the secure area of the PHL airport. that should scare the crap out of everyone.
    beararms likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Off-body carry lends itself to issues like this more than on-body carry, IMHO. It is not about a woman, or a man. If you have a gun sitting in your IWB, OWB or pocket, you are much less likely to forget its there. Comfortable rig or not. If you are used to carrying a bag with your personal items (purse for women, sometimes men carry small bags around) that sometimes houses a loaded firearm, and sometimes does not,...It would be MUCH easier to make a mistake and forget it is there.

Again: OMHO.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

One reason I am totally against off body carry,people carry guns in purses and brief cases and cars etc.then forget they have them until they enter a no gun zone,or find themselves crossing into Canada or Mexico,next thing they are sitting in jail
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    One reason I am totally against off body carry,people carry guns in purses and brief cases and cars etc.then forget they have them until they enter a no gun zone,or find themselves crossing into Canada or Mexico,next thing they are sitting in jail
    That or, if the purse/brief case/bag/etc gets stolen,...Your weapon is gone and can much more easily be used against you(!).

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Sponsored Links